Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals,
I was offered to become a moderator in this forum so I thought it would be good to start with a good one :D
Here it goes...

Why do you think that Honda chose to build a V5 for the MotoGP category instead of something else?
I'm sure there are many reasons for this choice, so everybody can have an opinion on this and I think it's a good subject for discussion :)

Aris

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
To reach a compromise between theoretical hp capabilities and the differences in the weight restrictions that will be applied based on cylider configurations. Plus it should have very tuneable power delivery. :)

There, no more opinions needed... I have spoken. :D:p

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your opinion is right on spot :)

I think there are other reasons also.
- Honda wants to win with a unique design, this is important to them.
-Honda is the No 1 in designing and producing 4 stroke engines and they probably used their powers to create the new 4 stroke MotoGP category in order to be able to show their suppremacy.
-Soichiro Honda always had to win with a 4 stroke, hence the NR and it's troubled history.
-Nobody has ever built a V5 bike (as far as I know), so it seemed a good option for them.
- It reminds me of the NS500 V3 that Freddie Spencer used to become 500 champion after the NR failed to produce the goods.
- The rules dictate 145 kg min weight for both 4 and 5 cylinder machines
- They chose to do it because nobody else can do something like that.
Yamaha just enlarged the R7 engine and installed it in a modified YZR frame .

Aris :cool:
more opinions?

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Smeg,

Of course they can! They did it already. They could build a 5 cyl125 in the 60s that would rev up to 18000 rpm. Also a twin cyl 50 cc and a 6 cyl 250.
This should be easy for them.

The point is that nobody else can, only Honda!

Do you love your VFR more now? :D

Aris

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those things run exotic Titanium spark plugs that are like 20bucks each or something, so building a V6 would have been to expensive.

:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my guess is the guys in charge drive old audi's and saab sonnet iii's. they argued a lot. and the saab guys used to getting their way (vf, vfr, rc30/45) settled on a 5 cylinder, but insisted on a 'v' design because they couldn't totally give up. of course the honda engineers probably took this project over after that since i think the saab guys were in charge of tady's rc51. :)

it's a theory. not a good one, but one nevertheless. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry, you're all wrong. Try as they might, the engineers at Honda, couldn't get a star 5 engine (which, everyone knows, would yeild the ultimate in power delivery) in a workable chassis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts