Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this form. And I am in the market for my firsrt street bike. I am stuck between the SV650 (not SV650s) or the ZR-7s. The main purpose for the use of the biek is to commute. I am 5'8'' tall and weigh 155#'s any feed back would be great on inline 4 VS. V-Twin.

Thanks,

Tony

:confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
The SV650 is by far the more modern bike. Aluminum frame, lighter, arguably better engine, easier/lighter handling.
The ZR7 is a model that's been around for quite some time. It's a great bike, no doubt, but... I'd spend my dough on the Suzuki.

·
Registered
182 Posts
AFAIK, it used to be called the zephyr. they changed the plastic a bit, but it's the same motor and steel cradle frame.

·
Registered
138 Posts
SV650. Spend a couple days on a tight, twisty track and you will be envious of all the SV's buzzing around. They are light, cheap and easy to rebuild. Insurance will probably save you some money too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
noel!!

Between the two I would go with the SV650S. It's a great all around bike. Got the respect of the magazines so riders who don't have one will tell you you have made a wise decision. Plus, as someone said earlier in the twisties, that ride is nice.

Noel

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
cigar76 got more answers in another post in 'daily rider' for the same subject.
Lord Tim the ZR7 has a completely different set up, cradle frame yes, but single shock and many other differences.
The engine is a little stronger, but otherwise the same.
I agree that the SV is much more fun and tested it, but I don't fit on it at all :(
Maybe I need more exercise :D
I rode my friends 929 for an hour on Sunday in the twisties and couldn't walk for another hour...
How much is 5'8 in metres? I 'm 1.90 metres

Aris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cigar76,

Buy the Suzuki SV650S!!!
I have owned mine for about a 2 years and I'm still finding changes I can make to it. The aftermarket parts for this bike are crazy there are so many. This was my first bike too. I bought it for 6,500 out the door and I'm very happy I went with the SVS. It's a blast to ride, flickable, light, powerful and I have heard it can beat an in-line 4 in the twisties anyday. (I havn't had the chance yet-that's just what I heard). Anyway go to SVRIDER.COM and look around I think you'll be pleased. PEACE! Get back if you want more info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
zr-7s is heavier,more wind resistant and much better commuter and long trip bike than sv650. Has as much acceleration and is OK on the back roads. Very good gas milage (45-50) and large gas tank with guage. Had one for 6 months with 6 k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts