Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
John,
The Mounds is OK and just that, OK...
I suggest the Ambrose loop in Rose City.. It's a nice day trip and only about 2 hours from Shelby TWP...
The loop is about 9 miles and very forgiving for kids, my nephews like it tons.. Venture off into the connectors and they will be in for tough times, but you will love it..

This is the site you need
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/1,1607,7-153-10365_15070_15080-38330--,00.html

I also suggest joining the Michigan cycle conservation club.. $25 and you can EXCELLENT map book and they host a few GREAT rides and rides for kids...

Lemme know if we can help..
Oh ya, the ride for today was cancelled due to crappy trail comditions, we are hoping for two weekd from today (supercross is next week)... It would be great if you could join us, the "guru" may even join...
Jon (jackdrinker) Daniel

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
James suggested a few places....The Holly Family Track is a great place for beginners. The track isn't great but my kids were just learning so it was good for them. :thumb:

Jen

·
Registered
264 Posts
Holly track is currently closed.... Until further notice

John, I'm not to sure you will like the owner... He's quit the hippy..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ha, he's a dirty hippy... Guy is a nutjob....

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm trying to get my dad to make a course in his back paddock at his house. He's got a Kobota, a backhoe and lots of time! It used to have horses in it so it's completely clear of trees and rocks.

What would be a good track to try and build on 5-6 acres? Of course, not TOO technical because the kids are still small....but something fun that they can grow into and get better at over a couple of years.....then change it to something sweet later! ;)

Anyone have some pics I can look at? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Jen

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hire Cori's brother to do it... They have a track building business and tons of years of experience doing layout
It would be cheaper, faster and safer than doing it yourself

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jen, they are currently doing a track up at EuroMotors in Davison, out behind the shop...But its definitely the way to go. Here is the track we have here (just to show you they know what the hell they are doing)...

http://media.putfile.com/backyard-track5
http://media.putfile.com/backyard-track6

And this is another track they have built and we ride it...its hard to get videos since it runs all through the woods.

I'm going to be doing a website for them as soon as school is out but if you are really interested I can put you in touch with him. I'm sure they could do something small but fun for your little guys in a day. They are all about making SAFE tracks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
636Jen said:
I'm trying to get my dad to make a course in his back paddock at his house. He's got a Kobota, a backhoe and lots of time! It used to have horses in it so it's completely clear of trees and rocks.

What would be a good track to try and build on 5-6 acres? Of course, not TOO technical because the kids are still small....but something fun that they can grow into and get better at over a couple of years.....then change it to something sweet later! ;)
Jen
I see a couple of Travis Pastrana's coming out of this!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm sure there can be something worked out too....like free trail/course riding to their instructors! ;) *cough* Hint!

Jen

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cough*Cough* Look at their back yard****:twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jen,
Tracks such as Baja and Log Road gve rider development classes all summer for kids..
I know Matt Crown (MCR) is the instructor fo rthe Baja ones..
Also, check out schools such as Tony D's and Gary Bailey..
They are well worth the money... They teach bike skills and not just how to jump...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here is a link to the track they just built this weekend...
http://midirtriders.com/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?t=1244

The pictures are kind of deceiving because the track is built into the downhill slope. The big table top is HUGE. Just a few days for it to dry out a bit and it'll be ready to ride. They plan on doing some pit bike events up there too.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Thanks for the pics and movies Cori! Looks like a lot of fun! :) I'll keep them in mind.

I checked out that Baja site and the next class is on Monday the 23rd?? That's the only one I see specifically for 50cc bikes. Take them out of school for MotoX ?? lol

I think I'll call over there tomorrow and find out what I need to do and make sure there are still spots left open.

Thanks for the link! :)

Jen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts