Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Why is point "a" taller than point "b"?

This is a Michelin Macadam and comes stock on a 98-00 Katana. I have heard of few people complain about this same tire doing the same thing. Whats the deal? Bad tires? alignment? Its been to the dealer for chain tightning and service. No wobble on deceleration like you would have if the rear was not in line with the front.....Whats up? why is this thing scaling like a fish?

------------------
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
http://troybaker.com/600

·
Registered
582 Posts
What tir pressure are running???Are you using what's posted on the sidewall, or what's in the owner's manual???Jimmy G

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm assuming your tire is cupping (edges are higher in some places than others)?

i don't why, but it's fairly normal on bikes.

my f2 did it worse with some tires than others. dunlops are about the worse for this.

i saw a prestine, never down 916 cupping michelins real bad. i don't know. but i wouldn't worry.

my fzr does it really bad.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

·
Registered
987 Posts
Either excessive free play in the steering head bearings or an imbalance in the oil level or suspension settings between the front fork tubes.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I haven't seen a single sportbike on the street that doesn't do what Tony is talking about, to some degree(all tire brands too). All of mine have. I think and have been told that it has a lot to do with pushing the front through turns. The bikes I'm talking about are all ridden primarily in very curvy mountains. The RC 51 is not as bad as the VFR was but it does do it.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I agree with the natives, I would like to
submit one additional vote for low tire
pressure.

Chris

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I also agree with Chris and jimmyjr.

Air pressures need to be watched carefully. Proper pressure does slow down this process. I also learned that the hard way on the VFR. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Every front tire I've had on my VTR has cupped at some point. The stock 204 and the Macadam 90x were the worst, BT56SS and 207's have resisted it best.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem you are suffering from is due to the steering rake of our modern sport bikes and that tyre is particularly prone to this problem due to its excessive tread pattern try a Pilot sport and it wont happen as much or as fast or try putting a few pounds more than it calls for on the side wall as this will force the tyre to stay more round

------------------
If you are not on a gixxer what are you waiting for??

·
Registered
517 Posts
After reading your post, I checked my F3 with 7k on it. It is doing similar to the BT56 that is on there, but not nearly as bad.

With autocross background, tire pressure is something I am always on top of, and it is NEVER more than a pound down before I reinflate. Being a rookie, I haven't experimented with higher than suggested pressure at all.

Also, being a new rider, I haven't pushed it that hard in corners (I don't think), yet it still has some of what yours does.

If it is really bad, get new tire and keep up on the tire pressure.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
generally speaking higher pressures=less contact patch=slippery tire.

i use close to 30lbs/tire (but that's me).`

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts