Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in another thread, thought it was a good question. Be sure to give details.
I for dropped my first hurricane 3 times. Once coming up on a stop sign and grabbing alot of front without seeing the sand in the road.Whoops, there went 1000.
2nd time the ass end came out from underneath me while shifting to 2nd in the middle of a turn. Whoops, there went another 1000.
3rd time low sided on some leaves in a turn. Whoops, end over end, no fixy this time.
This was within a few months.

·
Registered
489 Posts
First time i fell of my bike i was at stand still. It was an old 125
2-stroke . It cut out on me and in the panic to get it restarted I jumped on the kick start so hard i fell over and the bike came too. Right on its side in the middle of the road at a junction. Boy was that embarassing.

Injurys

One broken clutch lever
One dented ego!!!:D

·
Registered
865 Posts
My first STREET bike......GS1000....only hit the ground
when I was in a hurry and did not put the kickstand
all the way down....very embarrassing..put 30,000
miles on that bike....

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmm define dropped..

Ok

First moped. layed into a side walk very dumb.. 12 years old

First Scooter.. 125 Honda Elite..at 14 took a turn too fast. face into a curb.. Ouch

First Bike.. Intereceptor 500 16 in a turn in a canyon, just slid from under me was doing about 20 MPH..

First Rental drop.. GS500E in greece at 18. Thought I was on asphalt similar to California, but in the greek isles, it was ver slippery.. so the front ran away.

Last, but certainly not least.. an idiot cager parked on the side of the road decides to pull out and do a uturn at once.. Lets just that car was also totaled..

Bottom line.. you ride you drop.. :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, dropped the Yamaha 400 special that I learned on by hitting a patch of gravel. Then I dropped the '89 Hurricane that I had after that pushing it around. That was the last thing I dropped but not the last wreck. Got hit by someone on my F2, and destroyed a TL-R on a target fixation excercise :D :( .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Technically speaking, no. I never did drop that YSR 50! ;)

I dropped my first full sized bike three times:

1) First time around the parking lot, first time riding it, I forgot to put my feet down when I stopped. (That's a mistake one tends to make only once.) I couldn't save the fall but I did leave my leg under the bike so no damage was sustained. :cool:

2) Same day, I had graduated from parking lot circles to riding around the abandoned residential streets of Ft. Ord, CA. My first 90 degree right turn, I panicked. I didn't trust my lean, or the bike and ran into a curb instead. The bike fell over completely, cracked the upper and the turn signal. The rest of the day was spent upright. :rolleyes:

3) about 1 month later, I was down at the DMV practicing the CA riders test. I was definitely not skilled enough. (CA riders know that test is a biatch!). YZF600R's were never made to go in a circle that small! Broke the mirror on that one, which was promptly launched into the neighboring parking lot, and the chain link fence was dented from repeated kicking. I got really drunk that night. :mad: :crying:

I can laugh at it now, but I was about as mad as I've ever gotten on that third drop. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was gonna post a poll on this Monday! What timing!

I also feel a little better now. Not much, but a little.

I have dropped my current bike 3 times.

1. Pulled up in front of the house. Left the bike in neutral while "I run inside real quick!" I got about 12 steps before I heard the crash.
Lesson - always turn off the bike if you are going to be more then 1 step away.
Damage - one left fairing and one clutch lever
Added frame savers after that!

2. Doing a u-turn on a country road where the road is more like gravel held together with tar. The shoulder collapsed under the front tire and down she went.
Lesson - give yourself plenty of room when doing a three-point u turn. If in doubt back it up and get more in the middle of the road.
Damage - scratches to the left fairing (again)!

3. Up the hill and into a lefty doing about 40 and lo and behold there is a stop sign at a T-intersection. The space adjacent to the stop sign was occupied by a large box type delivery truck. I got on the brakes and the bike stood up. Hit some leaves and the back started to skid. Off the brakes in time to get onto the shoulder where there were alot more leaves on the grass. Thought I could save it.........I was wrong. Down she goes on her left side again! :mad:
Lesson - don't go as fast when there are a lot of leaves on the road and know the road better. (Can you ever really know a road?)
Damage - Cracked left fairing. Bent shifter. Glad I have the frame savers and boots.

I am going to be nice to myself and qualify only one of these as a true "get-off/laydown/accident". :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I must be pretty lucky that in the 3-1/2 years of riding I never dumped anything. Almost did during my riding exam twice though. It was in a hick town with sand and gravel all over the lot, so the arse slid a little during the slalom, and the front locked during my braking test. The next closest time was on the ZX-11 going about 45 up the road and let the clutch out too fast turning into the local hang-out. The back wheel did some screaming and everyone was watching. Pulled that one out my butt and ended up looking pretty cool...beads of sweat falling and all. Shoulda lost that one I am afraid. Then there was the time on the Katana at 80 on the interstate that a damn semi decided to yank his wheel over and cut about 3 feet in front of me. Changing of shorts required. :twofinger

·
Registered
702 Posts
I dropped my 1st Bike the 2nd Day I had it. I dropped it 3 times after that. And these weren't wrecks, I actually dropped it LMAO Once in at a Stop sign, Once in a parking lot, and another time down in Savannah. The one in Savannah would be closer to a wreck, I pulled into a spot and the front tire slid out on some sand.

Thank god i haven't dropped the 2nd Bike yet :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Amber6 said:
Everyone says that you will dump your bike at least once in your life, but I sure hope to prove them all wrong. :D

I've always been told that a good rule of thumb was that you would have it made if you survived the first three wrecks.

What's that one saying about experience and luck and not running out of luck?.......

·
Registered
279 Posts
1) doing the slow slalom test in the MSF course. 3 things i learned: the bike is a lot heavier when it's laying on your leg. DO NOT LOOK AT THE DAMN CONE! And Helmets really do work!
2) i was riding to work, pulling to a stop in traffic. right before i put my feet down (still rolling) i hit a puddle of anti-freeze and down went Chachi. managed to get my leg outta the way this time. Scratches to the left side plastic, bar slider, engine cover.

Amber, some day you'll see just how much that bike really weighs.
;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Still on the 1st one...

Still on my first bike... so far it's been buggered (while I've had it) 3 times in about as many months...

1) 1st day, I was practicing letting out the clutch in front of my house... decided U-turns would be the easiest way to do that (oops) I was dumb.... wasn't gonna make the turn, went in a panic to grab the clutch and front brake. Ended up grabbing the front brake and rolling back on it at the same time as I was leaned over. Damage to my knee, puncture on the left fairing and broken tab on the left access panel.

2) Coming back from a lake, decided to get it up in speed a little... had it up to 200 kilometers per hour when I looked down and saw the left access panel (the one minus a tab) sticking out, caught by the wind. Looked up just in time to see a semi drive by in the opposite direction, the windblast off the semi ripped 2/3's of the front fairing off, which hit me and proceeded to bounce down the highway.

3) After getting all of that fixed, I was at my GF's house and when I came out the bike was laying on it's side (the right one this time) all scratched up. Damn neighbours.

Thanks god it's winter... JJ's. I did good after my first two dumbass manouvers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Still on the 1st one...

Speedboy3 said:
Still on my first bike... so far it's been buggered (while I've had it) 3 times in about as many months...

1) 1st day, IComing back from a lake, decided to get it up in speed a little... had it up to 200k when I looked down and saw the left access panel (the one minus a tab) sticking out, caught by the wind. Looked up just in time to see a semi drive by in the opposite direction, the windblast off the semi ripped 2/3's of the front fairing off, which hit me and proceeded to bounce down the highway.

3) After getting all of that fixed, I was at my GF's house and when I came out the bike was laying on it's side (the right one this time) all scratched up. Damn neighbours.

Thanks god it's winter... JJ's. I did good after my first two dumbass manouvers.

200,000 rpm, now I know why your called speedboy

·
Registered
178 Posts
The first day I I had the old VF500F: It was getting dark, and I didn't want to park it in the street. My older brother told me to park it in our yard behind our boat, to hide it. He also told me to put the stand under a hunk of wood so it would not sink and tip over.
Well, I got a big old piece of wood and put it under my center stand (bad idea). Well I took 2 steps back before the one side of my center stand slipped off the wood, I grab the clip-on facing me trying to hold it up (I go about 155 lb, so fat chance). So the bike goes over, flinging me on top of it.
But thats not the bad part, you see it was a little to close to the boat, it fell (with me) on the the propeller, as I live and breath, on the damn prop.
Tore a HUGE hole in the gas tank, and the seat. I'm not sure, but I may have shed a tear that night.

B

·
0 Posts
lets see 1st bike no. i only had it a month before i traded it in on the bike i have now so this one should count as first bike. lets see i got hit from behind going to work. rear tire gave out from me while turning from a light that just turn green, got hit from the side by a car leaving a parking lot ( thank god that a fence kept me up ). had to drop my bike on purpose to prevent slamming in to my dads shop ( sportbikes dont break good on dirt ). lets see my bike been hit by a car while parked by a car, and was hit by another bike with saddle bags while parked. droped it going down my parents dirt road. drop at work in the parking lot which is dirt and i found out that the front wheel was flat. that will be it for now. im not mentioning other things i did when i was younger ( that involve leaving bars) and of course i was stupid about that 8 yrs ago. ironicaly majority of this happen when i lived in norfolk, va. if u want to know how many people i gave the fingure to for trying to run over me on the road u have to start a new post.:D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Amber6 said:

I tangled with a runaway skateboard a couple months ago, didn't dump;
caught some bad air going about 120 over some hills on my way home from the AMA races at Road America...caused a mini-tankslapper, didn't dump;
was leaned over in a turn at about 45 mph, hit some mushy sealer strip..slid my front tire out, didn't dump;
hit a nasty bump in a leaned over turn with a group ride with some HRC guys, caused my ass to fly up off my seat, and my foot to fly off my peg, didn't dump;
ran over a blob of raccoon guts and body parts at about 110, didn't dump;
was sitting on my bike, backing it out of a parking area, foot slipped on some sand, (can barely touch my feet on the ground anyway), but my boot caught some solid pavement before it was too late, didn't dump.
Seems I shoulda started on an R6 cause I wasn't so madly skilled or lucky.

Started on a CB900F in ~91. $1000 dollar bike after getting hooked by a free MSF course.

Lets see:
1st real good one: parked it under the armco in a 20 mile an hour curve after getting distracted by the kids playing on the side of the turn. End result: toss the bullet faring that came from the previous owner. Lesson: look where you want to go cause you go where you look.
2nd pretty good one: Gassed it coming out of a hair pin in a neighborhood and found out there must have been sand as it wasn't too long after winter and I was on my ass faster than you can say "lets think about how much throttle to use". End result: nothing to worry about cause it was only a $1000 bike, maybe some new grips. Lesson: Illinois sucks for riding after winter (oh and maybe something to do with when and where to use lots of throttle).

Dropped it several times when the side stand went through asphault or I put my foot in gravel coming to a stop etc.

End result, sold bike after 15k miles (including a camp by the side of the road trip from Southern Illinois to San Diego and back) for $500 bucks. Overall a great time and a lot of lessons for $500.

BTW, havn't had a bike yet without crashing once. Ride hard and you learn a lot through your mistakes.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I never dropped my first bike, I did drop my second bike once, and I've crashed a few times on the track with my Gixxer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well I dumped mine going on my riding exam...smashed right into the test guy..I'll never forget the look on his face that split second before I T-Boned him:hurl:
Scratched my pipe and mirror, but other than that my bike was perfect. Sometimes naked bikes come in handy:D
Oh...I failed the test too:crying:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I dumped my first bike, a Yamaha Seca II. Taking a left at a sloped intersection, I'm still not sure exactly what I did wrong. Dumped it in front of a bunch of cagers. One of the cagers got out and helped me with the bike - turned out he rode too and was very sympathetic.

I've "dropped" my current bike (VTR) at a standstill several times. At least twice because of the damn disc lock - I'll never use one again. Once or twice by stopping on gravel and my foot slipping out on me. *Nearly* dropped it while standing next to it on the hard shoulder on I-95 in southern Virginia - got stopped by a cop and was standing by the bike waiting. A semi came by and the wind blast pushed the bike off the sidestand. I grabbed the clipon *just* in time to save it. Never had any real damage other than a bent rear brake lever and scuffed bar ends. The VTR falls down well. :D

I still haven't wrecked at speed, knock on wood, but I have been riding along with a distressing number of people when THEY have gone down.
1) Deals gap - friend goes down by grabbing the front brake in a turn. Twisted forks and some busted bodywork. No big deal.
2) On the way to an amusement park, different guy dumps his bike when he hits a pothole while turning left at an intersection.
3) Same buddy dumps on a local road by taking a turn on cold tires. Bike totalled.
4) Same buddy's engine blows up on highway in New England. POS Triumph Daytona - didn't dump it, but wishes he had since he's been fighting with Triumph over lemon law issues ever since.
5) Different buddy goes into a turn too hot on same trip, stands it up and dumps in a ditch. Bike totalled.
6) Group ride to Rt. 211 in VA, one of the group lowsides into a ditch. Minor damage.
7) Friend hits a deer at 50mph right in front of me, totals the bike AND the deer. Friend is okay due to full leathers, boots and armor.

Probably a few more I've blocked from my memory. Does my karma get BETTER or WORSE by seeing so many and not being involved in any (yet)? :(

1 - 20 of 66 Posts