Sportbike World banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
i realize this is an old post and it already has a solution but i moved from cali to new mexico (5000ft altitude difference) and i started to notice a whine in my bike ONLY after i moved up in altitude. seems to be the same whine as described above and it is a new bike (had about 1500 miles on it now has 2500) thinks its most likely the same as described above?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Most likely...Newer bikes very rarely have anything wrong with the trans, and if there were, it would be a lot more noticeable than just a whining sound...So go out & ride.............

·
Registered
892 Posts
thx rundog, will do. Just thought i'd check.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 03 ZX6. I also live at high altitude (Salt Lake City). I had my bike serviced (not for that issue), they shimmed the valves, and it seemed to go away. I think it is not too big a deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I wear a helmet, but I do know what you mean about the extra hearing capability. I will check for excessive chain/sprocket wear as you guys suggest, but I noticed something today, which might help to narrow the problem down a little. I noticed that 2nd and 4th gear seem to make noticably more noise than any other gear. I don't know the signifigance of this observation, if any, but maybe it is pointing at something internal?
I have a 2006 ZZR600, and it whines loudly in 4th gear, and a little in 5th and 6th. I don't believe it always did this, and I'm concerned that it's counter shaft bearing wear (causing microscopic shaft and gear deflection), because of a trip I did directly after having the bike serviced and the chain over-tightened. I only noticed the chain tension when I got home, 400 miles later! Some consolation: it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd check to see if a wheel or the chain is rubbing on something. If they put an oversize tire on, that could be rubbing. There are all kinds of things that could rub. I've seen fenders that get knocked a little so they rub. Put it up on stands and spin the wheels BY HAND.
Turn your engine off and coast down a quiet hill and listen to your drive train.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts