Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, for those of you that dont know i wont be getting a sportbike till spring. For now though i have this scooter and last night i was out riding around and pushin my limits. I should have known better but i was doin about 40(toppin it out) around a corner and hit some gravel. I ended up lowsiding it in sandals, shorts and a tee. So now i have some bad road rash all over. I didnt go to the doctor cause i dont have insurance. So my question i guess is does anyone know what to do for it? its lookin pretty nasty, there some green goo crap in there too. Sorry if that was too detailed.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Doc

Beg, borrow, or steal in order pay for it, but get yourself to the doc before that stuff gets any worse and you end up having a lot more to worry about than the bill.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The road rash isnt a big deal. Clean the crap out of it (I dont care how much it hurts, get it clean. Lots of warm water) apply lots of neosporin, cover with loose bandages, so it can breathe. Clean it twice a day(more if you can), its ok to tear some of the scabs off, your main concern is infection. reaply anti biotic ointment, and it should heal just fine. However a doc will likely have some ways to keep it from scaring, which its almost guaranteed to do otherwise. I would be more concerned about other injuries, if they are present, especially the tendons (sp?) those damn things dont ever want to heal.

Now that its over, what the hell were you thinking? Sandals shorts and a T? What kind of squidly bullshit is that? I know that its just a scooter and all, but a 30mph impact to the head is enough to kill you. As in dead. As in never getting a sportbike. Get yourself a helmet, it doesnt matter what kind of budget you are on, you need a helmet. Wear some good boots, cause you dont want to break those toes (ouch!), and at least a heavy denim pants and jacket.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Gear

Good point on the gear Vash. You know, VERY rarely have I seen a scooter rider with gear. The other day, I saw one with a Joe Rocket armored jacket, full face sportbike style helmet, boots, etc. Initially, I thought it looked a bit weird. But when you really think about it, many of these scooters are traveling in the city at the same speed a motorcycle does and they are subject to all the traffic hazards and idiot cage drivers that we are.

Now there's a growing niche market waiting to be explored- riding/safety gear focused on the scooter rider.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i know, stupid decision on my part. Ive got a helmet but i was just dickin around in the neighborhood and figured i didnt need it. O and i figured out why people wear gear now, cause road rash friggin hurts! Im trying to clean it out like you said, i put some hydrogen peroxide on it, wow! that hurt worse than the wreck i think. Im tryin to get most the gravel and crap out of there but its hard to tell whats asphalt and whats scab. Yea a scooter rider in full gear would look pretty funny, but ill at least start wearing pants and a jacket. The main thing ill start doin, is not bein such a dumbass. I was doin 40 around a sharp corner in the neighborhood at midnight. ??? what was i thinking? well anyways its too late now, and yes i still want a 600. No more of that squidly bullshit however. O and how long will this continue to throb and burn!?!?

P.S Vash it sounds like youve wrecked before :twofinger

·
Registered
633 Posts
That crap never goes away...I have a two inch round scar on my knee that looks like a healed up third degree burn, and it happened about a year ago.

Everything Vash said is the best to do...as long as there is no underlying damage, i.e. the tendons that he mentioned, or if the skin is completely gone in spots. I have seen road rash need skin grafts. Odds are it didn't get that bad. Keep it clean and get some damn gear!!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi golfskiplay-

Sorry to hear about the wreck. :(

A doctor in a trauma center is going to be extremely familiar with this kind of injury. It is crucial that all contaminants (gravel, dirt, glass shards, fibers) be removed from the wound. The doctor will use a very bright light, sharp surgical instruments, and might even abrade the dead cells away to speed healing. Vash is absolutely correct about the cleaning and dressing that must occur afterwards.

You MUST have a doctor address this issue in consideration of the green-colored puss draining from the wound. The last thing you need is a blood-borne infection racing around your body. Even if it means eating ramen noodles, rice, beans, and tuna fish for the next six months you MUST seek proper medical attention. Good luck.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dude I crashed on my 49cc Derbi scooter last summer in shorts & T. I didnt get rash that bad, but i got about a half dollar bill size scar on my elbow. Just keep hydro perox, and bandanges on it. Man does it hurt in the shower!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what type of illnesses are we talking about here? can you really get a bad illness from gravel and dirt? so far all ive done is pour hydro peroxide on them. It hurts like a mother, i havent even attempted to scrape the contaminents out of them. O yea, im sure the showers gonna be fun too. How long do you think it will take to heal? the one on my arm covers about half of my arm. The one on my leg goes from my pinky toe to my kneecap. thx for the helpful responses, i suppose ill go scream some more trying to clean them. :crying:

·
Registered
55 Posts
golfskiplay said:
So what type of illnesses are we talking about here? can you really get a bad illness from gravel and dirt? so far all ive done is pour hydro peroxide on them. It hurts like a mother, i havent even attempted to scrape the contaminents out of them. O yea, im sure the showers gonna be fun too. How long do you think it will take to heal? the one on my arm covers about half of my arm. The one on my leg goes from my pinky toe to my kneecap. thx for the helpful responses, i suppose ill go scream some more trying to clean them. :crying:
just think of all the things that get on the ground. oils, bird crap, water runoff that picks up everything on the way. Just think all that is ground into your skin and is working in your blood stream.
Dude a proper cleaning and some antibiotics would do you some good. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi golfskiplay-

Skin is the largest organ on the human body and when large swatches of it are breached (like in this kind of accident) one is a bit more prone to nasty infection. The malady you're seeking to potentially avoid is called sepsis.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
414 Posts
it would be un-enjoyable if that got infected. I know it hurts, but you have to put peroxide on it and scrub it at the same time with a clean washcloth. After all of the gravel and sand bubble out it would be best to use some rubbing alcohol on it. A buddy of mine was in a serious wreck and the doctor actually put him in a small tub of peroxide. I was amazed at how much dirt and grit bubbled out of his rash and ended up on the bottom of the tub.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd say post some pics so we can see how bad... but then leave a freakin' warning for those w/ a weak stomach :hurl:

road rash sure, but how deep? its a good idea to keep cleaning it for the next couple of days, iodine also works pretty well on wounds. If its not that deep, then keep cleaning as others have suggested. when the pussing simmers down a bit I suggest you ease up on the peroxide use, sure its an antiseptic and kills all the germs, but you are also destroying all the clotting red blood cells that are trying to close the wounds. If the pus does not stay consistently white or slightly yellow and is always a different color then seek medical attention. I believe if you start feeling signs of fatigue and develop a fever in the next few days it would be a good indication of a systemic infection or sepsis from the wound.

speediest recovery :thumb:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Off topic, but when I first read Blue Jays' post, I read sepsis as sepias... made sense as he sounds like something you'd like to avoid :twofinger

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
WEAR THAT HELMET ALWAYS! Or you and BEN R. will have at least one thing in common.

As for road rash... some rubbing alcohol, anti-bacterial cream, and advil did the trick for me. I never used band-aid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts