Sportbike World banner

Windsheild rattles + a tire question

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Rossco929 
#1 ·
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1. I have a zero gravity windsheild on my 98 F3 and it's beginning to rattle right in the power band (especially in 1st) and its annoying the S**T out of me! I'm not possitive that it's the sheild, but when I push on it while I'm riding it stops. Yes, the screws are tight. Any ideas?

2. Also, I found a nail in my rear tire and it's leaking air slowly. Is it possible to fix motorcycle tires or should I just get a fresh one? There is some tread left; I wanted to make it through fall because by spring time I'm going to need a front tire and I'd rather do it all at once. Whenever I do buy new tires, what's the best way to go about buying them (catalog/take rims into shop/or take bike to shop and let them do it all) ??

P.S Is it true that you should slightly burn out a new tire or is it all ready to go?

------------------
Fast F3 98'

#2 ·
Most shops will not patch tires because of the high heat of motorcycle tires. The plug style patches work but again are not recomended. I used one on my bike this summer but only rode it until my new tire came in. (it is your life :D)) You should be very carefull with a new tire for a few miles because they are very slippery because of a coating on them. I guess a burnout would speed up the process but still watch the side on cornering

------------------
curiousity killed the cat but for a while I was a suspect!!
Landon
92 viffer

#3 ·
Change tires. There is only a small patch of rubber front and rear between you and the pavement. Any small problem with those small patches can cause a huge problem for you. I changed the D205 on my ZR after only 300 miles as there was a chunk missing in the tread. Probably could have used it for a while longer, but the money spent is worth my life. We have lost to many this year; ride safe...

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR750F2, a.k.a. ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

#4 ·
I have a D207 with less than 300 miles on it, hanging on the wall in my garage. It had a small screw in it. That should let you know my opinion. It hurt to have to buy another one but it's cheaper than the bike or my body. Well my body is questionable but definitely the bike. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#6 ·
Speaking of tires. After two weeks of waiting on my rear tire from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, and tracking it's journey on UPS.com. I contacted UPS today and they said it's lost somewhere in Utah.
It was going from Colorado to Texas and ended up in Utah :confused:
So now they have to send me another one which is gonna take ANOTHER 7-10 days to get here. That's 3 1/2 weeks. Meanwhile, I'm riding around on a rear tire that's as smooth as a babies ass.
Is it just me or does this kinda Crap happen to you guys too??

------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

#7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ratsalad:
snip...Is it just me or does this kinda Crap happen to you guys too??...snip
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...it's just you Dave. ;)

Did you get them to waive the shipping charges? A reputable company will do that. I would demand that they send another one *next-day air*, or two-day at the least. Then again, you're dealing with MAW...bummer.

------------------
-Paul
If God dropped acid, would he see people?

#8 ·
un-answered question: tighten your mirrors and the windscreen will tighten up. if that doesn't work, it may be the the covers for the fairing stay. they did on my f2 and i took them off.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

#9 ·
i say it depends on where the nail is.

i had 4 nails in less than 10 days in a rear tire.. 2 in the same day.. when they were doing some construction.

i patched them all & rode. they were all in the center & 3 were in a groove & i never had any problems.. i even did some track time on them.

my new azaros got a small hole after about 400 miles.. no way i just paid 350 for new tires.. so i patched it.. fine so far. have been at max speed for several miles at a time w/no problem.. but again it is center tire.

if i had money to throw away i wouldnt think twice about replacing the tire though.

------------------

G
#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedPhreak:

if i had money to throw away i wouldnt think twice about replacing the tire though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if I had my life to throw away, I wouldn't think twice about riding on a patched tire.

Sorry for the smart-assed comment Speed, but your statement was the perfect setup for me to convey my sentiments on the subject. ;)

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

#14 ·
Just to enter the plug vs throw away thing you guys have going.

My new BT020 got a nail in it the other day, I did not hesitate to get it plugged.

With a proper Z rated patch & plug and with the wheel rebalanced, I don't feel this is in anyway going to be dangerous.

Note: not all can be repaired, if the hole was made on a angle, the patch and plug would not sit right.

I'm with Squid, in terms of cost. With the amount of Kms that I do, I could not afford to ride my bike if I replaced tyres at every nail.

Having plugged a number of times on numerous tyres (also a few friends) I'm yet to have a single problem.

Just my 0.02

Ross :)

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

[This message has been edited by Ross (edited October 03, 2000).]

#15 ·
well, the debate on plugging & not plugging could probably go on for ever.

for the windshield, if a screw is stripped then it should be replaced.. if that doesnt work then maybe some silicon caulk or liquid gasket or similar item to add some cushion. its really hard (for me anyway) to diagnose on line w/out seeing the problem. u need to isolate exactly where the vibration is then u can better find the cause leading to a solution.

------------------

#16 ·
Well, since the word "life" was mentioned several times, I became a little scared so I went and got 2 new D207s just to be on the safe side. --Thanks

However, my wind sheild is still rattling. I tried tightening the mirrors, but had no luck there. Then I went to retighten the 2 screws that attach the sheild, and I found that one is stripped. There's not much room to work with so I don't know what to do!
--Thanks again for any ideas!

------------------
Fast F3 98'

#17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ross:

I'm with Squid, in terms of cost. With the amount of Kms that I do, I could not afford to ride my bike if I replaced tyres at every nail.

Having plugged a number of times on numerous tyres (also a few friends) I'm yet to have a single problem.

Just my 0.02

Ross :)

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I would never ride on a plugged motorcycle tire. A plugged car tire, no problem, but never on a bike. Those nails go right through your plies and radial steel belts as well, you know (depending on the construction of the tire). It is easy to patch a hole in the rubber, but that is the minor part of the damage. There is no way I am going to go 150+ mph on a tire with damaged beltts/plies. I must admit that I am a bit baffled, though. I have been riding on the street for 18 years, and I have never, not once, had a nail in any of my streetbike tires. Where are you guys riding where nail damage factors into your riding budget?

------------------
Rossco.

#18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:

...I have been riding on the street for 18 years, and I have never, not once, had a nail in any of my streetbike tires...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
'till now! You, my friend, have just jinxed yourself! :D

------------------
I wouldn't be so paranoid if you all weren't out to get me.

#19 ·
If a plug blows out on a car the tire goes flat. Happens on a bike, you could go down. Just do the safe thing and buy a new tire. After all you have what, 4 square inches of contact when riding.
Plugs bad!

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.