Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just kidding. :D But, do you think that a ZX6R is too much bike for a beginner? I have been putting around town on my friends 250 for a little while, so I'm not completely new to ridding, but what do you guys think?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I think it's fine. I'd recommend against a brand new one, simply for learning hazards like dropping the bike. New plastics getting crunched hurts the ego moreso than older ones that may already have a ding or two.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok

So you've got the basics down, good. Do you actually know anything about motorcycle? If not... I suggest getting the shiniest new bike on the floor. Take a picture. Buy frame sliders and install them. If you drop it the sliders will suffer the damge not your bike. If you total it, at least you got a picture of your new bike.

It your call, don't mess up, it well worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: ok

spicersh said:
I think it's fine. I'd recommend against a brand new one, simply for learning hazards like dropping the bike. New plastics getting crunched hurts the ego moreso than older ones that may already have a ding or two.
I hadn't planned on buying a new one. I don't mind scuffed up plastic. I'm not trying to impress anyone or win any shows with this bike. Thanks

Juke'n round said:
So you've got the basics down, good. Do you actually know anything about motorcycle? If not... I suggest getting the shiniest new bike on the floor. Take a picture. Buy frame sliders and install them. If you drop it the sliders will suffer the damge not your bike. If you total it, at least you got a picture of your new bike.
I know a little bit about motorcycles. I know a good bit about cars, which somewhat transfers over to motorcycles. My friend mentioned something about frame sliders. I will probably invest in them, even though I plan on getting a bike that has already been laid over. I'll remember to take a picture of it before I ride it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
new

I just meant that if you didn't know how to fix up a bike, get a new one. If you were looking to buy a bike a yr or so old, why not get a new bike? It'll have a warrenty, you'll know it was broken it properly (if you choose to do so). Buying a bike a couple yrs old might only save ya $500-1000.:2cents:Is it worth it?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Re: Re: ok

Jonas427 said:
...I plan on getting a bike that has already been laid over...
Not a good idea, IMO. Unless you plan on tearing it down, how will you know what damage it has? Could be a costly exercise.

Buying used doesn't have to mean buying sh*t. We bought a five-year-old bike that only had 11,000km's (less than 7,000mi) on it and was absolutely immaculate.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: new

Juke'n round said:
... Buying a bike a couple yrs old might only save ya $500-1000.:2cents:Is it worth it?
This could be moot come the time in every riders' life when they lowside in a driveway, accidentally kick it off the kickstand, turn into some gravel in the no-man's land part of the road at an intersection, etc. etc. etc.

The plastics alone would be financially catastrophic to replace on a new bike.

Let alone a lever, a clutch cover, couple turn signals, on and on and on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts