Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I just recently bought a 98 ZX7R and have noticed that the bike, if left alone has a tendency to drift to the right. I first noticed it when I tried riding the bike with no steering inputs (hands off of handle bars) and it instantly started to drift to the right. Once I put my hands back on the handle bars, I noticed that for my bike to go straight, my bike had to be ever so lightly tilted to the right; if I tried keeping the bike visually leveled, that made the bike go left and it felt awkward. I just recently talked to the original owner and he just revealed to me that he noticed that as well. I should have noticed this prior to my purchase, but hindsight is always 20/20. I know, when I let go of the handle bars on my F4, I can go some distance without requiring steering input from the handle bars. The rear wheel shows that the bike is not riding along the center line. I've heard of a possibility that this could be caused by an uneven wear on the tires, but this seems doubtful. I'm no mechanic, but I suspect alignment? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Also, what would the repair costs be? BTW, the bike when idle, sounds like a diesel engine; is this normal? Is this a Kawa characteristic and/or a 750 CC? My only reference is the F4.

Thanks.

--Neo

------------------

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like your back tire isn't aligned. Look at the marks...if they say it's right, then use the trick in Motor Cyclist. Or take it to a shop.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
don't use the marks, that's how they end up not being aligned in the first place. use the string test. it's easy and very common sense, you'll need a swingarm stand.

but my thoughts are--

everywhere i've been in va has high crowned roads. the tire wear should be on the left because of the pitch of the road. it steers right because that's the way the road pushes it.

your f4 didn't do it because it's boatload lighter and your body positioning can prevent it better.

as for your diesel idle, turn the idle up. or clean carbs. sounds like your honeymoon is over.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited June 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me (!?) My 7R is rock solid at almost any speed. Sounds like the wheels are out of alignment (hopefully nothing more sinister). The alignment marks on the rear are notoriously unreliable so use them as a rough guide and use the string/plank technique and test rides to get it perfect. It may be worth getting a pro mechanic to look at for peace of mind.

As for the agricultural sound of the engine I'm afraid thats normal, but doesn't it sound sweet bouncing off the rev limiter! Especially with a race pipe!!

Once its sorted I'm sure you'll love the 7.

------------------
Got2BGreen
'99 ZX7R

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks; I'll be taking it to a mechanic to have looked at. Yeah, I didn't think ANY bike should have trouble keep a straight line (without hand input). Thanks all. BTW, any recommendations to a pipe? Someone recommended the MUZZYs...

--neo

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
muzzy's are round and loud, i like them. unfortunately putting a muzzy pipe on a suzuki is like putting a type r sticker on a a toyota. it can be done, it just doesn't seem right.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Basically Muzzy And Kawi are synonomous. There is a 98 7R I have my eye on. It has the stock system so I'll put a Muzzy on it if I buy it.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts