Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 929. The wife wants to start riding the 99' 750 Katana. She's 5'4" tall, with a fairly long inseam. Her feet aren't completely flat on the ground when she sits on it(except for the time that I sat on the back, which isn't going to happen in public):) . Should we lower the bike, cut out some of the seat, or have her wear go go boots. What’s your impression of the Kat as a first bike? It's a little heavy, but it has a very smooth manageable power band in the low RPM's and a very comfy riding position. She really likes full fairing bikes, so esthetically the cat is perfect. She already has her helmet and padded leather Alpinestars jacket.
She wants to start taking baby steps in baron parking lots, and taking other baby steps, until she can do the MSF course in March.
Everyone might find this interesting; my wife actually suggested to me a while back that she would like to have a bike some day. A street bike was the furthest thing from my mind. Now it's always on my mind. So, she turned me on to street biking. WHAT A WOMAN!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Luckey $%#%#%&%$^%%*^*%%^*%^&^^%&

Kat 750 should be fine. If she can keep her balance and wheel it about easily enough at the slow speeds I wouldn't worry about adjusting it. If she's real close to tipping over then lower it till she's comfy. If she is confident then she's probably okay.

She got any sisters like her.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Go-Go boots sound good ha ha.... Wish her good luck from us all at SBW

Aaron

·
Registered
162 Posts
I forgot to say what's your first impressions of the 929 ??? I bet it feels like a rocket compared to what your used to riding

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If she's just shy of feeling stable with most of her feet on the ground, I'd look into shaving some foam off the seat or buying an aftermarket seat. That should solve the problem. Thick boots will help too, but I've found I don't like the tread on the bottom. I prefer a "smoother" sole so that my foot doesn't accidentally get stuck on the footpeg. It's an incidental problem, but for a new rider could be a bit nerve wracking.

As for starting on the Kat 750, she should be fine. I would always recommend starting smaller, but since it's a Katana and not a GSXR or something, she'll be fine. The Katanas are well suited to new riders.

Tell your wife for all us girls "welcome to the club!" :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
An aftermarket seat might lower it just enough so she can be comfortable at a stop light. If you don't want to pay full freight search the internet for used parts (especially ebay). People are always selling them. It might make sense for her to use the bikes provided by MSF - that way she has a little more experience / confidence when she sets out on the Kat.

·
Registered
482 Posts
go-go boots

watch out that they're not too thick though... might not have enough room between the peg and the shifter...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
desmo079 said:
Oh, Grant. You're in deep do-do now.
Keeps it interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The chasing and beatings are just her way of saying I love you.:D :D

Good thing she hasn't seen this.

Oh shit, uh, no honey, that's just a joke, when did you get home, uh, ouch, not so hard, I gotta go to work tomarrow and people will talk if they see the bruises again.

Gotta go!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
apexismaximus said:

Keeps it interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The chasing and beatings are just her way of saying I love you.:D :D

Good thing she hasn't seen this.

Oh shit, uh, no honey, that's just a joke, when did you get home, uh, ouch, not so hard, I gotta go to work tomarrow and people will talk if they see the bruises again.

Gotta go!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
No no no. You should have said. "But honey, I was just trying to find someone for Desmo!" ;)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I can never think faster than the frying pan flies though!!!!!!!
I'll try that next time though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
She should like the Kat. The 750 might be a little big but if she's comfortable..it should be fine. She might like the 600 better though. If you go to www.katanaplanet.com , there should be plenty of people who can make suggestions on lowering the bike or an aftermarket seat. Good to see another chick on a bike (that is not a Harley :hurl: ) Most of the chicks that ride around here are on cruisers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't know what the triple tree looks like on the kat 750 but you may be able to slide the forks up 3/4 of an inch which would lower the seat and quicken handling on a bike that few would describe as too twitchy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First, Thank you all for some great advice.
My new 929 is awesome, but so was/is the Kat. I'm glad we are able to keep the Kat in our stable. It's not the monster that the 929 is, but it has comfy ergos, smooth brisk acceleration(although it has to be kept on the boil), and is a very balanced confidence inspriing bike. It's pretty weird, I spent about 3 hours riding the 929 today, I came home and took the Kat out, the ergos felt like I was on a gold wing. Funny how quickly you adapt to a new bike. In short, I LLLove the 929, but I still like the Kat.
The Kat weighs 460 lbs dry, and puts out 91HP and 46FT.LB of torque, so I don't think it's a power hungry as some might think, most of the power is above 10,000 RPM, that's why I think it's a good starter bike. If my wife weighs 130 lbs, and if she were to drags with a 200 lbs person with a 390 lb 91HP bike, who would win. My wife has this ego thing going in that she doesn't want to sell her bigger bore bike to get something smaller, and wish she had her big bore bike a year from now. I get the evil eye when I say, "those Ninja 250's are nice, you'd be whipping that thing around in a months time". If we had an endless money supply we'd have one of every bike type, and the room to keep them.
I took her out to a parking lot today(she wanted too, couldn't talk her out of it, and wasn't gonna try), we starting without the bike being on, and we practiced, clutch, feather break to stop. Then she tried taking off in first and coming to a stop, then turning in the parking lot, then second gear, and a few times third gear. It took about and hour, but I think she's got it. After and hour I had to drag her away, she had a grin as big as the opening on her helmet. Amazingly, she did all this by balancing the Kat on the ball of her feet, women are amazing, and they have babies too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm always glad, and jealous, to hear about couples enjoying riding together. Congrats to the both of you. Sounds like you're having almost as much fun as she is. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Greg T said:
I get the evil eye when I say, "those Ninja 250's are nice, you'd be whipping that thing around in a months time". If we had an endless money supply we'd have one of every bike type, and the room to keep them.
What's wrong with a Ninja 250 :D ??? I can keep up with my husband on his Kat in the twisties and sometimes when my common sense is out to lunch, I can make him chase me. Now the highway is a different story but when I move up next year to a 600, I will be a pretty confident (and hopefully skilled) rider. I like riding my husband's Kat but I think my little bike has been a great teacher. Now that I am done defending my bike ;) I hope you guys have fun. I love being able to ride with my husband. He has even taught me how to do some of the routine maintenance. It's lots of fun to hang out and work on the bikes :D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
jjcm said:

What's wrong with a Ninja 250 :D ??? I can keep up with my husband on his Kat in the twisties and sometimes when my common sense is out to lunch, I can make him chase me
Oh the fun we can have with this comment, j/k.:D :D
With all the respect the katana get's and all ya know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
apexismaximus said:

Oh the fun we can have with this comment, j/k.:D :D
With all the respect the katana get's and all ya know.
My point was that a little bike can be fun too :) And thank you for not having fun with that comment :D Kats aren't bad bikes. The only thing wrong with the Kat is that the magazines hate them. Like the little ninja, Kats have their place as great beginner bikes because they can do a little of everything. Unfortunately neither bike gets much credit for that.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Amen to that sister. I think that at least half the kat riders are much smarter than the average sport bike rider cause they at least have a reasonable idea of what they are capable of and buy a bike that is closer to their reality. The other half are just cheap posers instead of the rich posers on r6's etc.:D :D

I think a ninja 250 could be a lot of fun too. I'd ride anything on 2 wheels though. Don't call me a slut, I'm kind'a sensitive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts