Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but not to sportbikes, i currrently own a '95 ZX6E3 and have a question for you Zedheads. Would a 170/60ZR17 tire fit on the stock rim and
between the stock swingarm? If so any problems, abnormal tire wear, modifications safety concerns, handling pros/cons...etc. Also, would a 199? ZX-9R swingarm and rim/tire fit this bike? I'm looking for a wider tire for cosmetic and stability reasons. If anyone has any insight or opinions on this it would be much appreciated. Thanx

------------------
RedZed-rider

'95 ZX6E3 "RedZed" (in development)
'92 GSF400 Bandit (wifey caught the bike bug!)
'87 EX250R (Pocket Rocket)

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Red,

I would stick with the stock 160 on the rear. Larger tires on smaller diamater (sp) rims change the handeling of the bike a lot. I have a 5 1/2 inch rim on my 98ZX9R and I tried a 190 size tire and it sucked. When you put a larger tire on a smaller rim you loose a lot in your "contact patch".

P.S. A 98ZX9R (99 is the same) Swing-arm and rim will not fit your bike without extensive mods, and I doubt if the 2000 will either.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx, it was just an idea cuz My fathers RF900 has a larger rear tire and it seems a lot more stable, harder to corner, but more stable on the straights, now that i think of it I might not want it to be slower in the corners!

------------------
RedZed-rider

'95 ZX6E3 "RedZed" (in development)
'92 GSF400 Bandit (wifey caught the bike bug!)
'87 EX250R (Pocket Rocket)

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you have a 5.0 rear rim then a 170 will easily and safely fit your bike. I originally had a 160, changed to 170, I even measured tread width, and the 170 was 1/4 inch wider. Basically it is hard to even tell you have a wider tire unless you get out the tape measurer. FYI a 180 will fit safely on a 5.0 rim, even though it is not recomended, because the tire bows somewhat from being on a narrow rim.

Trevor

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just stick with the stock tires size!
Upgrade the tire not the size.

------------------
Fear Green.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts