Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to post this as soon as I could..

Man I dodged a bullet on saturday. Here is how the story goes. I borrow my friends bike, cuz i want to go ride, and do a trackday. He says sure, you can borrow it. So I say...cool, i can have a lil fun before the season is over. Well plans change for the track day due to a funeral. So a few of us decide to head up to the drag strip on saturday morning. So we are under way, goin through some twisties, and the lead rider got clocked at 70 coming out of the last one onto the straight. Now it must be our luck, better yet my luck that a cop was sitting a lil ways down the road ....(the only cop we saw all flippin day)...So the cop starts following us, and we come up to a stop sign.... we all stop, and the cop has done nothing at this point other than follow. so the first two of us go after the stop sign, and we dont speed away or anything, and then the cop comes up out of nowhere and pulls me over. This is where it got interesting. He says to me " sorry about the bad news"...so i ask him, what do you mean sir?....now in my excitement to ride (its been 2 months, due to my R6 getting stolen), that i dont even bother to check the plate, or for bike papers....this cop was actually really nice, and i know my attitude was a big factor in his attitude.

he could have cited me for all of the following.

1.) Expired Registration
2.) No Proof of Registration
3.) No Proof of insurance.
4.) Suspended License (which i found out about right then and there...talk about new information that could have been useful a while ago) that would have put me in cuffs and sent me to jail.

What he did cite me for..

1.) Expired Registration Tag.

Everything else he let me off with a warning, and all because i was nice, respectful, and (for my own ass' sake) acting quite sheepish.

After he had made his final decisions, he told me that he liked my attitude and that he wished more people, and im guessing bikers esp., would have that same attitude....see, a smile goes a long way....

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
A good attitude and a smile goes a long way in many situations, glad you had yours with you. :)

I am surprised he nailed you for the expired tags on a bike that isn't yours, but maybe things are different where you live. :confused: In CA, only the registered owner could get nailed for things like that.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I had some good Police Karma myself this weekend. Thanks to the State Trooper on US-23 and N. Territorial for cutting a fellow rider a break.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
NOW I know what bike you're talkin about on the other Ubly thread LOL... (laughing at my recollection not your situation)

We were all surprised to see you not be hauled off to jail or at least the bike taken away... glad to see you made it back apparently ok...

E.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DreamRyder said:
NOW I know what bike you're talkin about on the other Ubly thread LOL... (laughing at my recollection not your situation)

We were all surprised to see you not be hauled off to jail or at least the bike taken away... glad to see you made it back apparently ok...

E.

yeah...that dryden cop was the only cop i saw all day....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
More good police karma

Two weeks ago I was on a ride up in the mountains when a cop goes by in the opposite direction as I'm going about 70-80mph in a 40 zone WHILE busting a double yellow line during a pass.

Needless to say, as I saw him hit his lights and turn around, I thought I was pretty much screwed.

I pull over right away, into a wide dirt lot on the side of the road. He didn't have to chase me down at all.

Conversations went pretty much like this:

Officer: Gets out of his car right away and starts walking over
to me. As he walks over, he says "Well I suppose
you know why I pulled you over."

Me: Yeah, passing on that double yellow line I'm sure.
Sorry officer, that was really stupid.

Officer: I appreciate you pulling over right away.
I know you guys like to come up here and tear it up
in the mountains. And I don't have a problem with
that. Just don't do it on this particular road- it's
double yellow all the way into the next town and it's
really dangerous to be passing here.
Today's your lucky day. I don't have my ticket book
with me, so I'm not going to give you one.
Just take it a little easier and be careful out there.

Then, he shakes my hand and drives away. He didn't even bother to check my license/registration/insurance card. Whole event didn't take more than a minute or two. I was stunned but very grateful for my good fortune.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Nick_OMC said:
4.) Suspended License (which i found out about right then and there...talk about new information that could have been useful a while ago) that would have put me in cuffs and sent me to jail.
Care to give this story?
:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Wow did I ever Dodge a bullet, this time more than one....

four_by_ken said:
Care to give this story?
:D

yeah...apparently there was some sort of reinstatement fee that i had to pay, and no....i was not aware of it....hence the suprise of it all...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: More good police karma

zxrider said:
Then, he shakes my hand and drives away.
odd he shook your hand, most cops will never shake hands with anybody while on duty. never heard of that, honestly, i think there was a thread on this site a while back even that was talking about how cops never shake hands with anyone, and someone who was a cop chimed in and told us why, but i forget. ok, yup theres your useless piece of information for the day.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I don't want to sound like I'm proud or bragging, but I got off on the last 5 out of 6 times I was pulled over using my military ID. I get caught for EVERYTHING I do wrong, so now I don't set myself up for failure and hang out with the wrong people or excessively break the law. My military ID is like a little slice of heaven.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've been pulled over on my bike about 10 times now, and no tickets. Having a clean record for 17 years goes a LONGGGGGGGG way :thumb:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Re: Re: More good police karma

Neller0414 said:
odd he shook your hand, most cops will never shake hands with anybody while on duty. never heard of that, honestly, i think there was a thread on this site a while back even that was talking about how cops never shake hands with anyone, and someone who was a cop chimed in and told us why, but i forget. ok, yup theres your useless piece of information for the day.
Yeah, you are right on that. In hindsight, I guess it was a bit unusual. But he was the one who put his hand out there first, so I wasn't about to diss a cop who was giving me such a big break!

·
Registered
154 Posts
bmacd said:
I don't want to sound like I'm proud or bragging, but I got off on the last 5 out of 6 times I was pulled over using my military ID. I get caught for EVERYTHING I do wrong, so now I don't set myself up for failure and hang out with the wrong people or excessively break the law. My military ID is like a little slice of heaven.
I get that being a nurse as well- just got pulled over goin 25mph over the limit and the cop just let me go after finding out i was a nurse. My get out of jail free card!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
LuckyStrike said:
I've been pulled over on my bike about 10 times now, and no tickets. Having a clean record for 17 years goes a LONGGGGGGGG way :thumb:
It sure does.:D

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
jjkGURU said:
17 years?!? damn, you're ooooold :twofinger
Sh*t, I ain't even as old as Eunice :D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
damn...i had a horrible record after 17 years - of being alive! ive already had my license restricted n stuff....yeah im a bad boy. no accidents, just lots and lots of speeding, and speeding very fast. lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Military ID when I was active. Veteran plates on my truck now. Clean record.

I usually get off or get cut a break.

Kevin

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
LuckyStrike said:
Sh*t, I ain't even as old as Eunice :D
Shit, I ain't even as old as Speedy :twofinger

E.
(next)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts