Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

When I got back from a ride on Saturday, my rear sprocket was all messed up, the teeth were REALLY worn down - to almost half what they should be.
I noticed it because nearing home, the chain was 'skipping' occasionally under power. It seemed kind of sudden but to be honest I hadn't looked at the sprocket for wear for a while.
Is there a common cause for this sort of thing or do sprockets just wear out!! It has about 12K miles on it. This does seem rather drastic though - there were hardly any points left on the teeth at all..

I tend to run my chain a little on the loose side, would that account for it?

I have replaced the sprocket now with the original (barely used) stock item but am searching for intelligence about the probably cause of the wear.

Any help would be appreciated.

(I posted this request for help on the infopop ducati forum also.)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hey Bill, if the sprocket was aluminum, 12K is not surprising. Your front sprocket and chain are likely pretty well trashed at this point too. Unless your chain was dragging-the-ground loose, it is not the problem. Check out www.onoffroad.com for a new set of chain and sprockets. Prices are probably lower than you think, and definetly lower than the repair costs to your engine case and/or your leg should the chain break.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments Tristan, I'm going to take your advice (concurred with by a few other folk) and get a new set... now begins the research..

Thanks for the link too.

When will we see you down in Hocking Hills BTW - we're all getting a bit slow and rusty without you to keep the pace up...

·
Registered
22 Posts
12k isn't surprising. Mine only last 8k last time. buy AFAM. They've got good sprockets. Front and rear. Make sure you do the chain too or else your old chain could mess up your new sprockets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts