Votes: 7 14.9%
  • PIRELLI DRAGONS GTS

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why the Macadems? I've seen a lot of cupping on the front Macadems on other bikes. Can you compare to the 205's that came stock on your bike? My rear tire at 4,500 miles is about 50% used.

·
Registered
176 Posts
tire recommendation

I also recommend the michelin macadam 100x i have not experienced any cupping, from this model as opposed to the 90x (cupped badly) I ride these tires hard and they are always there for me. thats my .02 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have been using Avon Azaro IIs Av35/36 and so far have no complaints. Heat up quick, stick very well and so far wear is minimal. Last set of tyres were Dunlop 205s, worked pretty but at 8500 miles they were shot front tyre was toast long before the rear, last 2000 miles on them were an adventure to say the least. Trying not to get stuck on brand specific and see what other tyres have to offer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ride pretty hard and make frequent trips to Deals Gap and hwy 116 since both are close to me. My BT020 that came on my ZRX lasted 6k. It was all blue for about 1" along the edge on each side. I had heard good things about the Macadam 100x so I gave that a try. I've got 4k on it and it is slick on the sides. It sticks about the same as the BT020 but it didn't last as long as the Bridgestone. I'm reserving my vote till I try a few more tires. I do like the dual compound aspect of the newer tires so the center lasts longer.
I'm going with the new Avon or Metzler next. My BT020 on the front lasted 7500 miles and I'm running a BT010 now. I'll be lucky if it makes it to 6k.
Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two new tires this year to choose from and heard great things about each one

1st: Avon AV45/46:) , replaces the 35/36 with about 30 percent more mileage

2nd: Michelin Pilot road:D , replaces the macadems 100x's, this will be my next tire:) It has the grip of the Pilot sport with the mileage of the 100x's:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just picked up the new PILOT ROAD sat.:) , will be putting them on in June:drool: :drool: , have to wait for my other tire to wear out:cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just put a set of Pilot roads on the Trophy. Gave It Daytona Handling even with the soft front end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Metzler Sportec M-1

I was very impressed with the feel of the M-1's
when I first tested them out on my VFR; no complaints at all;
However upon returning from a 1,700 mile round trip from detroit to NYC I have mixed reviews.....
The front tire is pristine, no cupping, nice even wear......
The back tire's is wearing heavy in the center .......

both tires are inflated to 42 psi

Any ideas ????

-viff:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
daves,
That M1 is a sport tire so the milage is going to be fairly low due to the soft compound.
I just finished up a Metzler MEZ4. Igotta say thumbs down. The edges on both sides looks like I took a file to them. And when you get over on that edge the ZRex just steps out on me. And I have a very smooth and consistant throttle hand. On top of that I only got about 2k miles on it. My last front tire was a BT010 Bridgestone. 3500 miles tops. I went back to the BT020 on the front but it doesn't offer the grip I need. Avons are going on next.
Mark

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the MEZ4, good tire, could use more traction:) .

Had the Pilot Roads, great traction:D , mileage sucked, rear was shot at 4,000 miles:( , front could make maybe 7,000:(

Now for the latest and greatest:D

Avons AV45/46 Miles 4,000:)

Front: zero cupping:cool: , wearing perfectly even:D sticks like glue, projected mileage over 10,000:D :D

Rear: zero chicken strips, no flat spots sticks great, projected mileage 6,000

air pressure: 42/42 under 50 degrees 38/40

I have tried the following

Dunlops, all cup:hurl:

Bridgestones BT0-10 cup BT0-20 cup good rear mileage

MEZ4'S No cupping:D , good mileage, they slip when pushed hard

Pilot Roads: everybit as good as the Avons except 30 percent less mileage:(

Avons is the only tire manufacture who offers a warrenty:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Avons next. It sounds like you're having good luck with them and they have gotten rave reviews in the mags. Thanks for the info. It seems strange but I haven't had any front tires cup on my ZRX yet. I've only run one BT010 and two BT020's though. Every bike I've had in the past has had the problem with cupping on various tires.
Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
Avon ST 45 & 46

Avon ST 45/46: Love this tire - great feel, planted front, only locked rear once, 3k mi and no visible sign of wear, no strips on front or rear, sweet performance.

I ride a CBR1000F, 550 lbs and 63 lb-ft of torque, use it all in the twisties.

Nice tire. Utterly confidence-inspiring.

cdma2k

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Put an avon t46 rear on last friday.
Put about 500 miles on it since then, 250 of them were very hard. no complaints on handling, its stuck great the whole time, even when i hit a light patch of gravel in a corner. (that was probably luck thou). i cant say i noticed any handly difference between it and the BT010 i had before.
the only indication i have on milage was that the little nubs on the tire are outright invincible and they are still on.
(not for luck of trying)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Been wanting to try to MeZ6. not yet available in the proper size.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2003 Hayabusa with 7000 miles on the Original Bridgestone BT-56 J type tires , front is doing fine 4 mill left, rear is near the wear indicators with maybe another 1000 miles until I put on Another stock BT-56 J Type back on her.
And this was all after the guy who put the machine together at the dealer with 0 miles did a burn out that erased at least 1millimeter of tread......
soooo I would say these tires are long lasting.
And sticky enough for the street. in fact stickyer that those dunlops on my 2002 R1 were......

·
Registered
18 Posts
AVON AV46ST

This tire rocks, I was running dunlop 208's on my gixxer 750 and it seemed to slip everytime I hit a little sand, plus since I do commute back and forth to work(half fwy&half twisty 100mi a day)I was wearing out the middle by 3400mi. I put the avon on about 3000 miles miles ago and I might be about half way there with perfectly even wear. I havent slipped once and Ive been through sand a few times. Oh, about those friggen nubs on the edge of the tire, just pull those suckers off cause there bulletproof.

·
Registered
76 Posts
sport touring tire

I've run everything mentioned and there is no majic tire that lasts and gets long wear characteristics. I keep up tire pressure regular.....My neew ST has the Stones and I am glad....folks on STOC really slam the dunlop....friend ran set of the new Dunlop oin his VFR and the rear wsa gone real quick....course he pushed it like it was a 208. So far the Stone sticks good...doesnt like tar strips on highways at all...neither do I ! SO far these BT020 rock...no cupping noticed on front yet....though I will keep up and post up on how long they last......

·
Registered
76 Posts
BT020

Addendum to above,
A bit over 5k on the rear tire now and there is much tire left on it.
I have to agree with the fellow BBird....these Stones are pretty surefotted, the MEZ4 I ran on my TL had an amount of controlled slip...I just didnt like....My friend with the VFR I mentioned above just went through the Avon quicker than he wanted...mabey we are riding too hard if that is possiable... I have yet to try the Pilot Road but it looks alot like a Macadam...no matter...Keep on riding..
Oh by the way 3 weeks to Daytona.....are we all going ?ought to hook up somewhere......some of us STN ers..

Rodm850g

·
Registered
264 Posts
AV 45/46:thumb: Commuting 95mi a day, I put 11k on them;they're just to the wear bars(flat in the middle).I don't have any complaints,but forget trying to use the warrantee if you got them on the internet:confused: I would definately buy them again. That said, I'm going to order a set o Roads in the next week or so,see how they compair

Matt

PS I am going from a(stock)150/16"rr to a 170/17"rr

1 - 20 of 23 Posts