Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, don't rip into me for this one. I just have to ask...

I live in an area with A LOT of big trucks with drivers that just push their way around traffic. Yesterday I was cut off by a semi and I am wondering what the best course of action is for this situation. I really wanted to swerve around him and go on about my way (he was not fully into the road yet). But I was good and sloooooooowed down, waited (ten minutes) for him to get that thing into the road and crawled behind him the rest of the way. While I am trying not to 'get dead' out there I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Okay, don't rip into me for this one. I just have to ask...

I live in an area with A LOT of big trucks with drivers that just push their way around traffic. Yesterday I was cut off by a semi and I am wondering what the best course of action is for this situation. I really wanted to swerve around him and go on about my way (he was not fully into the road yet). But I was good and sloooooooowed down, waited (ten minutes) for him to get that thing into the road and crawled behind him the rest of the way. While I am trying not to 'get dead' out there I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...
Rule of thumb: The vehicle with the biggest (or most) tires has the right-of-way. If it's clear to go around them, you can do that, but what you did was the smartest choice.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rule of thumb: The vehicle with the biggest (or most) tires has the right-of-way. If it's clear to go around them, you can do that, but what you did was the smartest choice.
Damn smart choices always squashing the fun. You wouldn't think New York would have so many big trucks... :rolleyes: I may have to start riding on the sidewalk. :huh:

I actually had some jerkoff in a van try and 'race' me yesterday too. His POS sounded like it was going to blow up. I almost died laughing when I went ripping by him (in 2nd gear)... :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
<snip> I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...
No such thing as too cautious. :2cents:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, one more question (if anyone's alive this week)...

Doing 'The Box' in the BRC has left me with a little more confusion then I had hoped for. They had us on these little rebel 250's cranking the bars almost full lock to make the figure eight. But I can't turn the bars that much on my bike can I? I was under the impression that the turning is sharper on sportbikes... I wanted to try out everything from the class on my bike (due to the huge difference between the two) but I'm not trying to drop it. How far is too far?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Alright, one more question (if anyone's alive this week)...

Doing 'The Box' in the BRC has left me with a little more confusion then I had hoped for. They had us on these little rebel 250's cranking the bars almost full lock to make the figure eight. But I can't turn the bars that much on my bike can I? I was under the impression that the turning is sharper on sportbikes... I wanted to try out everything from the class on my bike (due to the huge difference between the two) but I'm not trying to drop it. How far is too far?
First most semi drivers are biker friendly, not sure of your scenario but most semi drivers look out for bikes and try to give the bike room to do whatever...that is so long as you don't act like a typical idiot cager (cutting them off 3 feet in front of them and/or cutting them off and then braking to a crawl/halt, or stuff like that)

As far as the "box", there's no reason why you can't do it on ANY bike at full lock...the locks were put there to prevent you from going too sharp, so yes you can do the maneuver at full lock. Just like the BRC it takes practice though. If you have doubts I suggest you watch this video. The bike he does it on weighs 850 or so lbs. In real on street riding though you rarely will go full lock since there will usually be room to do it at less than full, that and as your instructors have probably said there are many riders who are afraid to slow-ride :laughing:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the "box", there's no reason why you can't do it on ANY bike at full lock...the locks were put there to prevent you from going too sharp, so yes you can do the maneuver at full lock. Just like the BRC it takes practice though. If you have doubts I suggest you watch this video. The bike he does it on weighs 850 or so lbs. In real on street riding though you rarely will go full lock since there will usually be room to do it at less than full, that and as your instructors have probably said there are many riders who are afraid to slow-ride :laughing:
:hello: I was one of them (afraid to slow ride). Parking lots gave me nightmares... The class totally got me over that though (very quickly too). I'm basically a completely different person on my bike now. But I had always wondered why the bars were made to turn so much, when you aren't supposed to turn them that far anyway. I suppose I was misinformed though... Thanks for the video :thumbs2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
i know someone who hit a semi, probably different 'scene' but . . . totaled bike and has exponentially-worse* short-term memory loss

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
But I had always wondered why the bars were made to turn so much, when you aren't supposed to turn them that far anyway. I suppose I was misinformed though...
I don't really go to the locks in daily riding, except in parking lots. But I can say that maneuvering the bike around the garage is already a pain in the neck, so I can only guess what it would be like with an even wider turning radius (picture Austin Powers wedged in a hallway on a golf cart).

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really go to the locks in daily riding, except in parking lots. But I can say that maneuvering the bike around the garage is already a pain in the neck, so I can only guess what it would be like with an even wider turning radius (picture Austin Powers wedged in a hallway on a golf cart).
:laughing: Nice comparison.

What's the deal with the headlight...? I was riding at night for the first time yesterday and I could NOT see! Are you only supposed to be able to see 10' (literally) in front of your bike or is something wrong with mine? I mean, it was useless. Thank god for street lights...

·
Registered
659 Posts
:laughing: Nice comparison.

What's the deal with the headlight...? I was riding at night for the first time yesterday and I could NOT see! Are you only supposed to be able to see 10' (literally) in front of your bike or is something wrong with mine? I mean, it was useless. Thank god for street lights...
Assuming you've checked the bulbs, you probably need to aim your headlight. There are adjusting screws at the back of the headlight reflector. The owner's manual you don't have would tell you exactly how to do it. Try google for a pdf. Otherwise, you can park it about 12-15 ft. from a wall and check to see where the light hits, adjust it, then test ride it to see if it's better. It may take multiple attempts to get it right.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yeah, I posted the link to the pdf in a different forum yesterday...something about vacuum line routing.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mkeeney, snake- thanks.. I'm going to give it a shot tonight, but could you tell me exactly where the headlight should be shining? I know it's a dumb question but should it be more up and out or more down towards the road? And I didn't even think to check the bulb but if it came on then it's good right?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Most places have a "chart" that they use to align lights. Personally, I've always used the "TLAR" method.

·
Registered
659 Posts
mkeeney, snake- thanks.. I'm going to give it a shot tonight, but could you tell me exactly where the headlight should be shining? I know it's a dumb question but should it be more up and out or more down towards the road? And I didn't even think to check the bulb but if it came on then it's good right?
Yeah, snake's TLAR method is how you should do it. Start by shining it on a wall while you're sitting on the bike and note where it hits. Mark the distance from the wall too. I had to adjust mine down to light up the road better. If you haven't noticed that the road right in front of you is bright, then you'll likely have to adjust down also. Adjust it a little bit then go for a test ride. Adjust more until you have the right results. Be sure to check both high and low beams.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts