Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-I ride a 96' ZX11D and would like to get some input from folks who have upgraded their suspension (f/r). The rear shock is toast after 24,000 miles and definetly needs attention. For reasons of economy I'll probably have it rebuilt,but please let me know of your experiece with aftermarket units. I know Race-Tech and Progressive make fork springs for the ZX-anyone have any experience with either? It might be too much to hope for, but if you have found the "magic numbers" for the ZX's suspension settings please respond! I weigh 230 and most of my riding consists of moderate-core sport and sport-touring. I would love to hear from anyone who rides an 11' Thanks and good riding! Marty Barber

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
How are ya, Marty. If you want your zx11's chassis to perform as well as the motor does, this is what you have to do (P. S. I'm 6'2" at 225).
1) Progressive springs.
2) RaceTech Cartridge emulators
3) Fox Twin-clicker rear shock (or Ohlins, or Penske)

These three mods will completely transform the way your bike rides. Not only will it be more comfortable riding down the freeway, but it will go thru curves like a much smaller bike, with no wallowing. The total cost for all these mods is ~$800, but if you plan on keeping your bike and putting some miles on it, they're worth it. Also, steel brake lines help alot.
I don't think it's possible to get anywhere near this level by using the stock rear damper, regardless of modification.

------------------

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leon-Thanks for your reply!I'll check the prices on the rear shocks you recommended,but I would guess that the Ohlins are way out of my price range. I remember pricing the c artridge emulators a while back and it seems like they were around 500 bucks. The ultimate would be to find a wreck that has premium suspension but that's probably a needle in a haystack kind of thing. My goal,as you said in your reply is to control the wallowing in corners and also to reduce chattering in the front when braking hard over rippled pavement. Stainless lines are high on my wish list,but after stepping up to the ZX from an old CB750 the brakes are a revelation. I would love to hear any tips,tricks or wisdom regarding the ZX. Thanks! Marty Barber

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts