Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does my bike have to be a classic? To many people make fun of my bike cause it is so old. If i had the money i would get a newer bike, but i'm just a poor college kid. maybe if i was an old fart like most of you riding on it ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Do you like your bike? Do you enjoy riding it? Do you like the way it looks? If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, then my advice to you is.........Fuck what people think. You dont have to have the newest fastest motorcycle to enjoy riding. If your on a "classic" or a repli racer all that counts is that your on two wheels and enjoying it!:2cents:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah man, for awhile I was bummed about my bike being 'old' and a 'classic'... then I was able to take a ride on some other bikes: an F4i, 2002 R1, etc. Upon doing that, I realized that I really ENJOYED my bike, the way it felt, and the way it rode. Now, I'm still a poor college student riding an old bike, and I still get questions from people about when I'm "trading it in" or "moving up". By this point, between the resale value of my bike, and the investment I've made into it for maintenance and upgrades, I could've afforded at least a sizable downpayment on a repli-racer, or the purchase of an SV650s.

I have no interest in selling this bike, I plan to purchase more as funds become available, and I plan on owning them in addition to this one. That's pretty damn hard to explain to people when they ask when you're getting a 'new' bike. The reality I've come to discover is that people who are concerned with what bike you own or ride, are typically the people with their heads buried so far up their asses that they can't distinguish motorcycling from it's new, pop-culture representation. Never be down on your bike if you enjoy riding it; riding it is what the sport is about.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The best thing about riding an older bike is emberassing riders on newer machines that cant keep up with you!

·
Registered
116 Posts
At least you have a bike. I just got a 2005 R6. Before that, I was riding a 1992 FZR600. People used to give me shit because my bike was old. It only made me laugh to hear these idiots trying to give someone shit about their bike when they don't even own one.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Originally posted by Speedboy3 The reality I've come to discover is that people who are concerned with what bike you own or ride, are typically the people with their heads buried so far up their asses that they can't distinguish motorcycling from it's new, pop-culture representation. Never be down on your bike if you enjoy riding it; riding it is what the sport is about.
Touche.

Having good financial sense and not being dependent on mommy and daddy (or gramma and granpa) is far more mature. You'll learn more than they will in a shorter period. Mechanics is just one aspect. Appreciation for advances is another.

:2cents:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its more more than a year since i've started this thread. I still have the bike, and she still runs just as great as before. She will stand straight up in first and second gear under power. I dont feel as bad about riding a classic now as I used to.

·
Registered
860 Posts
kanwisch said:
. Mechanics is just one aspect. Appreciation for advances is another.

You say that like it's a good thing. Damn leaky rocker boxes...:crying:

·
Registered
352 Posts
my daily ride is 35 years old, my dirtbike is 25 years old and im 20, my friend who is 18 owns a 78 cb750, vintage bikes are the shit! and if you cant appreciate that, then........i pity you

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have three bikes a 79 yamaha triple, 82 Yamaha Maxim and my 84 v65 Magna.
I Love older bikes people have gotten so used to seeing bike that look like Harley or a sport bike all in plastic it is neat to have something different.

·
Registered
164 Posts
he who has the most fun wins. riding buddy with kids in college collected, bought, sold, castoffs. gave him a chance to ride and enjoy a lot of bikes. bought 2 85 ninja 900's blown gearbox/blown motor, spareparts motors $800. spent $800 (include paint job for rider). sold one $1500. rode other 40,000 miles and gave to son (went 40,000 more,died of neglect). 89 kaw zx7 salvage title repair/sold, too valuable. crashed vx800, rode like bmw. and ass't tx500, xs400's, 80 katana 550, visions, ascots, 1 and 2, hawk 650, 75 xl250,83 seca 900, 80 gs450s bought new, sold 45,000 miles. a lot of enjoyment there. i know i missed a couple. not in owmership order. he had fun. never missed a tour or sport ride.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Those that rag on others for having an old bike only are interested in bikes for the image. I'd rather own an old bike than make payments on a new one, if I lose my source of income I don't have to worry about anyone coming to take my bike away and on top of that all the money that would have gone to making payments can be used for all things bike related or not.

The only time I'd ever rag on someone with an old bike is when they spend so much on upkeep and repairs monthly that they basically spend a bike payment every month on an old bike--people in that situation really should get a new bike.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had an 82 Maxim too

just another random thought not connected to anything in particular in this thread

I remember when the CB750 changed the world...

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
hey man, i was pimpin a 97 F3 600 for a season. fun little bike she was.
That's nothing. My first season was on a '92 F2 600. You know, the one that's got pink decals?

Still, anytime somebody would give me grief about it, it never bothered me. I always said "hey, it's a bike, and it's fun."

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had a 1972 Honda XL350 with a bent frame and a big dent in the tank and the long low exhaust that went along the bottom of the frame (really old fashioned) but it was a torque monster, I had a guy want to trade me his 1976 Honda MT250 Elsinore 2 stroke for it and it was alot cooler than my bike. He took my bike down the dirt road for a test ride and he comes back walkin and all bloody and covered in dirt and little rocks, he ate it bad somwhere down the road, He walks up and says "I guess we traded" LMAO :laughing:

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's nothing. My first season was on a '92 F2 600. You know, the one that's got pink decals?

Still, anytime somebody would give me grief about it, it never bothered me. I always said "hey, it's a bike, and it's fun."

yea, yea 600's are slow and gay, wtf, snotty sportbikers, thats not even an old bike,

psssshh!!!!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
yeah but it was pink

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Im not sayin the pink is what attracted you to that bike, lots of people have pink bikes, and you were young , coulda happened to anybody ....

you still got it dont ya :D;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts