Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me start off by saying that this is a real question, that will probably influence me on my next bike purchase.Second, i know the basic differences between the 2.
So heres where i run into problems, and i could use some input. So i guess i'll tell you what im going to do with the bike.

I am not buying a bike to ride on the track. It will probably never happen.
Im not concerned with my bike being the fastest around.
Twisties are one of my favorite things to do on a bike.
I do a good bit of long rides, 30-40 minutes.
And now a big one. I want a bike that will pull throttle only wheelies in second gear. 3rd would be good too, but i'd be happy with 2nd.

Well i guess thats it. The honda costs $10,599...While the Kaw costs $9,499. That leaves a grand to play around with. What, if anything, could i do to bring the kaw up in performance to better compare with the 954? Allthough this question is strictly directed toward the bikes in stock condition. As you may or may not have noticed, im leaning slightly toward the kaw...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tippmann said:
I do a good bit of long rides, 30-40 minutes.
Wha...? 30 minutes a long ride? Try 12 hours. ;)

Anyhoo...Not into the wheelie thing, just into riding far and fast....so can't help you there. Tough choice, both are great bikes. If 30 minutes is your longest ride, comfort has ZERO input into the decision equation. I've had VERY bad luck with my ZX-7 back in the early 90s, swearing off Kawi's forever, so I would go with the 954 personally. But both will suit your needs more than adequately.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Buy the 9. Earlier this year I was torn between the R1 and 9. I mulled over it from Oct to Feb when I bought my 9. The 2 biggest factors for my choice were: 1. I wasn't buying a track bike. 2. I absolutely loved the orange. After riding some of my buds R1's I know that the 9 was the right bike. They're not as popular as the other bikes so dealers will come down on price. I got mine for $8500. As far as making it comparable to the 954, it already is. For those of us lacking Rossi-like skill, how noticeable do you think they are? Hell even the bike rags had similar track times with them. It definitely isn't anywhere as "flickable" but with a little more effort abrupt changes aren't difficult.

If I was looking at for a new Kaw right now, I'd probably wait for fall to see if the ZX10 rumors come true. That'd be the only thing holding me up from buying a 9.

2nd gear wheelies damn sure aren't a problem.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I have never ridden either, but I have sat on a 954 a few times and it is not very comfortable. I have a friend at work who has one that says after about 15 minutes of riding his ass is killing him. If you go the 954 route I'd look into a new seat right away. Other than that I've heard nothing but good about the bike.

The Kawi on the other hand I know little to nothing about. Good luck on your choice and ride safe!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Buy the 9. You can get a better deal, then use the extra cash for gear, mods and/or some track lessons (to learn to ride better...we all need that).

A few guys in the local SB group have 9's and seem a damn sight more comfortable after 3-4 hours of brisk riding. Overall performance will not leave you wanting for more. Great Bike!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'd go with the Zx9 myself. Just a better all around bike. enough power for anyone, and very streetable. My next bike will probably be one!!!Jimmy G

·
Registered
325 Posts
I faced the same decision and went with the 9. It is much more comfortable and stable (very important attributes on the street). They are both great bikes but the 9 is probably the best open class "street" bike. I ride mine at least 80 miles per weekday on my commute and sometimes 250+ miles per day (all back roads) on weekends. For longer trips I take my Concours. I don't have the skills to exploit the very small handling advantage the Honda has and find it rather lacking in comfort.

The magazines all rant about how much better the other open class bikes are but in the end, lap times and 1/4 mile times, between the 9, the R1 and the 954, are within hundredths.

One thing I've noticed, ZX9Rs tend to be ridden by a more mature crowd (perhaps that says a lot more than any magazine test). Might be a deterrent if you are concerned with image.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the replies so far. But where are the opinions from the non-kaw riders? Common everybody.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm, thas a tuff one.... But if i have any suggestions, three letter CBR! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D Here is my 954, love it

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've riden neither, just read the same comparos as everyone else and sat on both at the dealer. I was also considering what to get for my next bike, when recent problems shoved that down the road a bit farther. Anyway, I had pretty much been leaning toward the ZX9R. I liked the looks of it, it was ALOT more comfortable to me than the 954, and the differance in power and lap times would never be noticed by me. It's a little heavier, but so am I! I want a quick, good handling, relatively comfortable, reliable, streetbike. According to all I've read in the mags (and on this site) the Kawi fits the bill.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here BanditBoy.

I should also say that im not very mechanically inclined. So i dont want a bike that im gonna have to piss with alot. Other than the basics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The one and only - R-1 baby

Two letters R-1. Go down and look one. Read any current motocycle magazine etc........ That is all I have to say.

Jim out:drool:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: The one and only - R-1 baby

Jims748Duc said:
Two letters R-1. Go down and look one. Read any current motocycle magazine etc........ That is all I have to say.

Believe it or not, R-1 does not equal 2 letters. R is a letter. 1 is a number.
Plus it wasn't on the list.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I stand corrected

Tippman - I stand corrected, thankyou for the schooling. I realize the R-1 was not on the list however, I thought that you may want to expand your selection criteria and therefore I suggested the R-1 - why:
Answer: 1. It kicks major ass 24/7.
2. Read any article in a major motorcycle magazine
magazine and you will find the R-1 at the top.
Anyway that is my two cents for what it is worth.

Jim out

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: I stand corrected

Jims748Duc said:
Tippman - I stand corrected, thankyou for the schooling. I realize the R-1 was not on the list however, I thought that you may want to expand your selection criteria and therefore I suggested the R-1 - why:
Answer: 1. It kicks major ass 24/7.
2. Read any article in a major motorcycle magazine
magazine and you will find the R-1 at the top.
Anyway that is my two cents for what it is worth.

Jim out

Actually, having read most of the Mag. reviews myself, I'd like you to show me where the R1 kick the ZX9R's ass in any of the areas
Bandit Boy said were MOST important to him. As an everyday rider, the Kawi is found to be superior in many cases. eg The generous ergos, size and weight make it a better sport tourer. Yes I know the R1 is a better "sport" bike, but I recall one review where the Kawi's track times surprised the testers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Magazines - ok

I am just giving you guy shit, but if you insist here are some magazines that rate the R-1 at the top.

1. Sport Rider (August 2002)
Pg 54 "And that leaves the GSX-R and the R1 at the top and that is a tough call. The Yamaha is out pick for the better streetbike by a slim margin. In the end they picked the GSX-r as #1 because of its advantages on the track.

2. Cycle world (June 2001):
It's lively handling and even lifelier engine performance will fill your day with deeds of GP derring-do. etc.... They also picked the GSXR because of its power etc...

3. Cycle World (June 2002)
pg 50: While the R-1 chassis is more responsive and track ready than its predecessor, it also provides the most street comfort of the three. et...... The restyled R-1 looks sexy as an F-22 rapter and really does feel refined. It's the best-balanced of these three and a damn good streetbike, maybe the best for most backroad aces. They also crowned the GSXR

4. Roadracing WOrld (May 2002): Between GSXR, 954, R-1 and ZX-9R: "In stock trim the R1 handled better than all the others and had the smoothest and most user-friendly power delivery.
Comments about the ZX-9R: The bike had some good features. Its carburetion was very good with a throttle response that rivaled that of the R1. The brakes wer the absolute best of the bunch. On the downside, the transmission was awful - it jumped out of gear for everyone. It was about 30 pounds heavier than the others. It steers slower and it accelerates slower than all the rest. The front suspension felt way too soft. As with the ZX-6R, the ZX9R is just not in its elements on the racetrack.......

Theses are just a few articles that I have, would you like more????
Don't take things too harsh, most of the time people are just playing around on these forums and it is all in good fun.

Jim out

The R-1 always, did I say always, is at the top whether it is up against the Honda 954 (great bike) , the GSXR (great bike) or the ZX-9R. It seems that most comparisons are of the 954, R-1 and GSXR.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
for what you want, the 9 is the better choice. it's a better all around bike and if you go for long rides, the seat is WAY better than the 954's. as for the twisties, the 9 will take 'em, but not without effort (compared to the 954). and if power wheelies are what you're after, both will pull them with ease. the best thing to do is try both out. see if some friends will let you ride them. the reason i say this is because there may be something about one of the bikes when you ride them that you might not like.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: Re: I stand corrected

oldgixer said:

....... I'd like you to show me where the R1 kicks the ZX9R's ass in any of the areas Bandit Boy said were MOST important to him. ......
LIKE I SAID

I actually read most if not all of those reviews. Look at the latest 2002 reviews and check the specific areas Banditboy specified. In these cases the Kawi did very well, in no case did the R1 kick it's ass.

If you make me go through my old mags in the garage I may have to go track you down and Bitch-Slap you.:twofinger :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts