Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I looked high and low for an undertail that suits my fancy, and I think I found one from Graphic Art Moto Design. It completely eliminates the mess of an undertail (the bulky stock one) which means it eliminates the stock rear signals. There are LED signals mounted within the undertail, which I assume would work equally, if not better to the stock signals, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is a legal modification in the state of PA...I did a lot of mods to my car, and I'm just scraping by on a few legalities, and I don't want to run into the same prob with my sportbike. Here's the undertail website if your curious:
http://www.graphicartmotodesign.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am also in PA, 2 of my friends have wired up there tail lights to be there turn signals. According to them its illegal, but oh well. Its illegal because the turn signal have to be a certain distance apart. I think they said 9 inches, so if the signals are less that 9" apart they would be illegal

·
Registered
530 Posts
ILLEGAL.............Due to the lighting being less than 85% of the OEM lighting. Furthermore, the turnsignals are further restricted due to the "reduced" lateral viewing of the signals when illuminated! ;)

Like most states...........Cali included. The turnsignals must be visible at angles greater than 130 degrees to as much as 180 degrees when illuminated! :thumb:

Press Hard 4 Copies!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

P.S. Look for systems that are "DOT" approved!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in NJ and I just ordered one about 4 hours before i saw this post. I'll let you know if i get pulled over for it. I ordered the clear lens too for the tail lights w/ the red LEDs.
My car also is just getting by. I don't think the cops like it too much when your vette doesnt have mufflers but from what i see its legal. Lets not even get into no cats on the car;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
ILLEGAL.............Due to the lighting being less than 85% of the OEM lighting. Furthermore, the turnsignals are further restricted due to the "reduced" lateral viewing of the signals when illuminated! ;)

Like most states...........Cali included. The turnsignals must be visible at angles greater than 130 degrees to as much as 180 degrees when illuminated! :thumb:

Press Hard 4 Copies!

Johnny

P.S. Look for systems that are "DOT" approved!
I've had my turn signals in my taillight for quite awhile when I modified the tail section & have yet to be pulled over:cool: That doesn't mean they're legal just that the cops haven't taken notice. They are visible 180 degrees though. There is no way of course they are 9 inches apart. 2 inches maybe.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the Graphic Art undertail on my wifes 6R. No problems so far. In California there are NO requirements as to how far apart the signals must be or how much illumination there must be, according to the California vehicle code book available from your local DMV for a few bucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice looking ZX-6R. I'm ordering one for mine two along with the clear taillight. Just an observation...aren't you more likely to be pulled over for the plate location rather than the turn signals. I thought the graphic moto undertail came with a stainless steel plate bracket mounted near the LED trun signals?

·
Registered
275 Posts
LooseCannon said:
Nice looking ZX-6R.
Thanks
Just an observation...aren't you more likely to be pulled over for the plate location rather than the turn signals.
Probably
I thought the graphic moto undertail came with a stainless steel plate bracket mounted near the LED trun signals?
It does, I just thought this looked better. Robert from Graphics Arts sells awesome stuff and I can't wait for the undertail for my 2002 R1. I highly reccomend his stuff to anyone.

·
Registered
530 Posts
FYI............The version that you have purchased from the DMV...........Is that the "Quick Code" or the "complete" and "unabridged" California Vehicle Code book?

If it is the "Quick Code"...............So sorry Charlie. This "watered-down" version of the "traffic law" book is 1/12th the size of the "full" version!

FYI...........Go to your local CHP Office and ask for a "DOT Certified" Officer to "inspect" for legalities. THEN LET's SEE WHAT YOUR POSITION IS THEN EINSTEIN!

Johnny

·
Registered
530 Posts
FYI.............Look, masticate and digest the following:

1) CVC 24252 (a) (b) (c) (1) (2)
2) CVC 24253 (b)
3) CVC 24951 (4)
4) CVC 24952 et al "plainly visible"

A prudent Officer that would like to "write" a site on your machine could, would and take your personal time & money! :D

Furthermore, CVC 27202 (4) would also apply due to your "non-compliance" of the "Sound Limits" section of the CVC which is set @ 80db! MODIFICATION OF EXHAUST..............+ + +..............:(

Put frankly...........You never know who you talk to. So.........Your luck has been good for NOW! But everything comes to an end.

God Bless & Ride Safe!

Johnny

·
Registered
530 Posts
As to the "tucked" license plate.............Citation waiting to happen. Here's why!

1) CVC 5200 "....it shall be attached to the rear thereof".
2) CVC 5201 "....in a position to be clearly visible....."

Definitely having a sphincter moment :thumb:

Johnny

"Who needs the COPS or the LAW.........Until you need a COP or legal assistance"! Aye ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know in Fla. I see quite a few bikes with custom undertails. and some guys hide their plates. ..can barely see it . from your pic ..yours looks visible.. Is your plate lit up for nite riding though?my exhaust can had a sticker on it that read."for off road use only" needless to sayI destroyed the evidence.My decible level does'nt come close to those harleys that are running the LOUD pipes. If you get stopped..It really depends on the officer ..I would'nt worry about it in Fla. dont know about Cal. Just know I would NOT want to live there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was my impression that California was more focused on curtailing the import street racing scene rather than making sure rider's bikes are in accordance with the CVC. However Jammy Johnny's comments lead me to believe that if you get pulled over for speeding or something else you should expect a citation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
FYI.............Look, masticate and digest the following:

1) CVC 24252 (a) (b) (c) (1) (2)
2) CVC 24253 (b)
3) CVC 24951 (4)
4) CVC 24952 et al "plainly visible"

A prudent Officer that would like to "write" a site on your machine could, would and take your personal time & money! :D

Furthermore, CVC 27202 (4) would also apply due to your "non-compliance" of the "Sound Limits" section of the CVC which is set @ 80db! MODIFICATION OF EXHAUST..............+ + +..............:(

Put frankly...........You never know who you talk to. So.........Your luck has been good for NOW! But everything comes to an end.

God Bless & Ride Safe!

Johnny
If your referring to me the exhaust is stock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jammin_Johnny said:
As to the "tucked" license plate.............Citation waiting to happen. Here's why!

1) CVC 5200 "....it shall be attached to the rear thereof".
2) CVC 5201 "....in a position to be clearly visible....."

Definitely having a sphincter moment :thumb:

Johnny

"Who needs the COPS or the LAW.........Until you need a COP or legal assistance"! Aye ;)
Yes I have no doubt that I or my wife would get a ticket for the plate but I will take my chances, to me it is of no consequence ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts