Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surfing the web right now on my desk top and couldn't have a better connection. I also have my laptop right next to the wireless router and it's signal strenght is very low or no connection at all. Does anybody know if there is a setting that I need to change under internet properties perhaps that I am unaware of. I don't see the point in a wireless router if I can't get a good signal. Especially when the laptop is 1 inch from the router. Thanks for any info. on this non-bike related question. Actually this is bike related, because if I can't get a signal in my garage, how can I check all the new posts from Sportbike World when I'm working on one of the bikes!? There; it is now bike related!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted!:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi YZFr6-TX:

Are you 100% certain that your machine is connecting to your router as the default? Depending on your neighborhood, it could be accessing a variety of routers. I can connect using one of four from my living room because my neighbors' networks are unsecured.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You should make sure you have the correct router selected. If your running windows XP go to the bottom right hand corner of you screen by the clock. You should see a little arrow pointing to the left. Click it and the bar will expand. Now look for something that looks like a computer with little bars ((( coming off it. Double click on it and you will get a new window that pops up. In the bottom right corner above close you should see a button that says view wireless networks. Click on it and anouther window will pop up. You will most likely have several networks to choos from, find the one with the most bars on it and highlight it then click connect. If you get a window that says its an unsecured network click connect anyways (this is most likely the reason why it connected to the wrong network, windows XP will not connect to an unincripted network unless you force it to). If that doesn't solve your problem unplug the power to your router and plug it back in and see if that does it. Past that it might be a hardware incapatability or a driver going bad, I can walk you through those as well.

Good luck
Sepias

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
Past that it might be a hardware incapatability or a driver going bad, I can walk you through those as well.
Or some significant interference.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Wireless signals act like an umbreallw. If you have the machine an inch from the router, you could be missing the signal all together. Pull the laptop 5-6 feet away and see if the signal increases. Other oprions

1. Unplug cordless phones and base units.
2. Change channel on router.
3. Place router in another part of hte room and see if signal changes, it can have interference from a pc monitor, tc etc.

What router is it?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not at the house right now, but I believe the router is made by Netgear. It is the basic $50 router from Dell computers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to thread jack but, do you guys know if it is illegal/safe to use a neighbors unsecured network? Is it like getting an internet access at a coffee shop until they decide to secure it? Or should I keep pluggin up my laptop whenever I decide to go downstairs?

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
tru7627 said:
Not to thread jack but, do you guys know if it is illegal/safe to use a neighbors unsecured network? Is it like getting an internet access at a coffee shop until they decide to secure it? Or should I keep pluggin up my laptop whenever I decide to go downstairs?
Yes it is illegal. A guy in Florida I think got arrested for it. :2cents:

·
Registered
183 Posts
It seems to be all over the place with people not securing there wireless. Someone in my apartment near me hasnt secured it. I have my own inernet, but I still see theres

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
I'm not at the house right now, but I believe the router is made by Netgear. It is the basic $50 router from Dell computers.
It very well could be your router. Netgear sucks horribly. I've always had problems with them. If your up to it replace it with a Linksys router.

About the whole jumping on other peoples network thing. Yes it is illegal. Does anyone usually care? No. I have my sister set up to print wirelessly though someone elses unsecured network. The reason why networks are usually left unsecured is either a lack of knowledge/know how or the person just doesn't care enough to do it. I haven't secured mine simply because I get laptops and PC's in all the time for repair and I dont want to have to set each one up with the proper encryptions and passwords to get through. Plus I run my own network server that is under lock and key for encryption, so they cant get to my data. But if they want to leech off my excess bandwith, I dont really care.

Sepias

1 - 12 of 12 Posts