Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I slowslided my 636 mid-summer. I didn't call insurance. I figured I would just get the plastic buffed and everything painted matte black which I wanted to do originally. Now, I may want to call insurance.


Here's the damage;broken mirror, snapped shifter and peg(already replaced) rashed nose cowel, front mud guard, left mid and lower fairing, stator cover, tail cowl. Right blinkers are fine left blinkers are a little sketchy(electrically). Horn doesn't work. Tiny ding in the frame. Mechanically the bike is sound.

I don't want the thing to get totalled I just want to get a check for 2500 to 3000. What do you think? How much money in damage and what do you think the insurance company would do? Thanks for any help.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
From looking at Kelly Blue Book and the Nada Guides (for an 04, 05's were not on there yet), the value of the bike is between about $4500-$6600. All the crystal balls on the planet can't predict what your insurance company will say it's worth. Anyway, the insurance company will have rules for when they total a bike. For example, if the cost to repair is 75% of the value of the vehicle, they'll just total it. I'm not sure if 75% is right or not, but you get the idea. Also since you lowsided it (you're at fault) they will probably raise your rates (it's not like someone hit you). Finally, I don't even know if you can get insurance involved at this point, there may be limits on how long you have to file a claim, but that is pure speculation. Defrauding the insurance company by fudging the date of the accident would probably not be a good idea either.

I'd say your best bet is to get it back into working order on your own. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Call you insurance and ask them a hypothetical question. Dont even give them you name, just tell them you are one of their customers. I see no reason why they wouldnt write you a check for less than the damage involved. As for being totalled, I wouldnt worry about it.
I've had a 8k bike suffer $7.5k of damage (1006 miles after I bought it). Of course they wanted to total it, but I said that I'd rather fix it. They looked at me funny, but wrote a check.

The key is, be there when the adjuster comes to take his notes. Ask him not to write anything about the dink in the frame, since that will total the bike. If you really want to do your homework, go to ronayers, or bike bandit and find the part number and price of each piece thats hurt, total them up, and print it out. I wouldnt go off showing those figures to the adjuster just yet. Instead, call your local dealer and ask him for a quote on all the parts, it will likely be higher than ronayers. Show that quote to the adjuster, couse I'm sure you want as much money out of the deal as you can get.

One thing you really want to look into, is the source of all those electrical glitches. Sounds like you might have an exposed cable rubbing together. Make sure its not something serious, becouse electrical problems are a pain to fix, and can get really expansive if you gotta replace one of those black boxes with wires sticking out of them.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
From looking at Kelly Blue Book and the Nada Guides (for an 04, 05's were not on there yet), the value of the bike is between about $4500-$6600. All the crystal balls on the planet can't predict what your insurance company will say it's worth. Anyway, the insurance company will have rules for when they total a bike. For example, if the cost to repair is 75% of the value of the vehicle, they'll just total it. I'm not sure if 75% is right or not, but you get the idea. Also since you lowsided it (you're at fault) they will probably raise your rates (it's not like someone hit you). Finally, I don't even know if you can get insurance involved at this point, there may be limits on how long you have to file a claim, but that is pure speculation. Defrauding the insurance company by fudging the date of the accident would probably not be a good idea either.

I'd say your best bet is to get it back into working order on your own. :2cents:
It really depends on his insurance company. I've known people who files claims over a year after the accident. Since the bike is fairly new, the insurance is unlikely to want to total it. But it just depends.. if the adjuster is an asshole you might be walking away with no bike and a $500 check for your trouble. Whatever you do, remember that those are negotiations, so be agressive, but not rude. Dont let them walk all over you, but remember that you might need them later on down the line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,885 Posts
Ice said:
Well, I slowslided my 636 mid-summer. I didn't call insurance. I figured I would just get the plastic buffed and everything painted matte black which I wanted to do originally. Now, I may want to call insurance.


Here's the damage;broken mirror, snapped shifter and peg(already replaced) rashed nose cowel, front mud guard, left mid and lower fairing, stator cover, tail cowl. Right blinkers are fine left blinkers are a little sketchy(electrically). Horn doesn't work. Tiny ding in the frame. Mechanically the bike is sound.

I don't want the thing to get totalled I just want to get a check for 2500 to 3000. What do you think? How much money in damage and what do you think the insurance company would do? Thanks for any help.


Everyone always asks vash... I often wonder if the only reason this happens is because vash is a post-whore.



The damage you are describing is exactly what my bike looked like. If you call the INS company, they will total it. I fixed mine for $1,800... which included a Devil high-exit exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
I'm just too nice of a guy..
36040-0016-724 COVER-TAIL P.M.RED
$241.64
14031-0032 COVER-GENERATOR
$95.16
55028-0027-724 COWLING UPP P.M.RED
$367.91
55028-0028-724 COWLING CNT LH P.M.RE
$151.96
56001-0039 MIRROR-ASSY LH
$67.76
55028-0030-8J COWLING LWR LH F.S.BL
$164.28
35004-0034-724 FENDER-FRONT P.M.RED
$84.58

Subtotal $1,173.29
Standard Shipping $48.00
Total $1,221.29
This is from ron ayers, I had no idea what color your bike was, so I picked red, since its my favorite. Its just the last 3 digits of the part number. I didnt include the horn couse I doubt its broken, or the shifter since you already fixed it. So you are looking at around $1500 in parts to get your bike looking new. Worse case scenario there might be $2k worth of damage including labor. I doubt they will total your bike over that.

As for your insurance rates rising... well thats a chance you'll have to take... you could try to convince them you low sided to avoid a deer or something like that, in which case its covered under comprehensive and not collision (thus your rates wont go up) but I dont know if they'll buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Re: Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

ZX6R1033 said:
Everyone always asks vash... I often wonder if the only reason this happens is because vash is a post-whore.
Whats with all the hostility bro?
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Another thing to look at is your deductable. They may tell you you'll get $2000 or whatever, but if you have a $500 deductable (or whatever) they'll take that out of the check, leaving you with less than you thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
One thing to look into is how much you owe on the bike. If they total the bike because of the dent in the frame you can buy it back from them for a very good price. You won't get any money out of the deal because they pay off the bike but you get it cheap. Since you know it's repairable that might be the way to go. You buy it back for $1500 and repair it for $1200 or you pay your remaining balance of $6000. I know what I would do. I had a GSXR600 and bought it back for $1300, now it's a paid off streetfighter. I no longer owe $5200.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Eskimoe663 said:
One thing to look into is how much you owe on the bike. If they total the bike because of the dent in the frame you can buy it back from them for a very good price. You won't get any money out of the deal because they pay off the bike but you get it cheap. Since you know it's repairable that might be the way to go. You buy it back for $1500 and repair it for $1200 or you pay your remaining balance of $6000. I know what I would do. I had a GSXR600 and bought it back for $1300, now it's a paid off streetfighter. I no longer owe $5200.
Were there major hassles in registering a bike with a salvage or re-built title?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
Were there major hassles in registering a bike with a salvage or re-built title?
If you are in england....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great advice all around. Thanks. I don't think getting back 1500 after the deductable would be enough and then the point tacking.

P.S. Did I say I slowslided in mid-summer. I meant today, mid-afternoon. Must of been some sort of typo.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Ice said:

P.S. Did I say I slowslided in mid-summer. I meant today, mid-afternoon. Must of been some sort of typo.
:laughing: Good answer! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re: Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

ZX6R1033 said:
Everyone always asks vash... I often wonder if the only reason this happens is because vash is a post-whore.



Well, Vash seems to be a very insightful, cooperative, and hospitable poster. Also, his posts offer informtion that are constructive and valuable unlike some others here. Thanks Vash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,885 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

Ice said:
Well, Vash seems to be a very insightful, cooperative, and hospitable poster. Also, his posts offer informtion that are constructive and valuable unlike some others here. Thanks Vash.
haha oh, I get it... my posts arent helpful. Cool. :thumb:



And to think I was just about to send you an XLS Spreadsheet with all of the parts and prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
No prob buddy. Thank sportbikes for running this great forum...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

ZX6R1033 said:
haha oh, I get it... my posts arent helpful. Cool. :thumb:



And to think I was just about to send you an XLS Spreadsheet with all of the parts and prices.
I was just playing. I thought Vash got a little worked up so I was was just trying to cool him off. I actually thought you were being sarcastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Not worked up at all, just confused. I didnt catch the sarcasm :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top