Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started riding just enough where I was barely comfortable with highway riding and riding at night, I decided to go out for a joy ride one late afternoon. I kept riding on this one highway just for that curiosity to see what was out in an area I've never been to. One of the reasons that makes joy riding joyful.

Thinking that the highway I was on would be straight as it was when I started, I continued on about 40 miles and found that all of a sudden, I'm in the mountains riding all these twisty roads. I never experienced riding on this many turns at one time. I was overwelmed, but kept patient and just went with my rider training to carefuly ride all the curves. The sun was starting to go down and the rock formations around me were a beautiful reddish-orange from the sunset. I don't know if the beauty of it made me more relaxed, but it sure wasn't something I saw everyday.

I probably went through another 25-30 miles of twisty roads when I got to a small town.
I refueled and though I better go back home. It is now dark outside. Now I have to go back through all those same twisting roads in the darkness. I followed a semi-truck and other vehicles back and used them and their headlights on the road ahead as a guide.

Needless to say, I made it back home okay. But after all that, I was now more comfortable and more skilled with riding on multiple turns and riding at night than I ever was.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Glad to hear you made it alright, and way to keep your cool. Not the way many would advise to learn, but any day you come home without a scratch on you or the bike is a food one!

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Night riding has become my least favorite period mainly because of the animal danger. There is also the issue that out in the country you can't really tell where to fix your eyes ahead of the curve to get the best line because you usually can't tell where the road's going, just as you experienced.

But any riding at all is better than none :cool:

One tip I picked up here, I think from slaintedan, was that if there are trees along the road the tree line tells you how the roads curves work out. Its been handy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts