Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for ya, I rode a guys 97 CBR900 and I could throw that thing around like a 2 dollar ho. The front end on that thing is so light, compared to mine. I thought then that bike weighed tons less than mine until I looked up the specs. It's actually 2 pounds heavier. Are zx-9's just made this way or is my suspension not set up right or what. I just fell in love with that CBR.
Shannon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,517 Posts
The Pre- 1998 RR was like that from what I've been told. that 16" wheel probably is lighter and the brakes are two pot... I dont know but I bet the wheelbase is less too.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
That just goes to show you how outdated the ZX9R's design is. That's not meant as a slam against Kawasaki, either. It's just a fact that even a *1997* CBR900RR is a better-handling bike than a 2001 ZX9R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Pete said:
That just goes to show you how outdated the ZX9R's design is. That's not meant as a slam against Kawasaki, either. It's just a fact that even a *1997* CBR900RR is a better-handling bike than a 2001 ZX9R.
Thanks alot, Pete....
Now can I borrow one of your guns & a bullet to put
myself out of my misery.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
ZX9R bikes are more stable at high speed cornering. So with that I welcome the heavy feel. The CBR's front wheel being a 16 in'er does make the bike steer faster and there for feel lighter. I still wouldn't give up my Kaw.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Cam McFarland said:
Thanks alot, Pete....
Now can I borrow one of your guns & a bullet to put
myself out of my misery.......
Just do it out in the yard, I don't want the gun to get scratched when it falls.

FWIW, my post was made in jest. I've never ridden a '97 CBR900RR nor any ZX9R, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Here Cam, let me help you get that hook out of your lip. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Pete said:


Just do it out in the yard, I don't want the gun to get scratched when it falls.

FWIW, my post was made in jest. I've never ridden a '97 CBR900RR nor any ZX9R, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Here Cam, let me help you get that hook out of your lip. :D
To hell with my lip, its all the way in my gullet...:) ;) :D
As you know, I dont turn too often anyway......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
That steering "feel" has more to do with front end geometry than actual weight. Another thing worth noting is that the "lighter feel" is accompanied with a higher propensity to "head shake", therefore the need for steering dampers. A couple of other things that add to the heavy feel are wider tires and tires that are worn more in the center than the edges as is usually encountered on street bikes, especially with a lot of interstate riding or straight road riding. In that case, new tires will make the bike feel lighter again. In the REAL tight stuff the lighter feel would be nice, but for most of my riding I don't mind the heavier feel with virtually no chance of a headshake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
shannon muse said:
Question for ya, I rode a guys 97 CBR900 and I could throw that thing around like a 2 dollar ho. The front end on that thing is so light, compared to mine. I thought then that bike weighed tons less than mine until I looked up the specs. It's actually 2 pounds heavier. Are zx-9's just made this way or is my suspension not set up right or what. I just fell in love with that CBR.
Shannon
Check this review....it compares those two bikes

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/900sports_96.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
shannon muse said:
rhats a cool review. Funny RWHP on mine is 132 now, stock. They made a serious jump from 97 to 2001

Thats more than mine with the full exhaust......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no it's not, yours is the same. Thats what 2001's dyno at. I got a buddy that has 149, dyno'd at barracuda motorsports. before and after mods. He has timing advancer, full muzzy system, stage 3 jet kit, and 15t sprocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
shannon muse said:
no it's not, yours is the same. Thats what 2001's dyno at. I got a buddy that has 149, dyno'd at barracuda motorsports. before and after mods. He has timing advancer, full muzzy system, stage 3 jet kit, and 15t sprocket.

I had mine dynoed before & after also.....only 131.5 after, something like
121.5 before.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
Numbers will vary from dyno to dyno. Especially different types or models of dyno's. So unless you guys are getting runs on the same dyno and with the same atmospheric conditions your numbers will be all over the place.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top