Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OGK Aeroblade

I talked my parents into byeing me my leathers and helment :D :D

It's sold overseas I don't know were but would I be able to use it since it's not DOT approved.

------------------
Kyle M. m/15 cb350
Noblesville,IN
"So many cats so few recipes"

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats a bad pic

------------------
Kyle M. m/15 cb350
Noblesville,IN

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was gonna get one of those from head hunter racing, but it was going to take way to long to get them in, so I got an arai quantam F. I beleive Simpson sells the same helmet under the name FF3. Saw it in a catalog, forget which one though. Only color option was either black or white. Around $300 I beleive, not sure.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
It is my understanding that, if there is no DOT certification then it is illegal. That doesn't stop most people(i.e., cruiser folks wearing the "turtle shells"). ;)

Heck you've got a computer... print you a DOT sticker. :rolleyes:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can't imagine a cop ever looking at a helmet like that, and insisting on seeing the DOT sticker. Considering some of the joke helmets you see bikers wearing, why on earth would they hassle you for wearing what is obviously a quality helmet.

I say, as long as it passes the strictest forms of testing in the major countries, go ahead and wear it!

The funny thing is, at Laguna they were selling new Suomy helmets, and they haven't received their DOT certification yet. What's up with that? I don't know, and I don't care. It has all the Euro certifications, and my new Ben Bostrom Replica, complete with Ben's autograph (YES! :D) looks shweeeeeeet!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with AZ on this. They are not likely to ask if they stop you.

I would imagine that the Euro specs are more restrictive. It's because they are as good a riders as the Americans and the Australians. :rolleyes: The DOT specs are pretty much a joke IMO.

That Bostrom helmet is awesome. :cool:

------------------
John

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about track days and raceing?

------------------
Kyle M. m/15 cb350
Noblesville,IN

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hmmmmm.

Y'know, that's a good question. I know a lot of rule books and track day regulations say, "DOT approved helmets", and they do inspect your helmet during tech. However, in my experience, they are looking at the overall condition of the helmet. I don't remember actually seeing a tech inspector checking out certification tags.

I suppose it's possible they could hassle you on that rule, but damn, they would really have to be a bunch of d*cks to do that.

If you know the track day organizers or race clubs you might want to run in your area, maybe you should call them and ask what their policy would be before you invest in the helmet...

It would definitely suck to get that sweet new lid, and then have them tell you you can't ride on a track with it!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I read on line info for a couple of the schools and their's specifically stated DOT and Snell M95 certs. This was last year at some point but I doubt that they actually check. I would think, like AZ, that they would have to be real d*ckheads to not allow a quality helmet on the track just because of a sticker. I believe I saw a couple of privateer guys wearing Suomy helmets at Mid Ohio.

------------------
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
I may be going to England in a few months so the idea of picking up a helmet there and bringing back here has occurred to me. The only thing that I am concerned with is that if you were to get into an accident, can the insurance company refuse to cover you since you were wearing an "illegal" helmet?

------------------

·
Registered
192 Posts
The helmet looks great and I am sure it will protect your head, but without that DOT sticker I wouldn't wear it. Your insurance company is looking for any excuse not to pay and if you take a spill and they find out the helmet wasn't DOT certified they won't pay a penny, in my opinion.

I like my Shoei RF-R, but will probably upgrade to an RF-800 when the season is over and they go on sale by me.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts