Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You sound like your a pretty capable stunter. Could you clutch up a stock 05 636 to bp in second at like 5000 rpm?

I'm ripping that front wheel up higher and higher every new day(feels high anyways). Just can't ride em out to far. I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ice said:
You sound like your a pretty capable stunter. Could you clutch up a stock 05 636 to bp in second at like 5000 rpm?

I'm ripping that front wheel up higher and higher every new day(feels high anyways). Just can't ride em out to far. I'll keep working on it.

Its very doable. Same technique as soing it in 1st, just add a few more RPM. Clutch it up, catch it with the rear brake. and ride it for days. It takes some time to get used to it. But you'll get it. Keep workin at it. Gear up and be safe. Most of all, have fun! Let me know if you need any specific help.

·
Registered
414 Posts
roadstain, can you give me any tips of catching the bike with the rear brake. I allways either slam the front end down or end up almost looping it. I think I just need to practice more. I used to only use the rear brake in emergency situations, but I think I want to get into the slower stuff. Most of my wheelies are near balance point at the top of second gear. I am a fan of standing on the front pegs. I am thinking of going +2 on the rear sprocket. I am allready -1 on the front, but I do alot of long trips so I think +2 on the rear would be a little much. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RoadStain. I just try to bring up the front up sometimes in second. It's not even close and I'm revving the piss out of it and grabbing a whole lot of throttle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
wheelie_steve said:
roadstain, can you give me any tips of catching the bike with the rear brake. I allways either slam the front end down or end up almost looping it. I think I just need to practice more. I used to only use the rear brake in emergency situations, but I think I want to get into the slower stuff. Most of my wheelies are near balance point at the top of second gear. I am a fan of standing on the front pegs. I am thinking of going +2 on the rear sprocket. I am allready -1 on the front, but I do alot of long trips so I think +2 on the rear would be a little much. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Balance point is described as a weightless feeling for a number of reasons. The bike is actually weightless (so to speak) when its at blance point. I found the easiest way to get used to brake control (minus a 50) is to clutch it up from a dead stop instead of trying to use the brake in a higher speed wheelie. Its all the same mechanics. So why not lose it at 7 mph instead of 70? You already have wheelies down, so this shouldn't be much trouble for you. What I've found that works best for me (and its different for some people but the same basic mechnics) is to ride the brake while standing up, get the bike as close to a dead stop as possible. ride the brake a bit (not full pressure but on it) and clutch it up. The bike does kind of lurch up but you get used to it. Once you hit balance point it's just a "tap----tap tap--tap ---- tap) on the brake. Keeping it in that "floating" area. I have an old video on here that I can post up for you if ya like. Just need someone to host it. Its the notorious gixxer. Or I'll email it to you. I might be able to borrow a 636 and I'll go out and just do slow standups and get them on film for you to watch and kind of look at for a reference.

As far as the gearing goes, +2 won't be bad. Even for long trips. My buddy had -1 +5 on his F4i and it was perfect. Cruised at about 4k rpm higher than normal. But worth it if you like stunting. I'll see what I can do about those clips for ya. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ice said:
Thanks RoadStain. I just try to bring up the front up sometimes in second. It's not even close and I'm revving the piss out of it and grabbing a whole lot of throttle.
Most likely your clutch work is off a little. Try using two fingers and "slipping" the clutch. If it lurches forward, give it more rpm's and let the clutch out faster. Be sure to cover that brake and use it when you need it! I learned 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear clutch ups in a day. But none were at balance point. So it's all possible. Just takes practice (and a little balls) Good luck and be safe!

~:squid:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can very easily hit the balancing point just by using the clutch to bring the front up and then using trottle control. I know I am at at the balancing point because just like you said the bike feels weightless, and I am staying at a steady speed for an extended time. E-mail me those clips if you can. It's different getting advice from people who know what their talking about. Thats why I figured I would ask you to give me some tips. I have seen some people on the road give horrible advice about stunting. Like I said, I really only use the rear brake for emergencies. Hopefully I can change this. I am now also considering +1 or +2 on the rear sprocket along with my -1 on the front just to make the slow stuff a little easier. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds good. Hit me up with your email addy in a pm or post it and I'll get those to you. I didn't get a whole lot of close ups but enough so that you can see whats goin on. Basically, the trick to brake control, is replacing throttle control with it. Instead of modulating your throttle to get the bike to go up and down, you tap the brake. Not hard enough to get it to come back down, just enough to keep you in that sweet spot. Its a constant "tap-- tap tap-- tap" motion. Your throttle hand stays pretty much the same. The problem with using the throttle to raise and lower the front wheel is that you often get "throttle junkie" syndrome and your wheelies tend to be "bouncy". If I wasn't sick as hell right now (and if it wasn't raining) I would see if I could borrow his bike again and give it a try. I just went back and forth doin slow wheelies. Clutchin them up and ridin them smooth. nothin amazing, just slow and easy. You sound like you're more than capable and pretty much its just seat time thats required. Keep practicing. Try to rely more on the brake to keep yu steady than lettin off the throttle. Once yu master brake control, nothing is impossible!Good luck!

~ the super :squid:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Ice said:

I know I know... I am late.

As the proud owner of a 636... here is my .02:

:confused: Why would you need the clutch to bring a 636 up in 2nd gear?

The nose of my bike gets very light even through 3rd gear and sometimes in 4th under sheer acceleration alone.

The addition of using the clutch, IMO, is just plain overkill.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Much better control with a clutch. Throttle is ok for just getting the front wheel off the ground, but if you want to bring it up high, clutch is the only way to go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not that I can do this stuff(getting better), but you can bring up the front from a standstill or any rpm you'd like and that is just pimp.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ice said:
Not that I can do this stuff(getting better), but you can bring up the front from a standstill or any rpm you'd like and that is just pimp.
Its very very doable. I have some video clips left on this computer. (my old one crashed and the only ones I have are ones people saved on thier computer and sent to me) If someone wants to host it I'll put it up. Its from last season. Just me and a buddy dickin around. I'm emailing it to wheelie steve in a couple minutes. I gotta put the other one on the computer and stuff and then I'll send that one to him too. If you'd like I'll send it to you. Just let me know what your email addy is. Its honestly not that impressive. But if you've never seen if. It'll be entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Thats exactly the point. Sure the bike will come up under power alone, but its more controlled with the clutch.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Video was sent to everyone that asked for it I believe. Let me know if you guys got it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Roadstain. I received the vids and watched them. Thanks. I am going to practice this weekend. I have to get over the fact that I am going to drop my bike. After I rebuilt it and painted it to look nice I no longer like to drop it like I used to. LOL! I am just too bored of taking it easy on the bike. I was looking into a crash cage, but I do a lot of riding in the twisties so I guess thats probably out of the question. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
489 Posts
haha you saw how many times we dumped our bikes in that vid. It's like that every time we practice. But it's all worth it. Its a lot of fun. but you definately need the crash cage if you plan on stunting like I do. Freestyle ingenuity cages come with a hoop system that can be taken on for you "twistie" days. You just leave the sliders on. then when you decided it's time to hit up the lot, put the cage back on. It's good shit. Chromoly steel. Check into it. Also I think MXD has track cages for 2001 gsxrs. You might be interested in one of those. Enjoy yourself man. I'm nowhere near a pro. I've gotten a bit better since that video for sure though. I'll see if I can't dig up some better stuff for you. Glad you liked it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
was thinking about buying a 1989 gixxer 750 as a beater to learn better wheelies........will an 89 750 be capable enuff for wheelies etc?

PS: not a thread hijack, its just a good thread :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts