Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my mercury gauge the other day along with the 6mm adapters required for Yamaha bikes. My question is.. I see the 4 black hoses on my bike (one for each carb)which are used to read the vacuum. Where do I connect the brass adapters? Why cant I just connect the black hoses directly to the clear hoses supplied with the gauge? Or do I have to remove the carbs, screw the adapters into the carbs then replace the stock hose with the clear hose?

------------------

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi, I emailed your question to a freind of mine, he's a Yammie fan from way back, this was his reply.

He obviously has a later model Yamaha - the earlier FZR and I think YZF750 and earlier models required you to fit the adapter to the front of the carbs, now they all have Rubber tube to allow easy access. the best thing to do is to cut just the thread off the adapter tubes and push into syncroniser tubes, then, when using on the bike, push them into the tubes on the bike. You can leave the threads there but just push them further into the rubber tubes to get them to seal properly. They should be colour coded with a stripe of red or blue but it is easy enough to follow them back to the carbs to see which one belongs to which carb. Just remember to put the plugs back in when your done, and if you see bubbles in the columns then you are low on mercury, also if the engine sounds rough, but columns line up check for leaks in the tubes to the synronizer.

Lachlan.

Hope this helps :)
Ross

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I was waiting for someone to reply because I'm curious how to tune and sync the carbs myself, but I cant follow what your talking about. Are carbs that much different from bike to bike?

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi JK6672,
As far as I am aware, carbies are pretty similar. For example the guy that gave me the explanation for the above post had no trouble doing my Honda.

If you want a full run down for your R1, I'll ask him tonight and post it tommorow, as I'm just about finished work for the day.

Cheers
Ross :)

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross:
Hi JK6672,
As far as I am aware, carbies are pretty similar. For example the guy that gave me the explanation for the above post had no trouble doing my Honda.

If you want a full run down for your R1, I'll ask him tonight and post it tommorow, as I'm just about finished work for the day.

Cheers

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You really need the 'Genesis' adapters for
the R1. I've done it without them but you
have to get crafty and make your own adaptors.
The R1 has allen head screws that go directly
into the intake manifold. You have to take
them out and thread the adpaters into the
wholes left behind. I took screws with the
same thread pitch as the allens and cut the
head off of them and then using my lathe
I drilled a hole through the center. I would
probably be easier to just buy the adapters
and the gages if you don't already have the
things you need.

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1:
Originally posted by Ross:
Hi JK6672,

Cheers

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You really need the 'Genesis' adapters for
the R1. I've done it without them but you
have to get crafty and make your own adaptors.
The R1 has allen head screws that go directly
into the intake manifold. You have to take
them out and thread the adpaters into the
wholes left behind. I took screws with the
same thread pitch as the allens and cut the
head off of them and then using my lathe
I drilled a hole through the center. I would
probably be easier to just buy the adapters
and the gages if you don't already have the
things you need.

Chris
Sure, thanks Ross.

Chris, I see what your talking about. So you have to connect gauges to the manifold itself, I would of never guessed, I just thought you hooked some type of vacuum gauge up to the carb. The fist hole has a tube that goes out and down. Is that a dump line or something?

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why doesnt the R1 have the vacuum lines already there to make the hookup to the synchronizer like the 600r does?

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly that line is for.
It may go to the EXUP valve for all I know.
Just disconnect and plug it when you do the
sync.

I have no idea why they didn't just use lines
instead of pre drilled holes in the manifold.
Personally I like the R1 setup - it's easy.

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts