Sportbike World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the market to buy an 04 Interceptor for the cross between Sport Touring and Sport, and was wondering why not many people seem to be talking about it? Is there something that is wrong with the bike that I should be warned of?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I own a 1987 700 VFR and a 1998 800 VFR. Both are excellent sport touring bikes. They are so comfortable that I easily put in several 2,500 and 3,000 mile trips on both. They are great on curvy roads and the highway. I would not consider the 98 VFR a track bike though. The 87 VFR was a race platform in its day and Rainey won the AMA Superbike championship in 1987 on one. Since the late 80's the VFR became more sport touring oreinted and was not a superbike platform.

I only had one problem which was a bad voltage regulator. This was a common VFR problem for a while. I think they fixed it on the newer models.

I bought the 700VFR in 1987 and it still works even though I neglected it by riding just the newer 800. Will never sell the 87 700 VFR. I will sell the 800 only because I bought an MV Agusta.

If you want a sport bike that can go long distance and be fun on curvy roads you can't go wrong. If you want a bike to take to the track you may want to consider something else but I doubt you will find a track bike as comfortable on a touring trip.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Aren't you a brand new rider? Trust me, I owned a '02 Blackbird, and you DO NOT want to start riding on that bike. It is insanely powerful and fast. :2cents:

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you are a new rider I would highly recommend against either the 'Bird or the VFR, for all the obvious reasons.

As to why there is not a lot of talk about VFRs, I'll try to answer (bear in mind I wouldn't trade mine in for anything so I don't buy what I am about to say!!):

*Sport touring is not as popular in the U.S. as it is in other parts of the world, particularly Europe where the VFR is extremely popular. Thus, general motorcycle websites don't get the traffic on VFRs that those dedicated to just the Viffer do.
*It is an 800, which is too much for a beginner but viewed as "under-powered" by others.
*For some reason it is considered too "vanilla" because it does everything competently: touring, track days, canyons, highways.
*Most of the 'buzz' around bikes is created by being lighter, faster and flashier. This is not what the VFR is all about, as it is considered an 'adult's sport bike'.

That being said, when you're taking a look at someone else's bike how often are they talking about their 'next bike'? That's not the case with VFR owners, they're talking about where they'll be when the odometer hits 50,000!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I looked in to one last weekend… Took it for a ride (still can’t believe the dealer let me!!!) Liked it very much. I was at the dealer getting a tire replaced. I was there the next day due to a lowside and the sales rep was all over me… Again took it out for a ride (THREE HOUR RIDE :D :burnout: Sales rep didn’t care, as far as he was concerned, they had my bike if I took off with it… ) Told the guy that I was debating between the FZ6 and the VFR and that I wasn’t going to buy until the end of the summer. He’s called me 3x per day since… Still can’t decide… Both seem comfortable and have the power and handling I want… I’m still not sold on the big ass front piece on the VFR and I like the styling of the FZ6. It might come down to price: $6500 for the FZ6 and they wouldn’t negotiate or $9995 for the VFR with the sales rep offering me $1500 off the price…

·
Registered
3 Posts
VFR as a first bike

I have to agree with the rest of the responses. A first time rider has no buisness being on a blackbird. New rider + Black Bird = trouble. As a VFR rider I can tell you that most of us are in the same boat. We tend to be older more mature riders, nothing to prove but still love the thrill of leaning into a curve. As a first bike, it will depend on what type of rider you are. You can tour all day on this baby, curve some twisties and come home safe with a smile on your face. My advice would be to get out to some local demo days and ride as many bikes as you can, then decide.
P.S. There is a reason Honda dosen't have Black Birds at their demo rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never heard anything but good things about the VFR. Probably one of the most respected bikes out there. It does everything well. My girl's dad has been in love with the things for years.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I love mine, would not part with it for anything. Very trouble free, comfortable, not the quickest in the pack I ride with, but it can keep up. When I first got it, I was actually looking at getting an R1, they had none in stock. The second I sat on this one, I was hooked. Very comfortable bike, voted best bike for a number of years in a row by all the major magazines too. You can't go wrong with the VFR.

Granted I am not too fond of the newer styling, but that is just me. :thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just bought a 2003 VFR this weekend, and should be picking it up this week. Then verbally agreed on a sale of my 97 Katana 600 to someone today.

The VFR pretty much fit exactly what I wanted: sportbike, but more comfortable than a full racing replica, little heavier for the bumps/highway, and I didn't want a 1000cc+ bike. Plus I love the styling, except for the headlight lenses being so damn big. And I'm fairly young, 28.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ride a 2004 vfr and wouldn't trade it for any bike out there. I already have 7000 miles on it (50 miles to work and back). It is a comfortable bike with a sporting postition, 100hp is plenty for even an experienced rider and the vfr is lighter than the xx. My first bike was a 1990 ZX-10, way to powerful and a bit heavy.
I almost forgot, nothing stirs the soul like a v4 growling:cool:

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Originally posted by hoopster I almost forgot, nothing stirs the soul like a v4 growling:cool:

Here here! :cheers:

·
Registered
609 Posts
So I've got mine...thing's f'n great.

Very smooth, sensation of speed is a lot less compared to the Kat, it's whisper quiet up to around 6K RPM, and when you open it up past that, barks out a nice angry growl! More than enough power than I "need"(but I'll take it). Comfortable bike too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Slaps76,
Congrats on the new vfr! I like the silver with black wheels. I don't know how many miles yours has but I noticed mine smoothed out alot after a few thousand miles. Some of that may have also been me getting used to the machine. I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the bike. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
hoopster said:
Slaps76,
Congrats on the new vfr! I like the silver with black wheels. I don't know how many miles yours has but I noticed mine smoothed out alot after a few thousand miles. Some of that may have also been me getting used to the machine. I'm sure you will not be disappointed with the bike. :D
Definitely NOT disappointed!

It's got 5K miles on it, not bad. Previous owner was a nut over maintenance, took it on long road trips, did 5 oil changes, and said he broke it in properly.

Only thing I think I have to get used to, is really just power and less sensation of speed over the Kat. It's signficantly quicker and quieter.

Thanks on the congrats!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been bitten by the VFR bug latley;) I got to ride one, granted for only a couple of blocks, but I like the comfort factor SOOO much more over my 929. I still am looking at possible a new Triumph Sprint ST1050, but we shall see. I haven't ridden the new Trumpet yet, but the reviews so far have been pretty kick ass! But then again I am a Honda faithful......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
interceptor

The VFR is an awsome sport tourer. I own a 2002 with the optional bags. I can squeeze almost 48 miles to a gallon of fuel.
I put a Sargent seat on it for a bit more comfort and also installed Heli bars. I own 5 Honda's. You can't beat Honda's reliability.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dookie said:
I spoke with a dealer and they said they would cut me a GREAT deal on an 03 Blackbird. Should I get this over the VFR? Remember I'm 6'4"!;)
Its a dealer wanting to make a sell..the VFR is much better machine and i can honestly say you should buy a 500cc bike to start out on if its your first bike.. Be smart start small and get some experience....I have been riding since i was 4 and my first street bike when i was 18 was a suzuki GT500 2stroke..

If you decide to get a bike get the VFR .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later