Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if most people use clear or mirrored/colored visors...

I picked up a blue mirrored one today but am now wondering how in the #%! I'm gonna clean it w/o scratching it

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ESanders2-

My choice of visor for my Arai RX7-RR4 and my Arai Quantum/F is a light smoke shield. I previously used a clear shield and a high-contrast orange shield on the Shoei helmets I've owned in the past. No funky mirrored tints for me...

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a clear shield, and cleaning is not the problem. I use water and soft paper towel or whatever, and scrub it hard and gently. I don't get scratches from that. But the shield is plenty scratched from use, mostly from big bugs hitting the shield and leaving some scratched marks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have both a clear visor and a blue irridium visor. I find that I use the clear most of the time because I don't like to use the blue visor when it's dark.

The irridium scratches really easily, so watch out. Use soapy water and a soft cotton cloth to clean it when you get bugs on it and dry it with a clean cotton towel. a soft paper towel will work ok to, as long as it is damp.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a dark smoked visor. In the summer when bugs were being splattered on it and other random garbage got on it, I cleaned it with warm water after every ride. Now I just clean it every once in a while..

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I've just got a clear visor. Much easier to just put some sunnies on when necessary. :thumb: I use warm water and paper towel to clean it, usually once or twice a day, depending on the bug siutaion.

I've also put two strips of electrical tape across the top, on the inside of the visor, to cut the sun out a bit more. If I'm in a full tuck, I can just see the horizon line.

·
Registered
892 Posts
cookeetree said:
I've also put two strips of electrical tape across the top, on the inside of the visor, to cut the sun out a bit more. If I'm in a full tuck, I can just see the horizon line.
Great idea! my way home is west and the @#[email protected] sun is always just above the horizon. that electrical tape would help a lot thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use Plexus to clean my helmets, Honda Polish for the bike, and I always use mirrored visors. They rock. At night if I am not on the highway I use a clear sheild. I carry that either in my bags or on a visor belt (pretty cool). I know that they sell them at Helmet Harbor, google it for their site.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
See, to me that's a pain. Much easier just to carry some sunnies in my pocket.

Each to their own though...

Meat_Shield - That's why I did it too. Western sun is a nightmare.

·
Registered
137 Posts
cookeetree said:
See, to me that's a pain. Much easier just to carry some sunnies in my pocket.

Each to their own though...

Meat_Shield - That's why I did it too. Western sun is a nightmare.
Cookee,
I agree, it is kind of a pain. To tell the truth I rarely change out the mirrored for the clear. I can't do the sunnies because I need glasses and I am too cheap to buy RX sunglasses.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
1percenter said:
...I can't do the sunnies because I need glasses and I am too cheap to buy RX sunglasses.
You could always buy a pair of those over-glasses you see grannies wearing. :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't even change my dark tinted visor at night.. so yes you can.

·
Registered
892 Posts
yes you can use ur tinted visor at night, i find that it really doesnt darken to much...but its the little thing that it does that will get you into trouble. If you have a clear visor, wear it at night.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Cleaning: old t-shirt and water in old spray bottle. Do immediately after ride and there will be no bug problems.

BTW, I have a Blue Spectra shield for a Shoei RF900 for sale :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ESanders2-

That wasn't a silly question at all. I frequently use my light smoke shields at night without any problems. The only reason I would transition to clear is if I was starting my journey at night and would be riding for hours until dawn. Other than that, it really isn't worth the effort.

In practical terms, there is plenty ambient light to make vision easy. If you're in more desolate areas, you can just flick on the highbeam if you need more light. In areas with lots of traffic, the light tint is just enough to take the "harshness" off of oncoming vehicles.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I have one on my old Shoei, loved it. Have one on my ICON helmet now, scratched really easily though. :( Someone told me to get a clear one and take it to a tint shop and have it tinted to whatever I wanted, being that the tint is on the inside of the visor, it will not scratch as easily. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts