Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the MSF Training class last night and a question the instructor could not answer came up. We were discussing rear tire skids and how to recover from them . The question was whether or not wide tires would be more difficult to recover from or not. Anybody know the answer to this?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
If a tire is skidding/spinning, a wider one would have an easier time hooking back up simply because it has more surface area touching the ground (assuming the same weight is applied to it). Whether that is safer or not depends on the situation. Sometimes if the tire hooks back up it can cause highsides, etc. Other times you ride off on your merry way.

·
Registered
675 Posts
from my experience a wider tire only changes handeling... it tends to lean a bit lazy? It doesn't drop down quick to get into corners... as for locking up the back it shouldn't make a noticable difference... unless you went from a 180 to a 240... but I like to ride on 200's.... and never have felt a difference in locking up the rear and recovering...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts