1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all
i am new to this site and hope you can help i have a 1998 yzf thundercat 600
the problem is when i have been on the bike for about 70 mile the battery
goes flat when i have stopped and try to start it wont if i bump it then it starts it has a new battery some one said willbe regulater but where on the bike is this hope you can help

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
First thing to look into in my mind would be the rectifier (regulator) under the seat. If the rectifier is good, then it may be a stator problem. I can't find the manual online for the location/test criteria, but the info should be in the shop manual to tell you exactly what to look for. If it's not the rectifier, it's probably the stator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing to look into in my mind would be the rectifier (regulator) under the seat. If the rectifier is good, then it may be a stator problem. I can't find the manual online for the location/test criteria, but the info should be in the shop manual to tell you exactly what to look for. If it's not the rectifier, it's probably the stator.
thanks i will check today to see if under the seat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Friends,

Get the Alternator checked to make sure it's pushing out enough power to run the bike and charge the battery. Or maybe the battery is on it's way out, possibly even the rectifier/regulator is intermittently playing up. The odd bump start shouldn't cause a problem, so I wouldn't imagine the starting problems are related to you running concerns, but if it's not running right cover the basics first, such as:
i) Are the Spark plugs in good condition. Remove, Clean and replace if necessary.
ii) Is the air filter clogged up. Remove inspect and replace if necessary
iii) Are the plug leads in good condition. remove a plug and hold it in with some insulated pliers
touch the electrode against the engine and turn the starter motor, you should see the spark
between the electrodes, also run the bike (all assembled) in the dark (unlit garage) to see if
the current is escaping through the leads and arcing across each other)
iv) Are the carbs syncronised correctly.

Thanks and Regards,
Umang Kumar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts