Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding quads for a long time know and want get a sport bike . I guess what i am wondering is will my quad experience help me on a sport bike. I know they are very different animals in many respects but riding a moded 400ex has giving me great respect for speed(tap of the thumb in any gear and your up on 2 wheels). I have also become very use to using the clutch system of the quad(same as sport bike slightly lower rpms) will this help me on a bike.

·
Registered
866 Posts
not really, the problem with a bike is staying on 2 wheels, not shifting and clutch work. riding a quad is easy I did that when I was 7, but a bike is a challenge. go and take the msf coarse, it will teach you haow to ride

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the quad will give you a very slight edge on someone who has NEVER ridden before. you'll understand the shifting a wee better.

however, a quad is a totally different animal. i've known people who've gone from quads to sportbikes with less transistion than others from dirtbikes to streetbikes. but that's the exception.

the problem is the physics of each machine is very different. it's like someone telling you, i can drive a car fast, so i know i'd be the man riding a quad. totally different physics.

do yourself a favor, get a cheap starter bike (gs500, ex500, kz550, gpz550, seca550, gs550, etc.) and give your insurance a few years to get over the shock of you having a bike. and if you crash it, it's cheap to fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, I think it will help some.....I also went from a quad to a streetbike (10 years ago), and it definitely made things easier. Granted you are used to a thumb throttle, but there's no learning curve going from a thumb to a twist really. You are obviously used to shifting and braking with your feet, braking clutching and throttling with your hands, so when you climb on a bike now, you can focus soley on learning to ride. The shifting/throttle/brake part isn't all that hard anyway, but it's one less thing you need to learn. And when you first start riding, and you come upon an unexpected situation, you'll instinctually know what to do with your controls....you can focus on the bike and the situation itself instead. Anyway, yeah, I think it'll help a bit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't think the quad experiance is going to help much. I would suggest you take the Motorcycle Safety Foudation Rider Course ASAP. After that take the advanced course also once you have your own bike. Dont go get a GSXR1000 or anything like that for your first bike either.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Having ridden both, I'd say the quad experience will help a bit.

IIRC, the shifting on quads is: press down to upshift. That could get ugly if you are trying to accelerate really hard on a bike and down shift at the redline.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
stoinkythepig said:

IIRC, the shifting on quads is: press down to upshift. That could get ugly if you are trying to accelerate really hard on a bike and down shift at the redline.
i wasn't sure, it's been a million years since i rode a quad. he can reverse the knuckle on many bikes and set it to shift like the quad. it'll suck at the msf course, but....

·
Registered
13 Posts
stoinkythepig said:
the shifting on quads is: press down to upshift. That could get ugly if you are trying to accelerate really hard on a bike and down shift at the redline.
Not the case with all quads...mine was press up to upshift (Suzuki Quadsport 250). Same holds for the Suzuki Quadracer. Not sure about other brands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stoinkythepig said:

No they shift just like a sportbike 1st, N, 2,3,4,5

·
Registered
60 Posts
First of all. All quads are the same shitft pattern as sportbikes - at least all the main manufacturers. 1 down, everything else up - and YES, if you have ridden modded quads, the transition will be a lot easier than someone with no riding experience - If you can ride a bycycle you can ride a motorcycle - how good depends on learning. I hate when people act like riding a motorcycle is super hard. Just take it easy. Learn at a good pace, don't whack the throttle until your ready, and you will adjust fairly easy. I have a Yamaha Banshee, and I have rode quads all my life - You are def. further along than idiot kids who hop on a bike and have no idea how to control something that gets. - Anybody who can ride a quad good, will learn how to ride a bike good in my opinion. - I ride within my means - I am not an expert rider - but I KNOW that quad experience will help you tremendously - I am not trying to knock anyone, but it is obvious people are expressing opinions that have not even ridden quads, let alone high performance ones - not your Uncle Bills backwoods hick quad, - they may be shocked that a a modded banshee can do 0-60 in sand in 4 seconds. Obviously turning is completely different, but it all starts with throttle control and shifting. Good luck - by the way. Those 400ex's are wheelie kings!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts