Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
It's not. (Or at least I don't consider it one).

It seems Katanas get a bad rap because they are a lower end sportbike.

But the way I look at it, as long as you are on two wheels and having fun, that's all that matters. :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
it's a great bike. it's just not built to be a cream of the crop sportbike. if you look at it for what it is, a cheap sport-tourer, it's an EXCELLENT bike. there may not be a better middle-weight sport-tourer made. there may not be another one made period... (if you consider the yzf600 a sport-tourer, it may be better, i don't have enough highway miles to make a pick on that)

i think it also gets a bad rap because it's viewed as a beginner's bike. a role it can fill, but not one truly excels in. there are much better beginner bikes (hell, suzuki makes a lot of them). i think the new bodywork helps to define its true mission. good wind protection and suzuki finally uses mature graphics (unlike the crap they used 10 years ago on the katana's and gsx-r's).

·
Registered
518 Posts
toss a squid on a bike....viola...its a squid bike. there aren't any "squid bikes" , just squids.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would have to say the a Katana is the Anti-squid bike.

Seems like most squids have to have a top of the line repli-racer and have very little skills to ride with. Around here, it seems like the R6 is the weapon of choice for squids.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Believe it also obtained that name as it went over so well by the Hollywood people, when in actual fact it is a one up from a Bandit & most of us ALSO look upon a Bandit as being a good 4 pot for a beginner, so the Katana fits in there as the easy bike to ride in the fairing group.
Mind you Bandit riders will argue on this one for the big point about a Bandit is that we have as 'skelton' four & so no plastic to worry about.
I am sure there are members on this Site & other that highly back the Bandit or the Katana & I have never had anything against them.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
goodyGracious said:
I was looking on cycletrader.com and early 90 katana's looked alot like early 90 gixxers to me. I was wondering if anyone could post the differences between the two.

- James
off the top of my head, smaller bore and shorter stroke for the 600, i believe 750's are the same as an 85(6)-87 750 (just different pistons, cams and carbs). the frames are different. suspension and wheels are very different (brakes too). the bodywork is different. the clip-ons and rear-sets are reasonable (early 90's gsx-r's were pretty radical).

i guess there's a lot of differences between them....

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Katana bikes are basically an older designed air-oil cooled from the days of the GSXR bikes. Actually a fantastic powerplant (up untill '91 GSXR were air/oil cooled), but dropped into a frame, forks, brakes, fairing & such for the Katana production & I am pretty sure it has slightly smaller carbs to help the bike in a superior mid-range to the prior GSXR. They will really trott & in so many movies they would use them as an up to date sportbike so some people gave the bike the thumbs down, for that reason only.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A few chaps have purchased '02 Katana bikes & no doubt about it, these are attractive bikes & no downfall on suspension or power plus having a saddle one can appreciate.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lame

The first few comments were amusing but that last guys definitions of "Squid" was so long winded I never made it through half of what he said, and not too much of it was amusing. I wouldn't doubt the guy that wrote it spends more time thinking about riding then actually riding, and although I hate the yellow Katana, they're a nice bike. Just because they are not the cutting edge of lightness and horse power doesn't mean they are not a great bike. I am sure over time a GSXR will have more maintenance expense then the same size Katana.

·
Registered
429 Posts
a couple of friends of mine have had katanas, the only problem they had was if we took our bikes cruising town or something, after a few laps they would heat up because they arent water cooled i guess, other than that they dont seem that bad, a couple of times i've seen good riders on katanas smoke a ninja and a r6's ass. though i must say later on down the road this same katana rider crashed because his pipe scraped the ground too hard and picked his bike up. so as far as handling they cant be that bad if you can ride, just not enough clearance.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The Suzy GSXR-750 of '92 & earler were oil air cooled & having a '91 till '00 I never found it heating up in town or on the hwy. More chance of it heating up due to higher compression ration, large carbs, & different cams all for power. Anyway my outlook on Katana is still they are a good bike for the money.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
my friend's gsxr did shut off in laconia from the hours of non-moving traffic, that's the only one i know of over-heating. smitty, does the katana have the oil jets under the pistons like the gsx-r's. i'm not sure when suzuki started doing that.

anyway, katana's are a great bike. i rather ride a katana 1100 across country than just about any sportbike out there. that was a kick ass bike.

i think people who rag on you because your bike isn't the latest and greatest, usually have some other shortcomings. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Katanas and Bandits are not super-sport bikes. They aren't built for that kind of ride. They are sport tourers and darn good at it. They are comfortable for long rides and quick enough for some good carving. They are also forgiving, which make them good bikes for people who insist on starting with at least a 600 as their first bike (like I did).

I've just over 12,000 miles on my Bandit. It's my first bike ever. I'm ready for something more suited my preferred riding style (I caught the track day bug!) both on the track and the street. But I've learned lots because of it. And it has forgiven my stupidity more than once. I think I will be better able to handle a lighter, quicker bike because of what I have learned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
don't know about that...

Hi everybody.. can't wati till this darn snow melts!
about the Kat being a "squid" bike.. I don't know about that..
it's a decent weight so you can get comfrtable while riding, yes, not as fast as the bigger bikes.. don't know about that..
I have 2 buddies I ride with, one a Kat' 750 he's had it as his first bike, and it's weighty, so he's getting the feel for riding, he rides sensibly and is a joy to ride with (I had to wait for him a few times.. but I've been riding for about 5 years now.. so I have a lot more riding experience)..
the other has a like 20 year old Kat, been bored out a few times so I think it's like 1150 now.. and I dont' care what you're ridingin this guy will put you all to shame.. one of the best street riders I have ever ridden with.
I think the bottom line was best summed up by another member, if you are a squid, you are a squid, nothing about your bike..

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Tony I cannot answer that one about the oiling of the Katana. While I have riden two of them & liked them I have never dove into that deep to see how everything is set up, other then to know they are older designs of the GSXR bikes & detuned. VERY impressive in how they pull so well from a stop sign as they have torque at those lower revs that are SO important to a new rider PLUS being with a comfortable riding position compared to so many modern sportbikes ----- probably my '97 Yamaha YZF600r is somewhat similiar in riding position.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts