·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
copied from another site.

To win the daytona 200

Hayes Disqualified From Daytona 200 For Illegal Crankshaft Modifications
Mar 08, 2008

Copyright 2008, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

From a press release issued by AMA Pro Racing at 10:50 p.m. Eastern Time:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Josh Hayes was disqualified from today’s Daytona 200 following a customary and mandatory technical inspection of the top three finishers’ motorcycles in the Daytona 200, round one of the AMA Formula Extreme Series.

Upon this inspection, a technical infraction was found. The #1 Erion Racing Honda CBR600RR’s crankshaft was polished, surface treated and metal was removed from it. This is in violation of the 2008 AMA rulebook section 5.4, the text of which can be seen below.

Page 47: Rulebook Section 5.4
5.4 Multi-cylinder liquid cooled engines The following engine components may not be altered from the originally homologated model except as noted:

b. Homologated crankshaft
1. Bearing surfaces may be polished or surface treated.

In addition, two other motorcycles were randomly picked to undergo technical inspections.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Doesn't make much sense to me why teams in upper echelons of racing try to bend the rules. They know that if the modifications provide the advantage they are hoping for (aka, a win) they are going to be subjected to complete technical inspections. So what's the point?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Cool, that puts the Kawasaki's of Chaz Davies and Steve Rapp in 1st and 2nd. Go Green! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yea that is good news. I am a yamaha owner but I felt bad for Steve Rapp for the pit mishap. I am also a Duhamel fan but come on already. A rider that has been around as long as Duhamel should know the rules by now and if he dont, I would expect his team to know the rules.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The Honda riders probably have no clue about the engine internals in their bikes so the riders knowing the rules is not an issue. That being said, the team knows the rules. The pro riders know the on track and pit road rules. The rest they are probably fuzzy on.

Basically what's happening is that the new bosses at AMA Pro Racing are inforcing rules that were overlooked in past seasons. Honda claims that the cranks in the 200 had the same treatment as last year's cranks. They were illegal last year but apparently the AMA officials just turned a blind eye to it. That's old school AMA Pro Racing. It appears the new Sheriff in town is going to follow the rules.

The riders are the ones penalized because that's the way the rule reads but they team in reality is responsible for this. The riders are paid to ride, not take care of engines and bike legality.

Don't think that the upper echelon teams don't bend the rules. Most push the limit. Hell if ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't tryin hard enough. :D

Valentine Rossi doesn't suck. His bike does. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts