Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got nothing against the R6, and actually like the bike. But Reading the Yamaha brochure on their sportbikes, I am puzzled. The R1 has dimensions of 80.1 X 27.4 X 43.5. The R6 has dimensions of 81 X 27.6 X 44.2. Virtually no difference. The R1 has a seat hight of 32" and the R6 has a seat hight of 32.8". Again, no difference. The R1 has a wheel base of 54.9" and the R6 has a wheelbase of 54.4 inches. Can .5" make much of a difference in handling? The Minimum ground clearance is 5.5" on the R1, whereas the minimum ground clearance on the R6 is 5.4". The R1 holds 4.5 gallons as does the R6. The R1 has a claimed weight of 382 whereas the R6 has a claimed weight of 365. Is 17 lbs. that substantial?

What I'm getting at, is why go with a 600cc when you can get a virtually identical bike with much more power? Obviously there is the cost factor, but is there something I'm missing in the comparison?

Your input is appreciated

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For me:
I like my R6. It has sufficient power and great handling. I would feel uncomfortable with all of the extra power the R1 has. I don't know about everyone else but I like to hit the gas coming out of a turn and not really run the risk of flipping the bike over (a little exagerated). For someone my height and weight the 600's are perfect.

The R1 was redone to step up the handling ability to closer match the R6. The same issue comes up with having too much power. It's like having a V8 engine inside a Geo Metro. For me it is too much.

You have to give more attention to the performance of the bikes and not focus so much on the specs. Having an R6 is not going to make you the slow guy in a group. In fact, I have yet to see an R1 keep with my R6 in the twisties (One did, but the guy was a racer and I was on his tire).

·
Registered
714 Posts
One of the bike mags here did a feature last year where they raced a R6 against a R1 round a race circuit with different riders on board. The 6 was able to lap faster than the 1 nearly always. The general opinion was that the smaller bike was more manageable and didn't intimidate the riders so much.

You pay your money, you take your choice.;)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Rio said:
What I'm getting at, is why go with a 600cc when you can get a virtually identical bike with much more power? Obviously there is the cost factor, but is there something I'm missing in the comparison?

Your input is appreciated
First of all, the R1 is one of the most powerful bikes out there, and not everyone is able to handle them.

Second of all, not everyone WANTS to have the biggest/baddest/fastest bike out there. Most non-liter bike owners are quite happy on their 250's, 500's, 600's, 650's, 748's, 750's, 800's, 900's etc. Chances are good that the average yeahoo squid R1 owner you meet has never ridden the bike to it's fullest potential. The average yeahoo squid R6 owner has probably gotten a lot closer. (notice I said "average yeahoo squid owner", please don't flame me!)

Third, cost is a factor. The R6 costs less to buy and insure.

Here's a comparison: Why buy Porsche when you can buy a Viper? Not everyone wants a V-10, not everyone wants a viper, not everyone thinks that more power is always a good thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Re: Why choose an R6?

elodello said:

First of all, the R1 is one of the most powerful bikes out there, and not everyone is able to handle them.

Second of all, not everyone WANTS to have the biggest/baddest/fastest bike out there. Most non-liter bike owners are quite happy on their 250's, 500's, 600's, 650's, 748's, 750's, 800's, 900's etc. Chances are good that the average yeahoo squid R1 owner you meet has never ridden the bike to it's fullest potential. The average yeahoo squid R6 owner has probably gotten a lot closer. (notice I said "average yeahoo squid owner", please don't flame me!)

Third, cost is a factor. The R6 costs less to buy and insure.

Here's a comparison: Why buy Porsche when you can buy a Viper? Not everyone wants a V-10, not everyone wants a viper, not everyone thinks that more power is always a good thing.
R6 is a wicked machine...tough to beat today's 600 class machines for performance...I find the power available in alot of the litre class machines is unuseable in alot of street riding applications (this means for the average rider). Take a good rider on an R6/ZX6/CBR 600 and they will give a rider on a litre class machine fits in the twisties...for others, the full power available on the open class bikes is important (for fat guys like me, or riders going two up, or ego maniacs who like the tire eating power available at their right wrist).

My thought on the initial question, it's price and performance that makes the decision for most people...although, for some it is also nice to have the 130+ HP underneath them...just a preference thing I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. All of the posts made sense. I've not ridden a 600cc street bike so I cannot make the comparison.

Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Recently, they've added fuel injection to the R1. Is this worth waiting for in the R6? Or is the R6 better without the fuel injection? Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Rio said:
Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?
An R1 and an R6? :confused: One of these days I'm going to know what it's like to have money to burn...or maybe not! :crying:
All seriousness aside, I'm having a little trouble seeing why you'd want both? Iff'n it was me (and it isn't), I'd either:
A. Keep the R1 since you already have it, and make your second bike something you can do a bit of travelling on comfortably. The degree to which you'd rather tilt the sport/touring equation depends on you: do you want to lean to the sport side/touring side/equal mix? Buying an R6 because it'll be better in the curves on the street probably means you're riding that sucker way too hard in public. If you're pushing both enough to really tell the difference on public roads (on a regular basis), your time is coming. The question is not if, but when!
B. Get the R6, since all other things being equal, ya can't argue with physics (less weight is good)! Sell/trade the R1 for a sport-tourer and re-read A from sentence 2!

Hey, if you're just a diehard sportbike-only fan, ignore all of the above. It would be shame to limit yourself to just one type of bike, especially since you seem to have no problem with owning 2. There are a lot of nice roads a bit too far away for a pure sportbike to comfortably enjoy, and sooner or later you may end up with a passenger, so it's a shame to limit your options. After riding around the same roads for what seemed to be 'bout the millioneth time with my original sportbike buddies, I wanted to check out new roads and see a bit of the world from the saddle of my bike. I'm still riding...none of the 'original' gang is...
Mebbe you should check out Motorcyclist Magazine’s January 2002 issue-Sport Tourers vs. Sportbikes?

Just something to think about...:D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Rio said:
Thanks. All of the posts made sense. I've not ridden a 600cc street bike so I cannot make the comparison.

Though that does bring me to another question. I've been thinking about a smaller bike specifically for the twisties in addition to the R1. Recently, they've added fuel injection to the R1. Is this worth waiting for in the R6? Or is the R6 better without the fuel injection? Or would I be better off with another brand such as Honda or Suzuki?
Next year the R6's might come with FI and will have styling like the R1.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing the other day. I was reading the specs on the new 954 and when i got to the weight I just couldn't believe it! It said the 954 dry was 370lb. (the exact weight of my 600) So is my F4i still better through the twisties or is the 954 going to have the best of both worlds? It has a sick amount of power and looks like it will be able to corner as well as a 600. Am I missing something here? What really makes a bike quicker through the turns? Besides the rider that is. (try not to get too technical, I don't want a science lesson please:) ) Thank you,
Dave:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree..

with all the replies here. I bought a TL1000R because at the time it was the "most powerful" V-Twin on the market. I spent a lot of money on getting the suspension dialed in but I still felt like something was missing. It might have been skill on my part that was missing but now I have a 748 and I am much quicker in the twisties than I was on the TLR. One, because the suspension on the 748 rocks! Two, because I can use more of the 748's power without getting wheel-spin when exiting the curves. I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn to use a R1's power for the type of riding I like to do.

If it were me, I would go with the R6 and then if I felt like I had learned all I could on it and put all of it's power to use, then I might move up to the R1.

·
Registered
180 Posts
fotobw said:
Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing the other day. I was reading the specs on the new 954 and when i got to the weight I just couldn't believe it! It said the 954 dry was 370lb. (the exact weight of my 600) So is my F4i still better through the twisties or is the 954 going to have the best of both worlds? It has a sick amount of power and looks like it will be able to corner as well as a 600. Am I missing something here? What really makes a bike quicker through the turns? Besides the rider that is. (try not to get too technical, I don't want a science lesson please:) ) Thank you,
Dave:cool:
Simple formula for quickness in the twisties:

Experience + Sack/Stones/Kahones - Commonsense = Quickness in Twisties

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tsisson said:

Simple formula for quickness in the twisties:

Experience + Sack/Stones/Kahones - Commonsense = Quickness in Twisties
LOL!!!

Actually, one thing I hadn't thought about before, is that the R6 and other 600cc bikes are probably geared differently than the R1 is....possibly resulting in quicker acceleration, but a lower top speed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
R6

I like what i'm readin.
I must admit, i have dusted a few 1000's, 900's, 750's, and most if not every 600 except another R6 on a 99'R6. They do have alot of power up to atleast 14-15 grand then they just kinda make noise. But, not knokin other bikes cuzz i konw in the straight i'm done but get me in some twizzlers(twistys) and your done (most tha time):twofinger :eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: R6

swoop said:
I like what i'm readin.
I must admit, i have dusted a few 1000's, 900's, 750's, and most if not every 600 except another R6 on a 99'R6. They do have alot of power up to atleast 14-15 grand then they just kinda make noise. But, not knokin other bikes cuzz i konw in the straight i'm done but get me in some twizzlers(twistys) and your done (most tha time):twofinger :eek:
Yeah, I was riding Friday night with my buddy on his ZX-7R and he was yelling at me atthe light for the on ramp. He says, "Alright, I want to go first because I want to carve this on ramp!" So here I am thinking, 100+ MPH :D YEAH YEAH! So I jokingly said, "If you can get by me, I'll let you Carve the ramp ;)" Just to give everyone and idea, it's only 2 turns, and they could be taken at about 120, but you just can't get up that fast in the short distance through the light.

So when I said that, he told me how he thought I was #1:finger: and then the light changed LOL. So I let him go first, I was on his tail by about 10 ft. It took every ounce of whatever I had to keep from passing him on the outside in the first corner! LMAO So anyway, he gets up to uh about 75 I think, we were going slow slow I almost got off and pushed him LMAO

So then next off ramp, we take to go to this club is a tight up hill right and then a long sweeping left. I usually can get the first corner at 85 to 90 when I'm feeling ball-ish. But the Sweeping left, I've done that at 110 before and almost drag knee everytime LOL. So I pulled up next to him, honked and did then hand motion for: YOU, WATCH, ME! :D So I honked again, shot him the finger and disappeared LMAO I looked back when I came off the off ramp, which is an interchange to another HWY, and I didn't see him at all. My first thought, was OMG, he tried to keep up, then I remember, KAWASAKI'S ARE SLOW! LMAO

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: R6

minfinger said:
[
KAWASAKI'S ARE SLOW! LMAO [/B]
Yeah, sounds like the gixxer600 & R6 I
passed in the National Forest twisties a week ago
Sunday, & then completely stopped twice & waited
to let them catch up to me....yeah, Kawasaki's
are slow....:D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: Re: R6

minfinger said:
...he tried to keep up, then I remember, KAWASAKI'S ARE SLOW! LMAO
Yeah...matter of fact, I think it says in both my Kawasaki owner's manuals never to exceed the speed limit :eek:
Once I did, but it was downhill with a tailwind: still feel bad about that! :crying:
Still thinking about turning myself in for that one... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Re: Re: Re: R6

Cam McFarland said:

I didn't know Pete drove an R6?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: R6

KLRAdam said:

I didn't know Pete drove an R6?
LOL

Not this time, this was a couple of squidly
types with 1 piece leathers with the speed
hump thingy......

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Re: Re: R6

Cam McFarland said:

Your Story:
900cc vs. 600cc

Mine
600cc vs. 600cc
Plus I don't think he rides as good as I do. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I graduate College and they made me take math class, YOU DO THE MATH TOO!

Your Story = BAD MATH! LMAO

Oh and does it really mean you're squid if you have a 1 piece suit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts