• OTHER

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first trick you did. Stoppie, Wheelie, Other, on a SPORTBIKE. For me I popped little wheelies first, but I actually learned how to do a decent stoppie first, they just felt more natural to me. It was the same way for me riding freestyle bicycles, I have always been more comfortable on the front tire. Come to think of it I learned frontflips before backflips on a snowboard first as well. For me It seems I am more comfortable revolving frontwards than backwards. Wheelies and stoppies are just half flips anyway, only you half to stay at the balance point as opposed to rotate around it. :confused: Fill out the poll and tell about your first stunt experience!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jab, I have the exact same story as you. Little popcorn wheelies but stoppies were easier. I'm still working on wheelies. I need to just goose it in second gear. I'm too afraid of what first gear can do

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
for my FIRST stunt, i was learning how to ride:D
for my SECOND stunt, i mastered it;)
for my THIRD stunt, i think i'll get married...NOT:twofinger

·
Registered
6 Posts
stopped burnout is the only thing i've had the balls to try so far

954rr...isn't to difficult breaking the rear loose :D

rolling burnout is next

did a short wheelie in the parking lot of a gas station 3 days after i got the bike BY ACCIDENT :eek: stopped to get gas & the dickhead wouldn't turn on the pump...said i had to prepay:finger: it won't hold more than $6 w/ premium!!!!

i got pissed & hit the gass a lil too much & popped the clutch & UP SHE CAME!!!:eek: i won't be trying that anytime soon :hurl:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Still working on the wheelies. By the way, I was told by a friend at the Yamaha dealor down here that riding a wheelie was kind of like a gyro. With the front wheel spinnning, it causes a gyro effect to help balance the bike. Does anybody know if this is true. He also said that if you let the front end down at, say a hundred miles an hour, after the front wheel stops turning it can knock you over the front end of the bike. Know I do believe this. But the gyro thing, what do ya'll think?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure about the gyro thing. I guess if you got down to the scietific facts there may be a formula that supports that, and shows mathmatically that it has some affect on the balance. In real world riding though there are so many other major factors such as body position and throttle/brake input that the gyro effect of the front wheel spinning is unnoticable and obsolete. As far as putting the front wheel down at high speeds after it has stopped spinning, it deffinately will let a puff of smoke in the air and lurch the bike slightly, but as long as your bars are straight and your bike is level I would not worry about it ever throwing you off. However if your bars are crossed or your bike is leaning over you are going to have serious problems. Wristbreaking tankslappers being the most common, whether you ride it out or go for a solo flight down the tarmac will be left up to instict and a lot of luck, or lack there of!! It will happens so quick you wont get a chance to think about it, and make any type of pre-meditated decision as to how to survive, You will just react from instinct.. Whether your instincts are correct or not is where practice comes into play. Thats why it is so important to educate yourself on the proven correct ways to ride/race/stunt etc a bike is that so when that day comes that you wont have time to think, your body and mind will be trained from repetition to instictively react in the most effective manner for the situation, and leave you sitting there thinking (What the F#%k just happened, and How the F#%k did I survive???):rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
my first bike was a katana 600 in 1995 and when i got it, 3 of my buddies got bikes too (all first timers for streetbikes) well we decided to all drive from pensacola out to panama city and pose, we stopped at a burger king, and 3 little kids we're like (hey do a wheelie, do a wheelie) so me being the crowd pleaser i am with my girl on back dumped the clutch almost at redline.....my girls backpack hit the ground, and i slammed on the brakes, of course the kids we're all jumping and yelling, and i waved to them as i drove off, but 10 min later away from burger king, i stopped to check my britches, and proceeded to get the beat down from my girl!!!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
HHAHAHAHAH wade i do not know if i believe you 12'ed it with your lady on the back for your first wheelie, that is just fREAKING crazy......you are gonna have to track down those kids for me to believe you.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
Still working on the wheelies. By the way, I was told by a friend at the Yamaha dealor down here that riding a wheelie was kind of like a gyro. With the front wheel spinnning, it causes a gyro effect to help balance the bike. Does anybody know if this is true. He also said that if you let the front end down at, say a hundred miles an hour, after the front wheel stops turning it can knock you over the front end of the bike. Know I do believe this. But the gyro thing, what do ya'll think?
not true at all. there's a local guy with a 954 that is alsways doing long high speed wheelies. the front wheel stops rotating from brake drag. when he brings it down there's like a vortex of tire smoke. it's awesome to see. i noticed a lot of gsx-r's do this too.

for me, i was never good at wheelies. not on a dirtbike, not on a street bike. stoppies, now they're a blast. i did so many with my f2 i would messing up my right fork (blew the seal and it pumped the oil WAY out, mostly because i didn't stop doing them for a few weeks). i stopped doing them for a few years and now i can't them flowin' again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first stunt was a wheelie, if you could even call it that. :D It was probably only about a foot off of the ground.

Other than wheelies, I've only ever done a burnout and a few stoppies. Stoppies scare me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
contrary to my user name, my first was a stoppie and that's what I'm best at. my first stoppie was actually caught on camera and i hope he didn't catch my eyes bugging out and me pissing my pants: i went to about 1 o'clock......scared the sheeat out of me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my first trick

:finger: the first trick i pulled was only little wheelies but then i learned to extened it more into stand ups and no handed wheelies i have been on bikes since i was old enough to know the gear shift from the brake i might only be 17 but iam very good on bikes, street, dirt, whatever.

·
Registered
90 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
Your friend at the yamaha dealer is correct for the most part. Whether your front wheel is up or not isn't the contributing factor. Your wheels do create a gyroscoping effect that helps to keep the bike vertical. At higher speeds, the effect is stronger. Thats what makes the bike not want to fall over when your flyin through a turn at 100 mph. As for the front wheel stopping while your in the air, def. not a good thing. I would try to put the wheel back down before it stops spinning, or put it down slow.... but by no means am I a pro ... just know a little math & science.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the front stops in rotation, when it comes down it does not have enough reverse force to throw you over the front end (that statement is actually obsurd) I have busted front hub read speedo cables, smoked the front tyre, even gotten some pretty seriouse tank slappers, but never even felt a backforce enough to even dip my head.

Your body has a major affect on where that bikes gonna track on one wheel, once you get to the point where your thinking about things other than just trying to keep it up, you'll realize what I mean Granted if the front tyre is spinning, it can have an affect on how the bike tracks cuzz it will pull the bike over, but if the tyre has no rotational force, a.k.a. it stoped spinning, it has almost no affect on tracking.

P.S. stoppies are fun but I started with the wheelie, now working on slowing them down, wanna get into the slow stuff:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
zx7r94 said:
Your friend at the yamaha dealer is correct for the most part. Whether your front wheel is up or not isn't the contributing factor. Your wheels do create a gyroscoping effect that helps to keep the bike vertical. At higher speeds, the effect is stronger. Thats what makes the bike not want to fall over when your flyin through a turn at 100 mph. As for the front wheel stopping while your in the air, def. not a good thing. I would try to put the wheel back down before it stops spinning, or put it down slow.... but by no means am I a pro ... just know a little math & science.
I routinely look at my non spinning front wheel when I'm doing wheelies. Any wheelie over half a mile will definitely have the front wheel stopped. All it does it make a puff of smoke like an airplane landing and leave a cool shaped black mark on the road where you set it down. I've NEVER ONCE felt any kind of forward surge setting down a wheelie and I've set them down at anywhere from 10 to well over 100mph. Now you land a little crossed up and you better grab a handful when it sets down cause you're about to have the tankslapper from hell. I think that dude from the Yamaha shop is clueless and I hope he's not your mechanic. :p :D Back on topic I did little bunny hop wheelies first then little stoppies but I got better at stoppies faster than I did wheelies. I think good wheelies are truly an art and it takes some practice to master. From the little stoppies to standing burnouts, from those all the variations start. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
when you say standing up on the bike no hands, do you mean on the pegs or on the seat? i can stand straight up on the pegs but i don;t think thats a stunt really, is it? i wanted to take a picture doing that but i wonder if im gonna look like a idiot, kind of like thos people that think that riding with no hands is a trick "look no hands!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts