Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, has anyone had any experience with bar risers? Sometimes when I ride my wrists get quite uncomfortable. I've heard that using bar risers to raise the clipons up a bit does wonders. Any feedback out there? Thanks.

------------------
BOHICA

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Never had any experience with raisers but, I get twist cramps sometimes too, but only after riding for hours. I'm surprised you get them on your CBR for as high as they are already, there like gorilla bars compared to mine :D j/k Do you get cramps in both wrists or just one. I only get cramps in my left wrist, my solution is to simple place my hand on my femur for a bit. works for me.

------------------
John

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the F3 doesn't have a very aggressive riding position, but I've had wrist discomfort on all the different bikes I've owned. 700 Interceptor, 250 and 500 Ninja's and the F3. I think part of the problem may be due to the fact that I'm short and I'm leaning over no matter what, who knows. Maybe I just have weak wrists, they even bother me when mountain biking. It is both of them...

------------------
BOHICA

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I first got a Sportbike my wrists bothered me too. I found that if I take the weight off my hands by holding myself up with my back it doesn't happen. Also I try to keep my elbows bent (no stiff armed riding) and not to grip the handlebars too tight. At first my back and stomach muscles would bother me, but after a while no problem. It's even second nature to ride this way now.

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get pain in my left hand/wrist after riding for a few hours without a long break. It is due to the continuous shifting with the clutch. Before I would spend money on your bars I would reccommend doing exercises everyday with your left hand. Try sqeezing a rubber ball a few hundred times a day while sitting at your desk or watching TV. If you strengthen the muscles in that hand I am sure that your wrist and hand will not become as sore as fast.

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
To help prevent my wrist from getting sore from using the clutch I changed the clutch lever angle by rotating the lever assembly around the handle bar (counter-clockwise). I adjusted it so as when in the normal riding position my wrist is straight with my arm and hand when I grab the lever. Before the adjustment I would have to move my wrist back so I could reach my fingers over the clutch lever which put my wrist in a bind grabbing it.

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've recently experienced soreness on my clutch wrist as well. i initially thought it was caused by the stiff lever for my clutch but then i cleaned it out and lubed it and now the lever action is comparable to new but i still get sore after a couple hours riding. my only solution is to go home when it starts to hurt because i know i can't last too much longer once it starts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I know for your MTB, you could get smaller diameter grips (presumably to match smaller hands). This may help moto as well, but I am not sure what is available.

I have had wrist problems related to bicycling in the past as well. Therapist helped me work on strengthening exercises AND I began to to more upper body exercise in general (pushups, curls and rowing) to help with long term comfort on moto (and bike).

My 98 F3 would have adjustable bars, except that clip-ons have "alignment tab" that keeps them from moving. I intend to either thin tabs down or remove them to get a bit more rotation from bars. If you feel that rotated position would improve your wrists, you may want to consider this.

If your wrists are hurtin', you may want to give them a rest before embarking on any strengthening program.

Good luck

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh, yeah--

While you are resting those wrists, hit the situps and lower back exercises. They will help hold your torso up better, putting less weight/strain on your wrists.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This gives me a few things to try and to think about. I used to exercise very regularly but I've been in a bad slump lately and haven't kept it up. One more reason to get back to it. Thanks again, take care...
Mark

------------------
BOHICA

·
Registered
873 Posts
Definately what Yamahakid and jrm said.
Take the weight off those wrists!!

hold yourself up with your legs, abdomen and back muscles, dont "lean" on the bars.

You will notice alot less stress on your hands and wrists and also avoid or greatly reduce the chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome as you get older.

But of course you will also find that there is more strain on your abs and back if you are on a long trip.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Having used my rowing machine for a mere week, I noticed much greater comfort on the ride I just completed. If seven days of exercise help this much, I have found my solution for sure.

A) Shoulders felt better as they were more limber and exercised.

B) Lower back felt stronger and torso seemed better able to support upper body, meaning arms had to provide less support.

All good!

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you want the ultimate excercise for riding, try cutting your 1 acre lawn with an old time reel mower, you know, the kind without a motor....You'll be throwing that bike around like a toy in about a month!!!Worked for me!!!!Jimmy G.

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ok, now a month later on rowing machine and can say it helps quite a bit. Still get sore, but it goes away quickly once I get off the bike for a few minutes.

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used to feel very sore on my wrists and it still happens sometimes. Mostly when I ride two up and either my wife or daughter lean into me, causing me to put more weight on my wrists than I want.

The superbike bend of the handlebar on my ZR750F2 (ZR-7) allows me to "sit up" straight and therefore keep my arms at an angle. This is also recommended in Keith Code's book, if I recall correctly. When I ride that way there is a lot less pressure on my wrists and I am able to go longer with less discomfort.

Now if I could only do something with that left knee... :)

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
I just put Helibars on mine. After using clip-ons for the last 14 years, I'm not sure I like the change. 2 inches higher, 1.5 in wider (on each side) and back about 2 inches.
It's the wider I don't like. Too much wind and I'm having to pull against the wind at higher speeds.
Just try to use your legs to remove some weight from your wrists and keep the wrists fairly straight.

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts