Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time think again when the idea of saving $300 trumps a properly fitting helmet...

Just doing some research for my project and came across some statistics from the NHTSA

One Trauma Center's reports "Average Hospital Charges per Case by Head Injury Status"
Motorcycle accident with head injury- $43,214
Motorcycle accident w/o head injury- $15,528

For those not interested in helmets at all...
"Average Hospital Charges per Case by Helmet Status"
Helmet- $16,154
Non-Helmet- $29,905
These figures do not include out patient dr.s appointments after you leave the hospital.

So, if you're really pinching pennies, go ahead and purchase the ill fitting lid, because in the long run, the cheapest motorcycle hospital bill is that of the DOA (dead on arrival).

·
Registered
960 Posts
Price does not equate to fit. You dont have to spend $500 to get a very good helmt... but, PLEASE do get one... and replace those ancient ones that are out there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
four_by_ken said:
Price does not equate to fit. You dont have to spend $500 to get a very good helmt... but, PLEASE do get one... and replace those ancient ones that are out there.
True, either way, I don't think the DOT helmet from Meijer will do anything for you other than meet the states requirements.

·
Registered
960 Posts
iroc8210 said:
True, either way, I don't think the DOT helmet from Meijer will do anything for you other than meet the states requirements.
Very true... I should have went a little further... the CHEAP helmets are not something I would count on. Like you said super cheap meijer ones. Maybe if all I rode was a 35mph scooter... but thats it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
four_by_ken said:
You do know you are supposed to replace a helmet when you go down... right?
If he did, would he have 3 dumps on one?

:laughing:

Well, I guess he could just be one of those cheap asses.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
636Jen said:
I've heard that you should get a new helmet even if you drop it....how true is that?
Jen
Thats whatI have heard too. Myself... I wouldnt. Unless it was a real hard drop... more like throwing it down.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
636Jen said:
I've heard that you should get a new helmet even if you drop it....how true is that?

Jen
The styrofoam looking stuff is made to absorb energy by collapsing. Once collapsed, it doesnt do much. The thing is, there is no way to tell by looking if the foam collapsed, short of x raying.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Vash said:
The styrofoam looking stuff is made to absorb energy by collapsing. Once collapsed, it doesnt do much. The thing is, there is no way to tell by looking if the foam collapsed, short of x raying.
Yup... thats why crashing in the same helmet 3 times isnt such a good idea. :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
At the same time, the foam collapses only around the area of the impact, and with the likelyhood of another impact in the same spot, a "used" helmet is a whole lot better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware of what your supposed to do with a helmet....I just figured Lucky needed to
bitch about something or he wouldn't meet his quota of daily posts.

besides, everytime I had a sports car, someone inevitable scratched,
dinged, or went out of there way to spoil the paint. When I drove my
beater to a Meijer that was loaded with mini-vans and carts, it
never got one scratch.

I'll stick to the beater helmet, full of character.

-David

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
That foam is pretty hard stuff.
I doubt low speed impacts would render the foam usless.
How much is it gonna crush and stay crushed?
If it was crushed over .100" you'd prob feel a mismatch when you wear it.
I'd be more concerned with the integrity of the shell of the helmet as far as fractures.
An uncooked egg is almost impossible to crush with one hand.
Try it.
A fractured egg......mess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts