Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
gots_no_bike said:
beautiful? they have to be the best looking bikes i've seen. all of you who have them are lucky and privlieged.
Now there's a SMART man:D

NOT only are they beautiful, They are powerful and have great handling so it's not all looks :)

Only problem I found is half of the owners never really ride them like they are suppose too:rolleyes:

Why buy one then? Just to say you have one?

·
Registered
36 Posts
that is soo true. but i just happen to ran into a rider whose duc is all scratched up and dirty. i was shocked to see that it was a 998 testastretta!!!!!! even more suprising is that he got it 2 weeks ago and already 800 miles! said that he's been to the track twice! now theres sumbody who really appreciates his duck :D
now im curisous about some duc terms :confused:
what is a testastretta? or desmodromic? or desmoquattro? or desmodue? or that logo DUCATI CORSE? im askin coz i think my next ride will be the monster 600 ie:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
now im curisous about some duc terms
what is a testastretta? or desmodromic? or desmoquattro? or desmodue? or that logo DUCATI CORSE? im askin coz i think my next ride will be the monster 600 ie
The answers to all your questions are on the Ducati website somewhere within the 'tech' section. How do I know? Because I'm new to this Ducati stuff and had the very same questions myself. I'd answer them for you, but I think the Ducati website would do a better job of explaining than I'm capable of.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml

Happy Reading!

BK

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
gots_no_bike said:
beautiful? they have to be the best looking bikes i've seen. all of you who have them are lucky and privlieged.
Look for a 1992 to 2002 900SS with low mileage and a maintenance record at a reputable dealer. Many people buy them and add all of the goodies and them sell them because they are too fast or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
gots_no_bike said:
Ah, behold, the Curse that IS Ducati. I'm the same way. I wasn't too fond of them until I saw and heard one up close. From then on out, that is my "if I ever win the lottery" scenario.

However, eventually, I foresee myself on one. I lOVE the 748 R(?)...the grey with red rims. I don't know if their legal here (?), but I love the looks of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: Re: why in the hell are ducatis soooo.....

Knight of Ni said:

However, eventually, I foresee myself on one. I lOVE the 748 R(?)...the grey with red rims. I don't know if their legal here (?), but I love the looks of it.
That's not the R that's the 2002 748 S model... And yes you can get one at your local dealer :) Even an R if you want but the R is only in Yellow for the 748.

Someday :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: Re: why in the hell are ducatis soooo.....

Knight of Ni said:

Ah, behold, the Curse that IS Ducati. I'm the same way. I wasn't too fond of them until I saw and heard one up close. From then on out, that is my "if I ever win the lottery" scenario.

The R is not legal anywhere. It comes with a few more goodies that the S but has no lights. It is meant to be raced only. I love the R, too.

For some daydreaming material, check out www.proitalia.com

·
Registered
379 Posts
Say.......what's good price to be expected for a 748S? I think somewhere I read they are around 13-14K (not sure though)......Do dealers usually come off of the price?

and finally............(as always in Ducati threads), how's the maintenence on 'em? Frequency, $$$, that type of stuff.

BTW, now I'm in a "Ducati Mood"...........:mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Knight of Ni said:
Say.......what's good price to be expected for a 748S? I think somewhere I read they are around 13-14K (not sure though)......Do dealers usually come off of the price?

and finally............(as always in Ducati threads), how's the maintenence on 'em? Frequency, $$$, that type of stuff.

BTW, now I'm in a "Ducati Mood"...........:mad:
Ducati dealerships will cut you a deal on their bikes unlike Jap dealers who sell them left and right...Example 2001 996 for $17,400 got it out the door for TTL $16,200 :)

Maintenance $450 every 6K - you should be able to do your own oil changes - Really easy...

Now go bust open your piggy bank and head on over to your local ducati dealership :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Csilva said:

Ducati dealerships will cut you a deal on their bikes unlike Jap dealers who sell them left and right...Example 2001 996 for $17,400 got it out the door for TTL $16,200 :)

Maintenance $450 every 6K - you should be able to do your own oil changes - Really easy...

Now go bust open your piggy bank and head on over to your local ducati dealership :)
In the grand scheme of things, I think the price of the 748 isn't that bad (convincing myself:D ) Especially if you have a bike that is paid off, and sell it for, say , $4k - $5k. Then you could get a beautiful bike for around 10k or so. Not too bad. I would rather drop $10k on a Duc, than a R1, 954, or any other liter bike.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Are there any twisties in KS??? My great-grandparents lived near Dodge City and when I was a kid, my grandparents would take me to visit them. All I remember was..........NO MOUNTAINS!!!!!! no hills, just flat land as far as the eye could see.

If there is a Ducati dealership in KS I'd think they wouldn't sell very many.

Please don't laugh. I am totally ignorant about Kansas, so please educate me. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
HA!

I'm originally 'from' Kansas. My family moved to Oakley when I was in fourth grade, and I graduated from High School there back in 1992. The Marine Corps took me around the world for six years, then I returned to Kansas to attend Kansas State University in 1998 and graduated in 2000.

It's no secret that there are no mountains in KS. Any good riding is to be found in the central/eastern portion of the state. I doubt I put more than 100 miles on either of my bikes when I was in college there, because there was nowhere fun to ride! Sure, there were a bunch of poser kids with Ninjas and stuff like that who thought they were hot stuff, but none of them had even so much as scuffed the outer 40% of the tread on their tires.

Kansas is not much of a state to own a motorcycle in, if you ask me. The riding season is not all that long, and weather can be a real bitch.

BK

·
Registered
591 Posts
desmo079 said:
Please don't laugh. I am totally ignorant about Kansas, so please educate me. :)
Well all I know 'bout Kansas is they have some pretty simple, neat survival kits. To the untrained eye, it probably looks like a brick. When I asked the owner 'zactly how this 'survival kit' worked, he sez "first, you set it firmly on the ground, then you stand on top of it and look for help!"

I don't get it....:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
desmo079 said:
Are there any twisties in KS??? My great-grandparents lived near Dodge City and when I was a kid, my grandparents would take me to visit them. All I remember was..........NO MOUNTAINS!!!!!! no hills, just flat land as far as the eye could see.

If there is a Ducati dealership in KS I'd think they wouldn't sell very many.

True, in Western Kansas you can see the curvature of the earth, but in Kansas Ciy / Kansas Ciy Missouri you can find a few twisties. But the real fun begins down towards the Ozarks of southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. All of which are a mere tank (and a little more) away. Most groups around here organize rides to Arkansas, St. Louis, Kentucky, etc;' hitting all the good roads in between.

For me, I am about 15 minutes from my favorite 45MPH (Posted) 10 mile stretch of twisties...good by me!

Desmo,
I only know of two places here in KC that sell Ducs...one is a pretty big dealer that has everything, and the other is a house. NO kidding, a house with about 5 Ducs, and about 5 Aprillia's. YOu would never know by looking at it......because it looks like a house!! So, needless to say, Ducs are few and far between around here. More the reason to want one!:D

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought my bike in Jan of this year when the average temp was 28 degrees; but already I have 3K + on 'er. I guess it's because I basically rode every day in the cold as long as it wasn't snowing. The riding season typically goes from (in my book) March - October.

Cold? hell, just bundle up and realize the tires aren't as sticky on the cold pavement:D

I wish I lived in Kentucky, the Carolinas etc......more twisties readily available and the cops would have too many roads to cover. Whereas here, they pretty much know what roads are going to be filled with sportbikes on a weekend. Oh well.

More the reason to get a great handling Duc than a fast top speed R1.;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Knight of Ni said:

True, in Western Kansas you can see the curvature of the earth, but in Kansas Ciy / Kansas Ciy Missouri you can find a few twisties. But the real fun begins down towards the Ozarks of southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas. All of which are a mere tank (and a little more) away. Most groups around here organize rides to Arkansas, St. Louis, Kentucky, etc;' hitting all the good roads in between.

For me, I am about 15 minutes from my favorite 45MPH (Posted) 10 mile stretch of twisties...good by me!

Desmo,
I only know of two places here in KC that sell Ducs...one is a pretty big dealer that has everything, and the other is a house. NO kidding, a house with about 5 Ducs, and about 5 Aprillia's. YOu would never know by looking at it......because it looks like a house!! So, needless to say, Ducs are few and far between around here. More the reason to want one!:D
COOL!! Two Ducati dealers are all you need. Work one against the other.

Check it out, but I bet the place to get your Duck serviced would be the "House" dealership. It has been my experience that the HON/YAM/KAW/SUZ/DUCATI dealerships don't know squat bout properly servicing a Ducati. I amy be wrong. If you can find some local Ducati riders, ask around.

Let us know what color your 748 turns out to be.;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts