Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what was your first bike? How did you like it? Any crazy experiences that you would like to share when you first started out? Lets hear em'.

:)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Osiris1012 said:
So what was your first bike? How did you like it? Any crazy experiences that you would like to share when you first started out? Lets hear em'.

:)
First street bike was an SRX 250. Not much excitement to speak of since I sold it after 2 weeks and bought a 600.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My first bike is my current bike, a '93 Honda CBR 600 F2. I have had it since late September '03 and have ridden about 4300 miles so far. I think it served me well as a first bike although the first few days on it were "interesting." After I got used to the throttle, things got better. :)

For many people, this may not be a good choice for a first bike. However, with the proper respect for the bike's power (it may be an older 600 but it definitely isn't slow), I think it can work well. The way I see it for many things (cars, motorcycles, computers, etc.), success is more dependent on the user than the machine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine too is the same one I'm on now, this'll be my 4th season on it. '88 CBR-600 I got the summer I was 16. As for interesting experiences, I don't even know what to put; everytime I get on it is an incredible experience. Riding has taken me to places mentally and physically that I didn't know existed, and have yet to find another route to.

Probably my favourite experience was last summer, I took a roadtrip to Winnipeg and just into Ontario, ended up being 2100km's in 3 days. Riding around Manitoba north of Winnipeg was just awesome, went over an hour without seeing another piece of traffic. I never would've done a trip like that in a car "just because".

My worst experience would either be my first day riding, when I figured I'd do U-turns and biffed hard, or it would be the time last year at the start of the season when I slammed into the pavement at the end of a girls block after leaving at the end of the first date. I never went back there, haha.

I still consider myself a newbie, so those are newbie stories :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
My first bike was a 1972 HD XLCH that i bought in 75,I had that sucker 2 years and when I bought a new bike I was horrified to find the shifter on the left! The 72 xlch had the shifter on the right like the britsh bikes of the era,so i kinda had to learn to use the shifter and breakk over again( think about trying to bot the brake lever down to downshift out of habit ) unbeliveably i manged to learn it without kissing the pavment.I bought my first Forgien machine a Honda cb750 in 1979,the difference in performance hooked me.I now have owned just about every japanese brand ,most of the euro brands and still want to experiance more.That $1500 HD opened the door for what has become a very entertaining lifestyle for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Last year in may i bought a 2000 yzf600r.. Loved it.. Found a group of guys to ride with and we put almost 5000 miles on it last year.. We were corning and i put it in the ditch tho.. Lucky to keep it upright.. I learned greatly from that mistake.. Then i realized a good deal was about to come up so i bought a 2000 f4i from him.. 2200 miles for 5 grand.. lovin it so far just cant wait to get all my accessories on it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my first bike last week. so far, nothing too interesting has come my way, except the great feeling of riding out in the open. I can't stand driving my truck now, especially with gas prices the way they are.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I learned to ride a motor bike when I was about 10 years old. My next door neighbor's dad would fold up the handle bars and throw it in the trunk of his Pontiac. Then take us in to the country an let us have at it. I've been hooked on 2 wheels ever since.

My first bike was a Suzuki TS90. I was 13 years old when my dad got each of us one. I put about 30,000 miles on it! One time I rode it from Denver to Yellowstone right after I got my license. :) I busted a ring about 20 miles from my destination. Some guy gave me a ride to my uncles, and somehow managed to fix the piston and replaced the rings. I rode it back to Colorado and traded the 90 in on another TS..... only this one had 400 cc's. Put a few miles on that baby too.

The craziest bike was a1975? Kaw 500 2 cycle tripple. rattattatratat!!! Blapblapblap!!! etc. Anyway it went pretty fast but DID NOT corner worth a damn. I really disliked that bike.

1966 Triumph TS650 about 80,000 miles. Hard to tell though didn't have a speedo/odometer

Up to my current fleet:
1990 HD FLHS
1993 BMW R100GS
1995 Ducati.
Working on 2000 Ducati 999S

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome story guys, my friend and I both went out looking at bikes today. Im really starting to like the Yamaha line, they just seem to sit really well for me (im 6'4"). I just dont know how the older models compare...oh well ill find a good used bike that should be good for a beginner. I cant wait till I can post in this thread with the name of a bike and a great experiance had. Till then keep up the great stories, I love to read them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1987 Honda Hurricane 600

Circa 1990

In 1990, a 17 year old simply didn't know what it meant to be a "Squid". In fact, I doubt such a concept existed at that time. Gear just wasn't the IN thing then. Oh, and tight rolled jeans where cool then, damnit!

I loved that bike. Wish I'd never have sold it. I have it's VIN # and have been searching for it for the past 5 years. Don't care how I find it. Doesn't matter if it's wrecked and rusting in a junk yard. I'll either restore it or create some modern art out of it and hang it on my wall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first was a 2000 R6. Probably too much for my first bike, but I got a really good deal on it. I've since sold it and I now have a 2001 F4i, which in my opinion is better than the R6. The honda just seems to shift alot smoother and with the fuel injection the bike constantly pulls through the RPM's unlike the R6.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A 1936 Harley-Davidson 45 flat head, foot clutch, hand shift & such plus having a rear piston that was fouled up, no front brake lever or cable & this was right after WWII in '45.

A yr under age at the time so once I was able to get it rolling I spent that part of the year in the bush & trees 1/2 block from my home & till the middle of next July in '46.

No idea of how to ride a bike, no TV or videos to watch, no Owner's Manual & no one to give me advise SO it was by trial & error with more errors then I want to think of due to foot clutch & hand gear change.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
mine was a 1971 on/off road honda 250. i still am looking for exactly what it was. smitty remembers it though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1980 Honda XL250. Immediately after purchace, on my first solo ride ever on a motorcycle, the first thing I did was a standing start wheelie. The second thing was crash about 50 feet later. Still in the dealer's gravel parking lot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
1974 BMW R60, I learned mostly as smitty put it, by trial and error, my scariest moment on it had to be a hill climb which resulted in a end over end flip, the bike with it's white-as-a-ghost rider still attached landed on it wheels shortly before gravity took over. I did most of my early riding on dirt with a street bike, the results of which can still be seen in my riding styles today.

http://www.edgefield.k12.sc.us/jjw/011904.htm

http://www.edgefield.k12.sc.us/jjw/022804.htm

James.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts