• 1501+

Votes: 17 12.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just wanting to get an idea what my fellow riders are paying per year in insurance with a poll. So I have some comparisons to do with bikes and age.

Mine is right around 1000 per year on a 600cc sportbike, and I am wandering how you guys are getting it cheaper. I've checked everywhere.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
spicersh and I have one bike left out of three :crying:

current: 2002 Buell Blast - $19/mo for 50/100 with State Farm, both of us are 26, clean driving records, policy in Indiana.

had: 2000 Honda F4 - $32/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 25, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.
This bike was also insured in IN - $30/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, spicersh only at 22, clean driving record.

had: 2002 Honda XX - $38/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 24, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.

We initially had the Buell listed with Harley-Davidson Insurance and they were charging us $75/month for 15/30! :rolleyes:

If you currently have an auto/reters/homeowners with State Farm, I would give them a call and see what they can do for you for motorcycle insurance. If you have no policies, don't bother calling as they will not write a stand-alone policy for motorcycles.

We have auto, renters, personal line and motorcycle with them, so we get quite a few discounts on premiums (multi-line, muti-car, good driver and longevity).

HTH

~spicerke :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
spicerke said:
spicersh and I have one bike left out of three :crying:

current: 2002 Buell Blast - $19/mo for 50/100 with State Farm, both of us are 26, clean driving records, policy in Indiana.

had: 2000 Honda F4 - $32/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 25, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.
This bike was also insured in IN - $30/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, spicersh only at 22, clean driving record.

had: 2002 Honda XX - $38/mo for 100/300 with State Farm, both of us were 24, I had one speeding ticket, policy in California.

We initially had the Buell listed with Harley-Davidson Insurance and they were charging us $75/month for 15/30! :rolleyes:

If you currently have an auto/reters/homeowners with State Farm, I would give them a call and see what they can do for you for motorcycle insurance. If you have no policies, don't bother calling as they will not write a stand-alone policy for motorcycles.

We have auto, renters, personal line and motorcycle with them, so we get quite a few discounts on premiums (multi-line, muti-car, good driver and longevity).

HTH

~spicerke :D
What she said. :D

I'm glad she put this down because I didn't want to have to type it all out yet again. You might try doing a search as this has been covered many many times over. Almost as frequently asked as "What bike for a new rider?"

:thumb:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
spicersh said:

I'm glad she put this down because I didn't want to have to type it all out yet again.
More like: I pay the bills and you have no idea how much insurance is!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe, right now I use farmers insurance, which won't even cover sportbikes anymore, and to get a standalone insurance from anybody else is insane 1000-1500.

I Just got a business card from a state farm worker near to my home, I may give them a call and see what an insurance quote would be for everything I own.

Which would be a homeowners, 3 cars, 3 motorcycles. Some of this I inherited when I got married.

So hopefully that will help a ton.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Raimey7 said:
hehe, right now I use farmers insurance, which won't even cover sportbikes anymore, and to get a standalone insurance from anybody else is insane 1000-1500.

I Just got a business card from a state farm worker near to my home, I may give them a call and see what an insurance quote would be for everything I own.

Which would be a homeowners, 3 cars, 3 motorcycles. Some of this I inherited when I got married.

So hopefully that will help a ton.
As far as motorcycles go, I've yet to see anyone who beat State Farm. IF you hold other policies with them. Hope it goes well! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
$636 per year State Farm Stand-Alone

$25K/$50k Injury
$50K Property
$10K/$20K Uninsured/Underinsured

One accident a couple of years ago (deemed my fault, :finger: in a cage) and one ticket for a seatbelt (No points, again in a cage)

State Farm is clearly the most reasonable if you can get it. The agent wasn't sure if they were still writing bike stand-alone policies. He told me that it depended on your driving record, age, etc. He also said it helped that I have a clean and clear CDL. I've used Progressive and looked at GEICO. Progressive was reasonable a couple of years ago ($1000~ for full coverage) but my last renewal with them I dropped the full coverage (low funds) and they wanted $1400 just for BASIC coverage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have State Farm and pay less than $450/year for full coverage with personal injury protection (PIP) on my Ninja.

A lot of factors play into how much you pay: sex, age, marital status, location, make and model of bike, driving history, deductible, etc. Some offer discounts for the MSF course, but note that the discount isn't on the total premium, it's usually on the collision portion only. In the above scenario I wouldn't be saving $67.50/year with a 15% discount, but more like $25.

I could cut my premium in half if I didn't take the PIP, which means that in an accident that was my fault, they wouldn't pay for my medical expenses. Not a risk I'm willing to take despite the fact that I have decent health insurance; I don't want to mediate a fight between the two, I've been down that road before, but that's another story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a ton guys!!!

I went and got a quote on my house and cars with my sportbike, instead of approx $1000 a year it is now down to $219 a year,

And my house insurance went down $100 a year as well.

Cheers ;) and thanks to all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: insurance per year

montiko31 said:
call me lucky, but i pay only 9 dollers per month, which comes out to about 108 per year with state farm(ks). Im riding a 600f4i
HOLY CRAP how'd you swing that deal!!! Is that full coverage?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Re: Re: insurance per year

Gottico said:
HOLY CRAP how'd you swing that deal!!! Is that full coverage?
I'm guessing liability only. If it is full coverage then let us know who you use!:thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
$1400 a year full coverage with $2500 in accessories covered.

Im 19 and only have 1 point left on my liscense from a speeding ticket 55 over the limit 110 in a 55 (stupid mistake). So I guess its not too bad of a rate.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
AaronWilliams said:
$1400 a year full coverage with $2500 in accessories covered.

Im 19 and only have 1 point left on my liscense from a speeding ticket 55 over the limit 110 in a 55 (stupid mistake). So I guess its not too bad of a rate.
Holy shit I thought my 20 over was bad. lol..how many points did that get ya? Or rather..how long was your license suspended?

·
Registered
72 Posts
didnt get suspended but in NY we start with 11 points my lawyer got it knocked down from the original 3 tickets 1- 55 MPH over 2- Reckless Driving 3- Operating on a Permit to 8 point speeding ticket and 2 point failure to obey a traffic control device. So now if i look at a cop wrong i lose the DL

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
$588.00 year 40 years old and a perfect record State Farm im gettin screwed compared to ya'll with state farm

1 - 20 of 48 Posts