Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi robert,

this is just a suggestion from a guy who doesn't know anything about running a web page or if this is possible.

is there some how when we log on there can be a viewable list of who's on-line at that time for everyone to see?? this way everyone can see if there is someone that can answer a question quickly!
i have wondered from time to time weither i should wait for a reply or go out, to bed, go get a movie, you get the point.
i think yahoo does something along these lines.

thanks for the time :D

ps - i love my F4, can't wait to hit 1000kms

------------------
Nick
'00 F4 - red/blk
'89 Ninja 600
Officer, the speed limit can't be 60mph, I was doing atleast 110!

G

·
ICQ works well, infact maybe we should add it to the profile or that new profile page Robert might make up. IRC works too. Go to the chat forum for all the details. I'm usually the only one in there but I idle most of the time anyway.

------------------

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Head Squid! I just noticed that Fred over at Sportbikes.net has got something setup on his Web page which shows you who's on-line. On the bottom of the Forum page it shows what users are currently online, probably what MEHLMAN is talking about. Maybe you can incorporate it into this site? Give him a buzz about it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by YZF600 (edited April 19, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YZF600:
Hey Head Squid! I just noticed that Fred over at Sportbikes.net has got something setup on his Web page which shows you who's on-line. On the bottom of the Forum page it shows what users are currently online, probably what MEHLMAN is talking about. Maybe you can incorporate it into this site? Give him a buzz about it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen the hack that Fred has, and it would work here. The only problem is that we get over 15,000 page views a day (much more than Fred) and it would kill the server because the hack reads the entire user database everytime the page is loaded. :(

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green,
but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
DOH! That is alot of hits a day and I can see your reasoning behind it. Oh well, just a suggestion. ;)

Dave

------------------

·
Registered
25 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F3CBRocket:
I've sat in the IRC server most of this week, and chatted with a couple of guys. Feel free to stop in and chat. I'll most likely be there.

-john

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

I have been meaning to get on the irc lately but since tONYB didnt get me my new account yet I am stuck with netzero untill I get my DSL installed. Ug somethings I just have to keep waiting for :)

------------------
Fred Folkerts
1999 Kawasaki ZX9R (Blue)
http://www.sportbikes.net- Free Bulb Contest

·
Registered
25 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbikeworld:
The only problem is that we get over 15,000 page views a day (much more than Fred) and it would kill the server because the hack reads the entire user database everytime the page is loaded. :(
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Accually this was just pulled. Average # of Hits Per Day - 18,288. This is at my site, Sportbikes.net But then again who's counting :) Any other stats you can just ask.

------------------
Fred Folkerts

[This message has been edited by White Knight (edited May 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've sat in the IRC server most of this week, and chatted with a couple of guys. Feel free to stop in and chat. I'll most likely be there.

-john

------------------
"I live with fear everyday...sometimes SHE lets me race!"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually it shouldn't slow your site down much unless you have a slow connection. Im probably running 10 different sites off the same machine and ive yet to see a slow down with sportbikes.net since we added that hack.

00'CBR600 F4 - www.sportbikes.net

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tONYB:
Actually it shouldn't slow your site down much unless you have a slow connection. Im probably running 10 different sites off the same machine and ive yet to see a slow down with sportbikes.net since we added that hack.

00'CBR600 F4 -

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tonyb,

I should have made myself more clear before. We are not running the flat txt file version of the UBB like you are, we are running the SQL version. In the flat txt version the "Whois here" does not load the entire userdatabase, it only loads a simple text file. That text file is only written to when someone accesses the forum.

As for a slow connection I don't think so. :)

Our connection:
We host our dedicated server with Digital Nation. digitalNATION's data center has connections to many different Internet backbones including UUNet, Sprint, Cable and Wireless, CRL, Qwest, Exodus, Agis and Net Axs. They also have private and direct peering DS3's set up between their location and that of American Online and PSI-Net. dN also operates its own DS3 to Mae East to peerwith many of the smaller Tier One providers as well as operating another DS3 to the ATM switch located there. They are the largest hosting service in the world with over 4000,000 domains.

My server is a Sun Netra t1 with 512megs of memory and 18 gigs of HDD space with ony 3 of my domains hosted.

I am a professional webmaster and run Sportbike World for fun. That is why I am able to host it on this machine.

:)

------------------
Robert Basil
but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Exodus.. NUFF SAID :)

Hye tONYB how is it going over there at Exodus? I am happy with the service they provide for me. Or should I say you at Exodus for me :) hehehe.

I dont like pissing contests. So I am not going to bother. I just want to make sure everyone knows the facts about our site and not rumors :)

------------------
Fred Folkerts

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Fred,

I agree. :)

P.S. Bulb is still going strong, check the Yamaha forum for an ongoing discussion on aftermarket bulbs.

------------------
Robert Basil
but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Robert,

Ohh boy.. more bulb talk. I think I am getting a headache. ahahah. Glad to hear your bulb is still going strong. I knew the 55/60 would work good in your bike since it was having some problems with mine. I think I wheelie to much.. thats my problem :)

------------------
Fred Folkerts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im up for this!! Its like yahoo where you click on something and it showes you members who are online. Robert, esportbike.com has this feature, its pretty handy.I still like this better but I drop by there on occasion.

Tiffany

------------------
"Anyone can ride fast in a straight line, it only counts in the corners..."
See my site: www.sportbikegirl.com

·
Registered
741 Posts
also, www.mustangworks.com has a forum by itself called "users currently online" so If you wanted to see who was on, you just click on that forum, instead of it loading every time the page loads! They have a bulletin board just like this one... it's a good site too! Check it out! You may not like mustangs, but, in my opinion, it's put together really nice!! :) That one and this site are the only ones I go to!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts