Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has an idea or two for something that has yet to be invented. I'm not talking about 'out of this world' inventions... but rather, inventions we currently have the technology to create, but have yet to be created.

I'll start.

How about a bluetooth interrupt to integrate your cellphone into your wired MP3 / Headphones.

The box would plug into your MP3 Player, and have a socket for your headphones to plug into. It operates normally until you receive a phone call. When you have a call, the box would switch from your MP3 player to your bluetooth enabled phone for the duration of the call.

I have a bluetooth headset that will do this, but they are not sound isolating, so I started thinking about this as a way to use any headphones you wish to accomplish the same thing. I searched around for almost two days, but it appears no such thing exists yet.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Could you type a little bit slower? I'm trying to write this all down.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Not sure if you're aware of this, but putting any idea into print prevents one from creating a patent at any time in the future for the same idea. Well, in the US at least.

The more I observe the actions of executives, the more I lean toward starting my own company.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
kanwisch said:
Not sure if you're aware of this, but putting any idea into print prevents one from creating a patent at any time in the future for the same idea. Well, in the US at least.
Time to gather my collection of cocktail napkins and call my lawyer...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kanwisch said:

The more I observe the actions of executives, the more I lean toward starting my own company.

Only if one wishes to reserve the rights.

I do not. I just want to buy one so I can have what I want.

I hearby waive all rights to retain patents on my formentioned idea. Now someone build the damn thing!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I brought this idea up to my boss last year. I'll have to scan in the "official" document I used to call the meeting. Met with VP of marketing, engineering and sales for a lunch meeting.

The Camera BP. Take a picture and it will tell you your BP reading. Was a great meeting. They had a great laugh and told me it wasn't feasible. I responded "what if we used x-ray or something." LOL

Love making shit up. I have tons of idea's like this. Including the ghost busters camera system, which is a real invention of mine. I think I'll created a roll cage for a motorcycle or an anti-deer suppression unit (.30 machine gun). I'll have to get FDA approved since the 2nd part of the business plan would be to sell the meat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
860 Posts
kanwisch said:
Well, in the US at least.

As I understand it, China is really throwing a wrench into it. While I can't say it's 100% true. I've heard of Chinese companies using tooling from patented products and remaking them as their own. Then competing internationally with the company they stole the tooling from.

As for my own inventions. Well, I haven't had much since someone already made the singing fish on a plaque.

Not too long ago, I was welding steel cages for this Vietnamese guy. It was part of some machine that took the feathers off a chicken. I don't know how well he is doing, but at the time, I made something like 20 cages and he was selling them for $800.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Thermostat like controls for the water in the shower.

As for patents, the vast majority of the time, they are not worth getting. Its pretty easy to engineer around them, and then the original creator has to put up the capital to defend his idea, which start ups just dont have. Just enjoy the first 6 months of not having competition to achieve some market penetration, and then live off the brand name

·
Registered
699 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
Everyone has an idea or two for something that has yet to be invented. I'm not talking about 'out of this world' inventions... but rather, inventions we currently have the technology to create, but have yet to be created.

I'll start.

How about a bluetooth interrupt to integrate your cellphone into your wired MP3 / Headphones.

The box would plug into your MP3 Player, and have a socket for your headphones to plug into. It operates normally until you receive a phone call. When you have a call, the box would switch from your MP3 player to your bluetooth enabled phone for the duration of the call.

I have a bluetooth headset that will do this, but they are not sound isolating, so I started thinking about this as a way to use any headphones you wish to accomplish the same thing. I searched around for almost two days, but it appears no such thing exists yet.
http://direct.motorola.com/ens/s705/Headset_Home.asp

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
As I understand it, China is really throwing a wrench into it. While I can't say it's 100% true. I've heard of Chinese companies using tooling from patented products and remaking them as their own. Then competing internationally with the company they stole the tooling from.
Yes, this happens. The problem the Chinese have is that Western Europe and North America ban those companies from doing business in their locales, thus negating the value the Chinese were driving toward. A good example of this was some Chinese auto manu's copying BMW (I think), patented technology and design and just re-branding it. They got kicked out of some auto shows. Sorry, don't recall details but Google probably would provide some new links.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
Yes, this happens. The problem the Chinese have is that Western Europe and North America ban those companies from doing business in their locales, thus negating the value the Chinese were driving toward. A good example of this was some Chinese auto manu's copying BMW (I think), patented technology and design and just re-branding it. They got kicked out of some auto shows. Sorry, don't recall details but Google probably would provide some new links.
There is a factory in china making zippo lighters. Not for zippo mind you, just lighters with zippo stamped on them. When those lighters brake, people send them into the real zippo since those have a lifetime warranty. That company can either fix them at a loss, or look like asses to people whom believed were their customers.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Vash said:
There is a factory in china making zippo lighters. Not for zippo mind you, just lighters with zippo stamped on them. When those lighters brake, people send them into the real zippo since those have a lifetime warranty. That company can either fix them at a loss, or look like asses to people whom believed were their customers.
Not really. Oakley has no issue telling those people they're SOL and I haven't seen Oakley take any kind of hit in their quarterly financials.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I heard that story from their tool and die guy around mid '02. At the time, they were fixing the fake lighters.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
kanwisch said:
Not really. Oakley has no issue telling those people they're SOL and I haven't seen Oakley take any kind of hit in their quarterly financials.
If you buy a pair of "Oakley's" for $20, you know you aren't getting the real thing, no matter what the sales pitch is, and chances are, you're not a typical Oakley customer. So if they refuse to repair or replace the fake ones, I doubt it's having an effect on their actual customer base.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts