Sportbike World banner

zx-9r owners read

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  wheelie123 
#1 ·
Just changed my frt sprocket from factory 16t to 15 t. Oh my God is about all I can say. I was going to get rid of it and get a gsxr 1000 for more torque to ride wheelies easier and stuff but no need now. Funny thing is I have factory exhaust and no jet kit yet. When I get new systems the thing will be pure evil!!!!
Shannon

#4 ·
I just had the big-bore kit, cams and flat-slide carbs installed about a month ago. Already had it jetted and muzzy exhaust. It was kinda expensive and I was thinking about a GSXR1000 just like you but decided to keep the 9 and do some things to it since it's paid for. It'll power wheelie in 3rd now no problem, maybe if I change that sprocket I'd be able to do it in 4th he he he!

#5 ·
damn dude, I couldnt imagine mine with a big bore kit in it. I was going to do the same thing, but the mechanic said the big bore kit would be hard on the rods and you would severely shorten the life of the motor. He told me all I need is the complete muzzy system, jet ket, sprocket and timing advancer and thats all I would need. There's a guy who's got a 99 that has all that done here and has dyno'd 149 at the rear wheel. Geez with that big bore kit you have to be pushing 165 or 170.

#7 ·
Yeah I know the gearing change is incredible. I went the other direction first. I put a 44 tooth in the rear. I also have a 15 tooth for the front but I haven't put it in yet. But when I do.......look out. The only prob is my speedo and odometer are even more off than factory. I have it calculated at about 11% high from stock. I thought about putting a yellow box in but since this is a keeper bike I may just leave it as is, or disconnect the speedo sensor.

#9 ·
shannon muse said:
I wouldn't over do it if I were you. I tooth in the front is like adding 4 in the rear.
Yes 1 tooth in the front is like adding 4 in the rear, well 3 actually but that's neither here nor there for the point I'm about to make. Shannon Muse , what you did to your bike by replacing the front sprocket is good for wheelies and everything, but if you want to get any kind of decent life from your chain, you should replace the rear sprocket with a piece 3 teeth bigger. The reason for this is that your chain almost has to kink to get around that tiny front sprocket, but it will not complain whatsoever if it has to wrap around a slightly larger rear sprocket. It's the tight turns that get to it (kind of like a squid). My advice is that any time you are going to replace a sprocket to get more low end pull, replace the rear. It is more expensive, but it saves money in the long run in chain replacements that will be avoided.

Ride safe...Ride hard...

#10 ·
shannon muse said:
damn dude, I couldnt imagine mine with a big bore kit in it. I was going to do the same thing, but the mechanic said the big bore kit would be hard on the rods and you would severely shorten the life of the motor. He told me all I need is the complete muzzy system, jet ket, sprocket and timing advancer and thats all I would need. There's a guy who's got a 99 that has all that done here and has dyno'd 149 at the rear wheel. Geez with that big bore kit you have to be pushing 165 or 170.
Yeah, Muzzy claims more than 160hp with the big-bore kit and their exhaust. With the addition of the cams and carbs, I'm guessing a little more, maybe 165 or so, haven't had it dynoed yet. I heard the same thing about big bore kits shortening the life of the engine but Kawi makes a bulletproof rock-solid engine so it should hold up. I guess only time will tell. Take care man.

#12 ·
shannon muse said:
but the mechanic said the big bore kit would be hard on the rods and you would severely shorten the life of the motor
I don't know if the rods would be the source of the decreased engine life (assuming there is a life expectancy issue)????????? If the crank isn't changed then piston speed doesn't change and this is what I've always READ (i.e. I don't necessarily know squat) is the real deciding factor in rod failures.
Hey if the zx-11 can get a turbo and go from 140 to 200 hp why couldn't the zx-9 add 20 hp and be fine. Kawi always seems to have good engines ya' know.

#13 ·
Those ZX's use a Hall Effect (magnetic) sensor off the front sprocket for the speedometer (i.e. for a step-motor speedo). My room mate has a 2000 ZX-9R, so I am familiar with the bike(s) ;)

All you need is a YellowBox from Black Robotics to get your speedo recalibrated, heres the review I did on my site:

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/Reviews/YellowBox/yellowbox.html

This install was done on a Bandit 1200, but all the info is pretty much applicable to any Jap' bike with an electronic speedometer (step-motor) system.

Hope that helps,

#15 ·
you dont have to bounce mine if you weigh 135-140 pounds in 3rd gear, before i changed gears. I have to compensate with gears cause i weigh 205 naked, 215-220 with clothes boots and helmet. Also your bike weighs 30 pounds lighter than ours too!

#21 ·
shannon muse said:
at 60 mph Im pulling 3900 rpm's at 90 mph Im pulling 5800. Someone post their stock zx-9r's 60 and 90 rpm's please.
Shannon
it will read stock... the engine rpm and the speedo are linked...
until it is corrected...

in my stang when i went from 2.72:1 to 3.73:1 for a nice short ratio. i didnt resize the speedo tooth gear so it still said the same as before... the difference was the speedo was incorrect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.