Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was observing some cruiser guys this evening, merrily putting around on their hogs. They looked mighty comfortable, maybe a little too comfortable, then it hit me, I think I might actually rather ride a bike that's slightly uncomfortable, then to be sooo comfortable, that my attention might be tempted to drift from the actual business of riding itself. I'm sort of a tall guy, and I'll be the first to admit riding the 7R for any extended period of time, is a bit uncomfortable, or rather, not as comfortable as, let's say, a late model VFR. I think I might consider that a good thing in many respects, for it's safe to say I never really "forget" I'm riding it, no real such thing as "leaning back and relaxing".

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this up, maybe it can offer a different perspective to someone trying out various bikes...

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Of course, being uncomfortable can be very exhausting, so you may find you'll get tired more quickly.

A work collegue has a Suzuki cruiser and he tells me that, on long rides, his back get incredibly sore. You see, on a cruiser, your a**e and spine have to absorb any bumps, whereas we can take some of that shock in our legs.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The few cruisers I've ridden did not proove to be very comfortable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Too me the most comfortable bikes are those with a bit of a sporting position with even weight distributed between your legs and butt.

Thats why I love my ZZR so much and will probably always choose a sport bike with less aggressive ergos then some sort of couch on wheels.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cookeetree said:
Of course, being uncomfortable can be very exhausting, so you may find you'll get tired more quickly.

A work collegue has a Suzuki cruiser and he tells me that, on long rides, his back get incredibly sore. You see, on a cruiser, your a**e and spine have to absorb any bumps, whereas we can take some of that shock in our legs.
True, but I'm talking something a little more subtle. Not sooo comfortable that it's conducive to "slacking off", but just enough to "remind" you you're still painting a masterpiece... so to speak...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vash said:
The few cruisers I've ridden did not proove to be very comfortable.
I've ridden some Honda/Kawi cruisers (mostly bikes from the 70's though), and they were REALLY comfortable.... While I will admit that many cruisers don't look THAT comfortable given the way they're built (particulary those OCC types where you have to bend your back and extend your arms to grip what they call a handlebar), I see a fair amount (Harley Sportster? I really don't know Harley nomenclature) that sure as heck look comfy, where the rider doesn't seem to be crammed or over extending, just sort of sitting back enjoying the ride... I see that alot with BMW bikes too, but I suppose that's not a surprise...

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
While discussing a future new bike, my wife asked why I wasn't considering cruisers. My response was that the aggressive seating position kept me focused on what's in front of me and kept my interest.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So you been riding at all or what?

You're right....the VFR is a pretty damn comfortable bike. I've never started really daydreaming on a motorcycle like I have in a car, so I don't know a cruiser would be more dangerous because of that....it's the rider's fault if that happens.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I've cought myself falling asleep on a bike. I dont think the model has much to do with it, just the miles

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
kanwisch said:
While discussing a future new bike, my wife asked why I wasn't considering cruisers. My response was that the aggressive seating position kept me focused on what's in front of me and kept my interest.
You strike me as a turbo Busa man. :D

Of the bikes I've been on, I can definitely say I prefer sportbikes to cruisers precisely because the sportbikes are more comfortable. I don't want to ride hundreds of miles with all my weight right on my ass. If I can distribute it between legs, butt, and arms I can ride a lot longer.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
spicersh said:
You strike me as a turbo Busa man. :D
But most of those don't come with one-tooth-down sprockets :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of today's Cruisers are nothing more then a Fashion Statement. Just look at the sales. If you ask me, the real outlaws are now riding Sport Bikes.:finger:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
RLinNH said:
If you ask me, the real outlaws are now riding Sport Bikes.:finger:
ROTFLMAO :thumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vash said:
I've cought myself falling asleep on a bike. I dont think the model has much to do with it, just the miles

DAMN YO!

I just have to comment on this, just HOW the F*CK can you even come CLOSE to falling asleep on a bike????? Even if you're on a straight slab doing 55mph for 4 hours, there's still wind noise, vibration, exhaust noise, your position, etc.

Do you live in an urban area where there's a lot of noise, thus your mind can block it out?

·
Registered
111 Posts
you can definetley fall asleep on a bike, first off all that u mentioned such as the wind and noise around u is pretty much filtered out by a good helmet, second of all, i mean come on, u get tired its definetley possible especially if u are oin the highway and been riding on a bike u know so well cuz i had it and daily drove it for 2 years and ur so used to being on a bike that u just get real comfortable and i can defitnely see somebody falling asleep, and on top of that i actually know more than one person that actually almost did fall asleep on their sportbike and almost crashed, one of those guys actually sold his bike after that insident and renounced riding bikes

also i agree too on the sportbike feel, it puts u more upfront and close with the road, have u ever noticed when your courhced down with ur hed low that if u raise your chin u can block out the sight of the windshiel and anything that lets u see your on a bike? its like your flying, being in a cruiser upright is like having a speedometer windshiel and steering wheel infront of you just like in a cage

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Simple really. 2am. I've been riding for the past 4-6 hours. the only breaks are for gas. Its dark, the road is strieght. I'm listening to the hum of the engine mixing with windnoise. the white striped line dissappears behind me and appears in front of me.
Stripe. Stripe. Stripe. Mile marker. 43 miles till home
The constant concentration is taking its toll. Eyelids are feeling heavy
Stripe. Stripe. Stripe
I try to break the monotony by watching the stripes dissappear behind me. I turn on a blinke so there is some light back there
Darkness... Stripe Stripe... Darkness
Eyes are starting to itch. I'll Just blink. Just close them for one second, just so they wont hurt anymore.
Darkness. I feel completely relaxed. The fatigue is washing away from me. Ok thats enough, open your eyes.
Mile marker 30 miles till home.

HOLY SHIT I RODE 10 Miles with my eyes closed !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts