Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Popped me cherries I guess], My bike highsided around 5 pm, I really need to rest and heal so I can't type much now.

But one rider to another, just wanted to remind everyone if you're still riding, this is the time of the year to be most aware, even if you have to go slow or feel bored. And not only traffic, but definitely watch out for sand, gravels, and slippery stuff on turns or wherever..

Ride Safe, Be Safe. Always Wear All Your Gears, Don't Hit the Starter Switch Without Helmet On.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yikes. I've been riding to work everyday of this week. Mornings are in the 20's and afternoon's are between 30-40. Even wearing full leathers, neck sock, helmet, boots, and 4 layers of shirts. Its still damn cold. But not cold enough to stop riding. I've had some dealings with ice already and they aren't that bad, atleast I'm not hitting them in a curve. I stay at speed limit or flow of traffic as wind chill is pretty damn cold. Once temp gets into the teens, I'm puttin up the gloves.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
JBaz said:
I've had some dealings with ice already and they aren't that bad, atleast I'm not hitting them in a curve.
You should try going out riding the night after it snows and before the plows have come through your neighborhood.. it's great fun. :laughing: I was sliding my rear tire out at least 45 degrees each way around turns :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Not the sort of thing I like hear about or read. Wishing you the best in recovery & when you have the time let us know what happened.

As you know I winterized my three bikes around the end of October for Winter, snow, salt/sand/gravel & two wheeled m/cs do not get along. I guess 59 yrs of riding has told me what best to do for I hate having a dinged in bike come around the time to stop riding or a bit to early in the spring for riding.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whole thing kept repeating hundreds of times over my head, and for me to detail every bits of it would be tedious to read.

Long story short, there's this right turn two lane road that I've been taking to get to my house for the past six months. And it always had sand and gravels on it. Occasionally, I felt the rear drift for a bit, but didn't think much of it.

Well this time, I suppose I was looking through the turn, as I knew those things are always there, I guess on this day, there was more of it. So I skipped taking the early and late apex, as I figured the front end would wash out on the gravels and sand, so I went for middle of the lane.

I guess I was keeping a little more speed and little more lean than usual, when I felt the rear sliding on sand and gravels and losing traction. Since it was a right turn and I had to lean the bike to right, well the bike never came out of the lean, it was still making the turn, tipping over to the right as if about to fall. I was running out of pavement and the bike was heading toward dirt and trees and poles. First reaction was, oh shit, I didn't want to lowside, not in this situation. Kept away from the brakes, as it would've been a definite lowside. I tried to steer the bike a bit to left and kept on the throttle. What seemed to happen fast, actually felt like minutes. And then the next second I remember hanging onto the bike on its left side, like one would during knee dragging. I did my best to hang on as much as possible so I don't get crushed or thrown off by the bike. Eventually, the bike fell on its LEFT side, and I let it go. For a second we were going side by side, and I was terrified, but then rear wheel produced more momentum, swinging the bike 180 degrees on its side. Lucky for me, there was no car on the opposite side and I quickly drifted to dirt which reduced the dragging and injuries, same goes for the bike.

And then, again lucky for me, a fellow rider on a ZX-12R passing by saw me fall, quickly came to my aid and helped me pick up the bike, while I was taking off my gloves and cursing in my helmet. :D. The carbs were flooded, so we had a chat about laying down while we waited. The rear set holder on the left side snapped off, so there was no way I could shift, except guess the gear I was on. He helped me get it to neutral while I start the bike up and shifted to 2nd for me through trial and error. Very cool guy, I was grateful.

Usually, I always wear my bulky leather jacket, except, you guessed it, that day. I don't know how adrenaline works, but I think my body produced morphine, as I didn't feel a damn thing until I got home. Then it started burning and aching, I had road rash on both arms, elbows, and knee caps, and on the left shoulder blade. Around the elbows were worst, since my entire skin was shreded until thick juicy layer of white and beige fat was showing. Nice image. My body was sore for and bruised for three days, didn't really bother going for x-ray. But the road rash and cuts took the longest to heal, even after a month, I still have cuts, now they're big scars. I think most of the injury could been avoided if I was consistent on wearing the jacket. I was wearing full sweater and new jeans, snickers, helmets, and gloves.

Oh yeah, helmet works, saved my head.

The left fairings were scratched pretty bad, broken left mirror, and left rear set holder, other than that, the bike held up pretty well in what I would guess ~25-30 mph highside on the street. Thanks Honda for making a sturdy bike, thanks intuitive frame sliders for saving my frame and fairings, and thanks Suomy for saving my head. And thank God for saving my life.

The bike is now mostly fixed except for the mirror. I was riding it yesterday, but I think my nerves were shaken up. The bike feels it's accelerating faster than before, and even going 50 mph on fast turns has me roll off at times, feels like riding the bike for first time. The bike itself feels a bit slow to turn or flick around. And gearbox feels clunky to shift.

Some graphics for your viewing pleasure:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I was trying to think up some prize sarsactic few words, but then I cannot. Do like your lovely sketchings.

Yes you take it a bit fast through or over gravel & things tend to happen even though you did not count on it to be so. Fortunately it was not to bad & the bike stood up well. Now you will have battle scars you can show some doll.

Good though to hear nothing, of you was broken or toren. Road rash is a bummer especially when you get gravel is in so deep that the Doc simply gives up digging for then you have gravel in your hide for life. Common to us old timers for less then 25% of the road were paved with other 75% being gravel, dirt, cinders meaning also in many cases we had to eat the dust of the dirt roads, to try to ride through the mud, & dust from gravel as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Glad you're alright, Z., looks like the bike is healing up. too....That nervous feeling will pass pretty quickly.........

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
That was the best described wreck I ever heard. Felt like I was there..

Glad you're alright, hopefull you wont scar too bad. The rearset can be welded back together..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know any good welder, so I just replaced it. I figured it was so brittle, it might snap off again, plus if it's not perfectly placed, it might affect length of where the peg is positioned. $60 OEM.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Glad you're on the up-and-up and the ride's getting pieced back together :thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts