Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
James: It is going to depend upon the temperture rather then the word "winter". Then you have something to go by plus chill factor & what might be on the pavement like gravel or sand.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In my area basically around end of October or early in November it is simply to cold to ride. Freezing temperatures in the morning & right through the day basically put a halt to riding. It no longer becomes the enjoyment of riding & most of us revert to our cages till something like lst part of March & some it will be late or April to early May.

In fact right now many have put their bikes away, but I look September as one of the best riding months of the year, for colours of the leaves are changing & 75% of the tourists have gone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With winter on the way I was just taking another look at my cold weather habbits. Here we are blessed with enough warmth to ride year round bar only ice and snow which is rare and only lasts a few days. I just make it a rule to run down 5 to 8 mph once the daytime temps drop into the 50's, leaning more on the 8 mph end at night when the temp drops. Basicly how much traction do you think we loose when road and air temps drop down into the 50-10 rang? I know that's a large rang, but I find myself riding through those ranges every winter. I've never lost a tire on clean pavement at those temps, so I just don't know how much the traction drops on cold pavement.

James.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I use to drop the tyre pressure when I noted the road racing track was wet & it helped quite a bit AND do it when I note it has started to pour rain when I am on my back stretch of a ride. Still how many carry air pressure gauges with them for it is an old habit with me? Especially with the types on tyres we had in the late 40s to well into the 60s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts