Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There needs to be a World Cup thread! So, who will advance to the semis? Germany or USA? Senegal or Turkey? Spain or Korea? England or Brazil? Don't know, don't care?

I think there should be a Loser Cup too. That way I can watch Finland and the Philippines play.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. because it is the worlds most popular sport.

2. I think Germany will come out the winner of the match on Friday, but it would be nice to see the USA set another record for itself in the same cup.

As for the Finland vs. Philippines match. It would be a close one.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I watch the usa games when i catch them on tv. All i really know is that its an embarrassment for any country that loses to, or ties in a match with the US team. Im happy they made it this far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent match! USA had a couple of really good shots on goal. Now Im for Germany all the way and hope Brazil goes down in the next round.

·
Registered
71 Posts
its completely amazing how Futbol means soo much to the rest of the world, but here in the states it rates less popular than dirt. People sacrifice their children/jobs/lives for it everywhere else.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not everyone in the rest of the world is interested in football.
I certainly am not interested in it. 22 grown men chasing a bag of wind around a field !!! What a waste of time.
The only interest i showed was delight that Brazil put England out:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost all sports involve grown men chasing things around whether that be a football, hockey puck or a golf ball. So by naefearjustbeer's line of thinking nearly every sport would be a waste of time. Anything can be simplified to that point, such as:
1. What's the point of racing? They just drive in circles!
2. What's the point of studying math? The till does everything!
3. What's the point of shagging? You only get tired!
What a waste of time!;)

Good football\soccer displays intense athleticism and strategy, and that is where the value and entertainment is for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Napalm said:
1. because it is the worlds most popular sport.

It is the most popular sport for watching in my country but you will find it is not the sport that has the most active participents. Try Fishing or Angling it is the biggest particpation sport in my country and probally the world.
I.e. football is an excuse to sit on your arse and shout racist comments and sectarian songs for 90 minites whilst drinking copius amounts of alcohol. How many people get attacked or stabbed or have bottles thrown at them just because of the colour of their shirt when they are out fishing.:eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats true and very sad, football tends to get fanatical and it gets to be obsene whenever people get hurt. I will certainly concede that! Most recently in Russia, but remember Kobenhavn at the last UEFA Cup? :eek: I enjoy the game, not the hooligans at the stadium.

But the game in itself, I find entertaining and interesting.

Oh yeah, and Ill rephrase a previous comment. Most "team" sports involve grown men chasing something, since fishing is most decidedly not a team sport. (Of course, it could be argued that they are chasing fish around...anyways..not gonna go there!!!hahaha)

Go Germany:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
The trouble in Russia was terrible but what is worse is the fact the hooligans were basing themselves on Organised English Football Hooligans at their worst.
It was nice to hear that there was not much trouble at the world cup this year (so far touch wood) But maybe this is because the games are being held in countries that do not have a long established football culture with the thugs that go along with it and spoil things for the real fans. In some cities in this country you can be attacked just for walking down the wrong street wearing the wrong colours.
The sport of football may be enjoyed by millions but I do not see why it is worth getting so excited about. Of course if Scotland had been playing this time I may have shown a little bit of patriotic interest just because it is nice to see how your country gets on in whatever they are competeing in . Even though they dont win a little bit of support can always help.

3. What's the point of shagging? You only get tired!
Yip but what a way to tire yourself out :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Napalm, athough your taste in music is like longing for burnt McDonald's ;) , you're OK :)

Peace!
ChR1s

·
Registered
609 Posts
In order to enjoy watching just about any sport, you gotta play it. Billions of people play futbol, therefore billions will watch it.

As for myself, soccer is my 2nd favorite sport....HOCKEY RULES! I am especially enjoying players getting ejected for taking dives.:D :D :D

About World Cup 2002. I love it that the Itals, and French are out. I've gotten sick of hearing how they're such soccer gods. I say, " GO SEMEGAL ". But as things stand, my money's on Brazil.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:

How many people get attacked or stabbed or have bottles thrown at them just because of the colour of their shirt when they are out fishing.:eek:
lol, good one

·
Registered
609 Posts
Blackbird said:

Yeah I'm rooting for SeNegal too! :)
Brazil's looking pretty potent though - at least one of the big names is playing well!

my goodness, one little typo in 2 years and the spelling cops are after me.:twofinger

Go Brazil.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good-bye Senegal. This seems to have been the year of the underdog teams. They all gave the big guys a challenge.

Im just like oldgixer who is kind of tired of hearing about teams that are supposed to be football gods. For me that is Brazil. Even though I like FCB and Rivaldo, Im tired of hearing about how great Brazil is.

I didn't get to see the last half of the Senegal vs. Turkey match this morning. At about 5:30am I had to flip a coin to decide whether to ride or watch the match. I chose Canyon Lake.:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts