Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I live in Knoxville which is about 1 hour away from the gap. So if anyone goes down there it would be cool to meet up or something. I am going to go ride it sometime soon but not too sure when. I may wait till fall when traffic is not has bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
mbnickel said:


OOOooohhh, rub it in our faces why don't you John...:crying:
I was thinking of going too, but my license was recently suspended for 30 days, due to a little speeding incident last month in North Georgia.

I haven't been too lucky with the law lately, so I think I'll pass.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
748 abuser said:


I was thinking of going too, but my license was recently suspended for 30 days, due to a little speeding incident last month in North Georgia.

I haven't been too lucky with the law lately, so I think I'll pass.:(
So are you out for next weekend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Not me...

At least not anymore on the weekends.

RCjohn and 748abuser already know this but I got busted up at the Gap on July 8th. I was approaching the Cherohala Skyway and ran into a NC Highway Patrol road block. I had all my papers in order but I got a $140.00 ticket for not having a motorcycle license. Stupid me I guess...I've been street riding for years and just never got one.

Another thing....it was a SQUIDFEST when I went up there on the 8th (which was a Saturday)....which is fine if you just want to look at all the bikes and talk to all the bikers but not good for riding. I got my best riding in on the 5th...Great riding during the week.

Watch out for the NCHP if you take the short-cut to the Skyway by cutting through Joyce Kilmer State Park....they're patroling that area pretty heavy now because they know people have been trying to avoid them up 129 and turning onto 143. Just a suggestion.
Have fun :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
HUS,
My friend and I are going to be in the general area the week of July 19-Aug 4 if you're interested in riding with a couple of slow guys. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
tigerblade said:
HUS,
My friend and I are going to be in the general area the week of July 19-Aug 4 if you're interested in riding with a couple of slow guys. ;)
It"ll probably be September before I head back to that area. Although, I could make a drop-in visit...you never know. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
I'm bringing a Big Chief tablet for notes. I'm sure I'm going to get smoked but I'll just be happy to be there. (Group hug). :D

Hmmm, not one of 'yuns has a 4-cylinder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
tigerblade said:


Hmmm, not one of 'yuns has a 4-cylinder...
Well Duh. :rolleyes:

What's it with you accounting and computer people and the inline fours. Do you just get too comfortable with the high-pitched whining at work so you want it when you ride too? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I've been to the gap once and took it pretty easy for my first time. I've heard the cops are pretty bad in the entire area and have read about them on the websites. But, what speed will they let you get by with - 5 over, 10 over??? Laws were made to be broken, right?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
Scott_F4i said:
I've been to the gap once and took it pretty easy for my first time. I've heard the cops are pretty bad in the entire area and have read about them on the websites. But, what speed will they let you get by with - 5 over, 10 over??? Laws were made to be broken, right?? :D
I've only heard of them giving a couple of speeding tickets. They were a good bit over the limit. They are ticketing for no motorcycle endorsement on license and sometimes for illegal passes. Deal's Gap itself is hard to ticket anyone on because the cars don't stand a chance of catching a motorcycle and the helicopters can't keep up with you because of tree coverage not to mention that almost all of the 11 miles is in Blount County TN which doesn't take a chopper down there. The cops on the TN side are usually easy to keep up with. They park down by the lake or at the entrance to the Fotthills Parkway. The NC deputies spend most of their time at the Cherohala Skyway. The chopper can keep up with you there. I haven't notice a huge increase in law enforcement but there has been an increase. Everyone that I have talked to that got nailed by them and immediately pulled over when they saw lights, was given a warning. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
RCjohn said:


I've only heard of them giving a couple of speeding tickets. They were a good bit over the limit. They are ticketing for no motorcycle endorsement on license and sometimes for illegal passes. Deal's Gap itself is hard to ticket anyone on because the cars don't stand a chance of catching a motorcycle and the helicopters can't keep up with you because of tree coverage not to mention that almost all of the 11 miles is in Blount County TN which doesn't take a chopper down there. The cops on the TN side are usually easy to keep up with. They park down by the lake or at the entrance to the Fotthills Parkway. The NC deputies spend most of their time at the Cherohala Skyway. The chopper can keep up with you there. I haven't notice a huge increase in law enforcement but there has been an increase. Everyone that I have talked to that got nailed by them and immediately pulled over when they saw lights, was given a warning. :)
I'm pretty excited about going to the Smackdown in Sept. I'm guessing that Paul, John, and all the rest of you who live down that way, will be there also?
:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
mbnickel said:
I'm pretty excited about going to the Smackdown in Sept. I'm guessing that Paul, John, and all the rest of you who live down that way, will be there also?
:p
I wouldn't miss it. But you have to promise me you'll ride slow so I can keep up.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top