Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking through my "favorites list" and saw this myspace link i had saved...this girl i was dating at the time showed me this when i got my bike, happened only a month ago or so. This guy was doing 120 on North Lake Blvd. in SoFl with no helmet on(helmet was hanging from the side of his bike).

I don't know if it will have the same affect for you guys, but i read most of the messages with the girl who showed it to me and it was well...humbling to say the least. Stay safe and wear your gear/don't be stupid...i don't want to ever have to hear about this happening to anyone.

"u and that bike were inseperable.....in the long run it separated u from all of us that loved u so much.....dont worry we will all be up there one day to have good times again like we used to...love u"

"the thing u were most proud of ended up killing u....god i wish i would have stoped u in the hall that afternoon and told u to take ur time...oh god...why...i cant even look at this picture with out feeling sick to my stomach.....god damn i hate that bike...i wish someone would have slit ur tires that day...ill never forget u...oh god why did u leave us...i be at ur funeral...i gotta stay strong though...i gotta help other people through this...but i just wish u were still there..."

"i HATE THAT BiKE!!!!!! "

·
Registered
860 Posts
Is there a reason why they can't spell out "You"?

·
Registered
892 Posts
when you spend enough time typing on the net you just tend to leave the other letters out. i do the same thing, it easier.

but just for whoever wrote that, he killed himself, not the bike. I dont mean to speak ill of the dead but sounds like he was a slow learner. its just to bad his first eye opening experience killed him.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i agree. it makes it really easy to just write off his responsibility and say it was the all the bikes fault. the bike didnt tell him to go overly fast. it just did what it was told. :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sampleofme said:
i agree. it makes it really easy to just write off his responsibility and say it was the all the bikes fault. the bike didnt tell him to go overly fast. it just did what it was told. :(
I deffinitely agree...no one likes puting responsibilities on themselves. It's kinda like the bumper sticker "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Same is true about bikes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

The guy was a dimwit if he liked to ride triple-digit speeds without full protective gear. I hope he didn't hurt any innocents on the highway as he dug his own grave. That would be the real tragedy.

As an aside, typing in so-called "internet shorthand" to shorten three-letter words to one, ignoring capitalization rules, and using digits in place of letters is childish and silly. It illustrates an inability to communicate in a comprehensible, proper, and sophisticated manner.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
108 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi All-

The guy was a dimwit if he liked to ride triple-digit speeds without full protective gear. I hope he didn't hurt any innocents on the highway as he dug his own grave. That would be the real tragedy.

As an aside, typing in so-called "internet shorthand" to shorten three-letter words to one, ignoring capitalization rules, and using digits in place of letters is childish and silly. It illustrates an inability to communicate in a comprehensible, proper, and sophisticated manner.

~ Blue Jays ~
blue jays i dont use propper grammar and i dont spell worth a hell but ive seen a few of your posts that were non-"internet shorthand" and they too failed to illustrate any of the comprehensable, proper, and sophisticated mannerisms you claim to hold so tightly. but i guess we shouldnt say anything though cause they are properly punctuated right??? i dont know...i guess i must have missed the thread that said that SBW was only for english major alumni. :twofinger ;)

as far as the rider goes...i agree. hope nobody else got hurt.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Unfortunately in being on the internet for the last few yrs my grammer, that was never to good I have to admit, & my spelling has become worse. It frightens me when I see it the next day or so in print.

Sorry for I did not mean to change the aim of this Thread. I guess I am not humbled when I hear about twits that end up being dead from how they road their m/cs & this is probably due to my 60 yrs of riding/driving experience.

True if it was a personal friend or someone I appreciated on the 'net I might feel that is a great loss to the board & whatever they typed out.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi sampleofme-

One can disagree with my viewpoints if they wish, but one will find very few people on this forum who will find my writing unclear or otherwise difficult to understand.

As far as the guy who killed himself, wingnuts like him are the reason that people call our bikes "donorcycles" and have a negative opinion of the sport. It's not the motorcycle, it's the man or woman with their hand on the throttle that determines what those two wheels do.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
108 Posts
i didnt post to insult you blue. just wanted to say that i dont think you can just write off the knowledge a person holds just because they dont use proper punctuation. case in point...smittys old ass...HA! he probably knows and has experienced more than the both of us combined but he doesnt always use correct grammar and spelling...does that mean he is childish and silly? its just not that important on a motorcycle forum. :thumb: either way im not going to argue it any farther. :twofinger

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm sorry for the guys friends and family, but not the guy that got killed. It may seem cold, but he put himself in that position and its his fault that he ended up like that. He also gives all of us, his fellow riders, a bad reputation. Alot of people refer to riders as owning suicide machines because of people like that.

On the subject of internet short hand, I use to type like that but have since lost sight of the purpose of saving two or three letters. If you type via the hunt and peck method then mabey it would be worth it, but if you can use the keyboard then its a pointless gesture. Alot of people in my generation call it 1337 (pronounced Leet, short for elite) typing and claim that only the advanced computer users do it, but I have yet to meet one person that is good with a PC that types in that incomprehencable, cryptic way. It takes more time to figure out what your typing than it would if you just typed correctly. My generation is full of lazy idiots that give all young people bad names and should grow out of it. I got past it when I was 10:finger:

Sepias

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi sampleofme-

It is a world of difference between someone who doesn't have great spelling and/or grammar abilities and someone who just wants to be silly. My problem is with people who intentionally trash the language to type in that silly codified format. That style of writing is just plain annoying...

"...When R U going 2 the store 2 go shopN 4 dresses 4 the prom? it wuld be gr8 if our fri3nds could transl8 4 their rents, 2. i hope 2 C U soon..."

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Going back to the original post...one has to wonder why this guy would even bother to carry a helmet strapped to the side of his bike if he had no desire to wear one to protect himself. Did he use it just to lure unsuspecting passengers?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi All-

Going back to the original post...one has to wonder why this guy would even bother to carry a helmet strapped to the side of his bike if he had no desire to wear one to protect himself. Did he use it just to lure unsuspecting passengers?

~ Blue Jays ~
It's a bling factor. One of the trademarks of ghost-face killaz. :p

Plus as you mentioned, it's a good way to pick up 15 year old girls or boys.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Z_Fanatic-

We're in 100% agreement. The last person to turn him down for a quick motorcycle ride is the luckiest person in Florida now. My feeling is that he was likely a high-risk rider whether an innocent passenger was aboard the pillion seat or not.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Had a very simular situation close to home.
A coworker gets a zx6 about a year ago. First bike. He rides for a few months and decides that it isnt his thing, or that he cant afford the hobby... either way the bike is for sale.
And while its sitting outside his house, all washed up pretty with for sale signs on it, his friend, without permision, grabs his keys and goes for a ride. The guy has no expirience, no liscence, no gear.
He was somewhere around 90mph, on a small residential street, when he failed... well I'm not sure what he was trying to do, but he ended up in a colvert. Paralized for life.

All this stirs a great deal of emotions among everyone who knows these people, and the concensus, somehow, comes to be that its the bikes owner fault, as well as the house owner....

In short, everyones but the person who made a mistake

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

That friend who had the motorcycle for sale likely feels horrible about the tragic accident that hurt his friend. At the same time, even in his grief, he should understand that he isn't the one who made the poor decision to swipe a set of keys and hop aboard a motorcycle he was ill-equipped to pilot. That is such sad news that could have easily been avoided with a little common sense from the guy who is now paralyzed.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm going to touch on both subjects in this thread, the threads actual focus and the hijack that's going on in it.

First of all, while anytime someone dies on a motorcycle sucks for the rest of us, and sure enough anyone who cares about them - that's the kind of response you see after any kind of accident, whether it's a single vehicle motorcycle wreck when some douche squid loses it at 180 in flip flops, shorts, and oakley's, or whether it's a drunk driver plowing into a crowd of church kids. Something other than the person always ends up getting blamed, christ, when I was 16 one of my friends of 9 years was killed by a drunk driver, and the guy actually took it upon himself to show up AT HER FUNERAL and try to explain to the family (by the way, over 400 people were there for the funeral), that while he was terribly sorry about their daughter, alcoholism is a 'disease', and so it's not really his fault. Just like the squidly mcsquiddlesons of the world who decide to go paint the interstate with themselves end up getting all the blame placed on the machine. The general population fails to realize that yes, motorcycles go faster than most cars, and offer less protection - but if you run into a brick wall at 180mph, you're pretty much dead either way, and it's still your fault whether you were on a motorcycle, in a cage, or flying a jet. Unless there was a major equipment malfunction (which I'd venture to say 99.99% of the time is NOT the cause of these accidents), the equipment had no fault other than doing what it was told from the input it was given.

Also, while you might think blue is a douche with nothing to offer, and some would probably agree (i'm not, blue - just going on a tangent here), you can't say that his posts are hard to understand, regardless of whether they have any meat or value in reading, they are always well worded, punctuated, and intelligently organized. I can't say I do the same, while I try to spell correctly, and use proper capitalization, my punctuation sucks. I use lots of commas and hypens and call it a day, that makes my sentence structure hard to read for some people, but hey - I usually get my point across. What's super annoying, I don't know how many of you have the occaision to talk to 15-16 year old girls right now, if the "u for you", "ur for your or you're", "wuz for what's", etc. wasn't bad enough. I don't know where the latest trend has come from, but they love using two lower case i's wherever one i should be, for example "omg ii went 2 the mall 2day wiith miiranda n iit wuz so phun!!" I can't help it, I always say "aye aye" when I read it, give it a shot, it freaking blows. Anyway, THAT was another tangent, the point is - it's not so much that the text conveys that the person LACKS intelligence, I know some fairly smart people who type that way, it just means they don't want to take the time to make their text intelligent, legible, and easy to understand, which is what blue jays was getting at. I don't see that he said "if you type u for you, you're mentally retarded and deserve to be exterminated for the better of mankind", don't read too much into what people say, it's an easy way to get butt-hurt and make yourself look stupid.

·
Registered
233 Posts
cmd954 said:
I'm going to touch on both subjects in this thread, the threads actual focus and the hijack that's going on in it.

First of all, while anytime someone dies on a motorcycle sucks for the rest of us, and sure enough anyone who cares about them - that's the kind of response you see after any kind of accident, whether it's a single vehicle motorcycle wreck when some douche squid loses it at 180 in flip flops, shorts, and oakley's, or whether it's a drunk driver plowing into a crowd of church kids. Something other than the person always ends up getting blamed, christ, when I was 16 one of my friends of 9 years was killed by a drunk driver, and the guy actually took it upon himself to show up AT HER FUNERAL and try to explain to the family (by the way, over 400 people were there for the funeral), that while he was terribly sorry about their daughter, alcoholism is a 'disease', and so it's not really his fault. Just like the squidly mcsquiddlesons of the world who decide to go paint the interstate with themselves end up getting all the blame placed on the machine. The general population fails to realize that yes, motorcycles go faster than most cars, and offer less protection - but if you run into a brick wall at 180mph, you're pretty much dead either way, and it's still your fault whether you were on a motorcycle, in a cage, or flying a jet. Unless there was a major equipment malfunction (which I'd venture to say 99.99% of the time is NOT the cause of these accidents), the equipment had no fault other than doing what it was told from the input it was given.
Could'nt of said it any better, when people tell me "those things are so dangerous" I always reply with, "there as dangerous as the person on top of them."

1 - 20 of 56 Posts